Hello IOTA Forum

Best practices for using the IOTA wallets safely

https://forum.helloiota.com/Topic1973.aspx

By EricHop - 30 Nov 2017

IOTA is a protocol designed for use by IoT devices. These devices will happily follow any rules to use the protocol strictly, optimally and safe. Sadly, humans are not so good at following rules -if they know them at all- and they often have no idea of the consequences of certain actions. So I decided to write a list of best practices and explain the why in this article.

Here are the rules:

RULE 1: NEVER generate your seed online.

RULE 2: NEVER give your seed to anyone.

RULE 3: ALWAYS store a copy of your seed some place safe

RULE 4: NEVER re-use an address. NEVER. NO exceptions.

RULE 5: ALWAYS attach a new receive address to the Tangle.

RULE 6: ALWAYS wait for a transaction to be confirmed before sending anything else.

And here are the whys:

-------

Rule 1-3 all have to do with your seed. The seed is literally the master key to your wallet. Whoever has the key controls the wallet and the iotas therein. So it is very important to have a few best practices that help you keep  your seed safe.

Because iotas have monetary value there are a lot of nasty people out there ready to try and relieve you of your iota stash. One way they do this is by offering to generate a seed for you. Don't fall for it!!! Most, if not all online seed generators are designed to make your seed vulnerable. They either will copy the seed or generate a seed from a limited number of random seeds. And as we have seen in the beginning of January some of them have a lot of patience. All of a sudden over 4 million USD worth of iotas got stolen by the operator of a popular seed generator.
Generating a seed isn't difficult. You just need to know the right method to use. Here are 3 methods to do it yourself:

Method 1. Make up a string of random, unrelated words. Mix in weird words or foreign words. Really, that's the simplest and safest way to go. With 81 characters it is impossible for anyone to guess them as long as you keep them unrelated.
Example (spaces are for readability only): FLOWER BEER JE MAINTIENDRAI CLOCKWORK SHELDON ELDERBERRIES BLITZKRIEG OVENMITT AUTOCORRUPT

Method 2. Use a single finger and slowly type 81 random letters. Just let your finger go around and around and sometimes let it go down. Purposely trying to make it random is okay. Just try to avoid patterns, which is why quickly mashing fingers on the keyboard is not a good idea. If you want, you can throw a 9 in here and there for good measure. Once you have 81 of them, replace some random letters with other random letters, just to make sure you break any patters you unwittingly used.
Example: KUWVQZOVFENI9GTESKPLJKMVFTETTKGSWQBMOPHTJLOHRRGKOKNHKKECDSKNSFFHGKBPYU9NVDL9ECVMB

Method 3: Warning: This method is only for people who actually know what they are doing and what I am talking about. There are a local/offline secure random generators available with most major operating systems. I won't go into detail here to prevent the noob users from using them. You really want to know what you are doing. Mac and Linux for example offer /dev/urandom. If this does not mean anything to you, just use method 1 or 2 instead.

Again, there are many predators out there. Some of them will even pretend to be part of the IOTA foundation and offer to help you if you ask for help with a problem in any of the help channels.
Be paranoid in those cases where such a person asks for your seed. Once you give it they will quickly empty your wallet. Most problems you will encounter can be solved without ever giving up your seed to anyone.

Protect yourself from ever losing your iotas. Keep one or more copies of your seed in safe places. Make sure that it is not easy for anyone to get a quick peek at them. Remember, mobile devices are cameras and snapping a picture of your seed is very easily done. Best to separate your seed in two parts and keep them stored away from each other. I recommend 2 bank safes at 2 different banks. Especially when the amount of iotas becomes large this is no overkill. And while you're at it make sure that it includes a succession list in case anything happens to you and maybe include some trusted persons that can help your heirs get their hands on the funds. Nothing sadder than sitting on a million worth of iotas and no one being able to access them when you die.

--------

Rule 4-6 all have to do with multi-spending. Which is spending more than once from the same address. The problem here is that IOTA uses one-time signatures. After spending addresses are not supposed to be used any more because in the process of spending a random 50% of the private key to the address gets exposed. This in itself is not a problem, any funds arriving after a single spend are still pretty safe. Breaking the other 50% of the key is still a daunting task.

But when a second spend happens on the same address a new random 50% of the private key for that address gets exposed. Theoretically, statistics will tell you that now 75% of the private key is exposed. But here is the difference between theory and practice. Since it is a *random* 50% of the key that gets exposed, you could be unlucky enough that both 50% exposures only have a 10% overlap. In which case a whopping 90% of your key is exposed already! In which case your private key is toast and broken relatively easy.

So in short: 2 or more spends from the same address is VERY BAD!

Now let's see what scenarios could occur that will end up in a multi-spend and why these rules are good:

I can immediately hear some people say: "But you are allowed to receive multiple times at a address!" And they are technically correct. IoT devices will do this all the time. But they have the advantage of knowing exactly what the parties they are talking to are going to do and when. So they can safely do this. Here is a scenario that shows just one example of why it is a bad idea to send multiple times to the same address:

Let's say I withdraw X iotas from an exchange to address A in my wallet. The whole process takes a little time, but I end up with X iota in address A.

Encouraged by this success I decide to withdraw another Y iotas to that same address A. After all, I can send *to* an address multiple times, right? So I put in the order and the exchange starts processing the order. Note that this processing can sometimes take hours or even days.

In the mean time I tell my friend about IOTA, and to encourage him I want to send him a few (let's say Z) iotas. So he installs the wallet and gives me a receive address B. I tell the wallet to send Z iotas to address B. The wallet happily obliges and takes the iotas in address A, sends Z iotas to address B, and -to guard address A from multi-spending- it also sends the remaining X - Z iotas safely to a newly generated address C in my wallet.

Everything seems okay so far. But with one problem: The exchange did not process my withdrawal yet. When it finally does process it, the Y iotas will be sent to address A just like I instructed. Except that address now already has an earlier spend on it! Oops!

This situation could have been simply avoided by generating a new address D for the second withdrawal and using that instead of address A.
So case in point: NEVER re-use an address. Not even for receiving.

I can immediately hear some people say: "But you don't really *have* to do this!" And again, they are technically correct. It is perfectly fine to send iotas to an address that was not attached to the Tangle explicitly. They will arrive just fine. Again, IoT devices do this all the time, but they also keep track of what addresses they gave out as receive addresses.

The IOTA wallet does it differently. Because it is possible to install the wallet on different devices, and log in both wallets with the same seed, the developers are determining the state of the wallet directly from the Tangle. That way both wallets will respond the same to events. Otherwise one could have kept track of some important addresses and the other would have no knowledge of that. Pretty elegant solution.

But this solution comes with a hidden cost. To understand this we need to look at how the wallet decides which addresses have been used already. It does that by asking the node it is connected to for a list of transactions that incorporate that address. If there are no transactions yet it concludes that it has not used the address yet.

By attaching an address to the Tangle you explicitly create a zero-transfer transaction for that address. Now the wallet can find that transaction in the Tangle, so it knows it is in use already. And yes, in case someone sends iotas to that address, the wallet can find that transaction in the tangle and again sees that it is in use already. Therefore we don't need to explicitly attach it, right? Bzzzzt! *Wrong*!!

Let's say I have X iotas in address A. I decide to withdraw another Y iotas from the exchange to address B. That's what I learned from rule 1. Use a different address. I don't bother explicitly attaching address B to the Tangle, because I was told before that that was not strictly necessary. So I put in the order and the exchange starts processing the order. Which again takes time.

To spread more joy I decide to send Z iotas to my friend again. I initiate the transfer, and this time the wallet can take from address A, send Z iotas to my friend's address, and then it wants to send the remaining X - z iotas to a new receive address. So it looks in the tangle which address is not in use already. Aha! Address B is not used yet. So it merrily sends the results to address B. Oh dear. Now we are in the same situation as we were in with rule 1.

So if we now decide to send another amount of iotas to another friend, we will be spending address B before the withdrawal *to* address B has executed. And we end up with a guaranteed multi-spend again.

This situation could have been simply avoided by explicitly attaching address B to the Tangle. In which case the wallet would have seen it was in use already, and it would have sent the remainder to a new address C instead.
So case in point: ALWAYS attach a new receive address to the Tangle.

RULE 6: ALWAYS wait for a transaction to be confirmed before sending anything else.

I can immediately hear some people say: "But the wallet will keep me from multi-spending!" And again, they are technically correct. The wallet will check before spending if there already has been a confirmed spend on the address, and won't allow a second spend in that case. But consider the following scenario:

I have X iotas in address A. I now decide to send Y iotas to an exchange. This will generate a transaction #1 spending Y iotas from address A.
Now I also decide to send my friend his Z iotas before transaction #1 has been confirmed. Since the wallet still sees the X iotas in address A it will happily generate transaction #2 spending Z iotas from address A. Oops! Two spends from the same address.

This situation could have been simply avoided by waiting for transaction #1 to be confirmed before sending transaction #2.
So case in point: ALWAYS wait for a transaction to be confirmed before sending anything else.

Note that a lot of these situations are even muddier because you have no idea what address(es) the wallet is going to pick as input(s) for sending iotas somewhere.

Also note that I only provide one example of where things can go wrong for each rule. Things become even muddier when snapshots happen. But that is something for another article.
By Legomannen - 30 Nov 2017

Hello Eric, 

While I believe those are great rules and a good contribution that people needs to be aware of, I feel that RULE#1 is overly prohibitive and strictly phrased, so it ends up creating worries rather than removing them.

If you typically make 1 transfer a month (which currently is probably the typical usage pattern for most human users, unless you are a developer and/or like to play around and testing stuff)
+ you know that there are no pending transfers, and you know that no outgoing transfers have ever been made from the address you are sending into 
then you will be just fine with receiving to the same address multiple times.

So for a very active user who 24/7 transfers IOTA here and there, on-the-fly from their mobile while on a bus: 
then yes, I would agree with your emphasizing of NEVER in rule 1.

But for someone who for the most part passively stores value, I think it is a bit over the top.

Also, iotasear.ch now remembers history across snapshots, so you would be able to check since the beginning of time if you had ever sent out from that address. 

Kind regards

By Carpincho - 1 Dec 2017

EricHop - 30 Nov 2017
IOTA is a protocol designed for use by IoT devices. These devices will happily follow any rules to use the protocol strictly, optimally and safe. Sadly, humans are not so good at following rules -if they know them at all- and they often have no idea of the consequences of certain actions. So I decided to write a list of best practices and explain the why in this article.

Here are the rules:

RULE 1: NEVER re-use an address. NEVER. NO exceptions.

RULE 2: ALWAYS attach a new receive address to the Tangle.

RULE 3: ALWAYS wait for a transaction to be confirmed before sending anything else.

And here are the whys:

It all has to do with multi-spending. Which is spending more than once from the same address. The problem here is that IOTA uses one-time signatures. After spending addresses are not supposed to be used any more because in the process of spending a random 50% of the private key to the address gets exposed. This in itself is not a problem, any funds arriving after a single spend are still pretty safe. Breaking the other 50% of the key is still a daunting task.

But when a second spend happens on the same address a new random 50% of the private key for that address gets exposed. Theoretically, statistics will tell you that now 75% of the private key is exposed. But here is the difference between theory and practice. Since it is a *random* 50% of the key that gets exposed, you could be unlucky enough that both 50% exposures only have a 10% overlap. In which case a whopping 90% of your key is exposed already! In which case your private key is toast and broken relatively easy.

Now let's see what scenarios could occur that will end up in a multi-spend and why these rules are good:

RULE 1: NEVER re-use an address. NEVER. NO exceptions.

I can immediately hear some people say: "But you are allowed to receive multiple times at a address!" And they are technically correct. IoT devices will do this all the time. But they have the advantage of knowing exvactly what the parties they are talking to are going to do and when. So they can safely do this. Here is a scenario that shows just one example of why it is a bad idea to send multiple times to the same address:

Let's say I withdraw X iotas from an exchange to address A in my wallet. The whole process takes a little time, but I end up with X iota in address A.

Encouraged by this success I decide to withdraw another Y iotas to that same address A. After all, I can send *to* an address multiple times, right? So I put in the order and the exchange starts processing the order. Note that this processing can sometimes take hours or even days.

In the mean time I tell my friend about IOTA, and to encourage him I want to send him a few (let's say Z) iotas. So he installs the wallet and gives me a receive address B. I tell the wallet to send Z iotas to address B. The wallet happily obliges and takes the iotas in address A, sends Z iotas to address B, and -to guard address A from multi-spending- it also sends the remaining X - Z iotas safely to a newly generated address C in my wallet.

Everything seems okay so far. But with one problem: The exchange did not process my withdrawal yet. When it finally does process it, the Y iotas will be sent to address A just like I instructed. Except that address now already has an earlier spend on it! Oops!

This situation could have been simply avoided by generating a new address D for the second withdrawal and using that instead of address A.

RULE 2: ALWAYS attach a new receive address to the Tangle.

I can immediately hear some people say: "But you don't really *have* to do this!" And again, they are technically correct. It is perfectly fine to send iotas to an address that was not attached to the Tangle explicitly. They will arrive just fine. Again, IoT devices do this all the time, but they also keep track of what addresses they gave out as receive addresses.

The IOTA wallet does it differently. Because it is possible to install the wallet on different devices, and log in both wallets with the same seed, the developers are determining the state of the wallet directly from the Tangle. That way both wallets will respond the same to events. Otheriwse one could have kept track of some important addresses and the other would have no knowledge of that. Pretty elegant solution.

But this solution comes with a hidden cost. To understand this we need to look at how the wallet decides which addresses have been used already. It does that by asking the node it is connected to for a list of transactions that incorporate that address. If there are no transactions yet it concludes that it has not used the address yet.

By attaching an address to the Tangle you explicitly create a zero-transfer transaction for that address. Now the wallet can find that transaction in the Tangle, so it knows it is in use already. And yes, in case someone sends iotas to that address, the wallet can find that transaction in the tangle and again sees that it is in use already. Therefore we don't need to explicitly attach it, right? Bzzzzt! *Wrong*!!

Let's say I have X iotas in address A. I decide to withdraw another Y iotas from the exchange to address B. That's what I learned from rule 1. Use a different address. I don't bother explicitly attaching address B to the Tangle, because I was told before that that was not strictly necessary. So I put in the order and the exchange starts processing the order. Which again takes time.

To spread more joy I decide to send Z iotas to my friend again. I initiate the transfer, and this time the wallet can take from address A, send Z iotas to my friend's address, and then it wants to send the remaining X - z iotas to a new receive address. So it looks in the tangle which address is not in use already. Aha! Address B is not used yet. So it merrily sends the results to address B. Oh dear. Now we are in the same situation as we were in with rule 1.

So if we now decide to send another amount of iotas to another friend, we will be spending address B before the withdrawal *to* address B has executed. And we end up with a guaranteed multi-spend again.

This situation could have been simply avoided by explicitly attaching address B to the Tangle. In which case the wallet would have seen it was in use already, and it would have sent the remainder to a new address C instead.

RULE 3: ALWAYS wait for a transaction to be confirmed before sending anything else.

I can immediately hear some people say: "But the wallet will keep me from multi-spending!" And again, they are technically correct. The wallet will check before spending if there already has been a confirmed spend on the address, and won't allow a second spend in that case. But consider the following scenario:

I have X iotas in address A. I now decide to send Y iotas to an exchange. This will generate a transaction #1 spending Y iotas from address A.
Now I also decide to send my friend his Z iotas before transaction #1 has been confirmed. Since the wallet still sees the X iotas in address A it will happily generate transaction #2 spending Z iotas from address A. Oops! Two spends from the same address.

This situation could have been simply avoided by waiting for transaction #1 to be confirmed before sending transaction #2.
So case in point: ALWAYS wait for a transaction to be confirmed before sending anything else.

Note that a lot of these situations are even muddier because you have no idea what address(es) the wallet is going to pick as input(s) for sending iotas somewhere.

Also note that I only provide one example of where things can go wrong for each rule. Things become even muddier when snapshots happen. But that is something for another article.

Great guide Eric. Will translate to spanish ASAP. Thanks!
By nightograph - 1 Dec 2017

that raises couple of questions for me. 

so beside the SEED which I think of it as my private key, obviously there are addresses and each address has one private key assigned to it?
and when the wallet sends fund, the 50% of that address is exposed to the whole world or just to receiver?
By Winston - 1 Dec 2017

nightograph - 1 Dec 2017
that raises couple of questions for me. 

so beside the SEED which I think of it as my private key, obviously there are addresses and each address has one private key assigned to it?
and when the wallet sends fund, the 50% of that address is exposed to the whole world or just to receiver?

@nightograph 50% of the private key for that address is revealed to the whole world. Which matters none at all as long as you don't ever use that address again. Here's a much deeper dive for you:
Everything to know about address reuse: (and how to avoid losing your funds!)
https://forum.helloiota.com/996/IOTA-Address-Reuse-Explained-for-Laymen
https://kb.helloiota.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50015.aspx
https://forum.helloiota.com/975/Address-Reuse-Discussion
https://forum.helloiota.com/1806/RE-Does-the-GUI-wallet-automatically-take-care-of-generating-new-adresses-when-you-take-iotas-out-of?
By nightograph - 1 Dec 2017

thanks
@winston
, so technically there is no need for the seeds to get access to one's funds - knowing the addresses is sufficient to initiate a transfer (am i correct?) - so is it my correct understanding that the SEED is just an entry to a set of addresses owned by you? thanks agai
By Winston - 1 Dec 2017

nightograph - 1 Dec 2017
thanks
@winston
, so technically there is no need for the seeds to get access to one's funds - knowing the addresses is sufficient to initiate a transfer (am i correct?) - so is it my correct understanding that the SEED is just an entry to a set of addresses owned by you? thanks agai

@nightograph This is incorrect.

You can't sign a transaction from an address without a private key. You can't know that address's private key unless you 1) have the seed that generates that private key, or 2) brute force (guess) the private key after somebody double spends an address.
By Carpincho - 1 Dec 2017

Spanish version already available at: 
http://www.iotahispano.com/2017/12/01/buenas-practicas-para-utilizar-la-wallet-de-iota-de-forma-segura/
By Nicolaaay - 5 Dec 2017

Ok I have a question. It says u always have to create a new address to recieve new iotas (new transaction) .

This apply for when I sell/buy iotas with bitcoins in bitfinex for example?? Or that's another history?
I'm from Argentina and I'm only doing that for the moment..
By Carpincho - 5 Dec 2017

Nicolaaay - 5 Dec 2017

Ok I have a question. It says u always have to create a new address to recieve new iotas (new transaction) .

This apply for when I sell/buy iotas with bitcoins in bitfinex for example?? Or that's another history?
I'm from Argentina and I'm only doing that for the moment..

If you are trading BTC to IOTA or viceversa you dont need to create a new IOTA adress on your Exchange Wallet. You only need to do this everytime you are doing a new deposit on the Exchange wallets.
By Cryptroll - 8 Dec 2017

Wouldn't it be better to use a new seed for every transaction and only one address per seed?
By GLariviere - 8 Dec 2017

Worst wallet ever. I can't get my coins. Will stop buying until they are ready to be a professional team. Maybe i will be back then.

By Winston - 8 Dec 2017

GLariviere - 8 Dec 2017
Worst wallet ever. I can't get my coins. Will stop buying until they are ready to be a professional team. Maybe i will be back then.

@GLariviere Really good choice. Definitely wait to get involved until the protocol is production ready in a few years. Thanks for the post
By Cryptroll - 8 Dec 2017

Was that some kind of irony?
By Arama - 8 Dec 2017

Thanks Eric for a good explanation.
By Arama - 8 Dec 2017

When you have a need of sending or receiving Iotas before a pending transaction is confirmed, there is a way around to abide by Rule 3 mentioned by Eric. Set up a few wallets with different seeds and storing various amounts of Iotas in each wallet.  If a transaction is pending on wallet A, and if you need to send or receive Iotas to or from an external source right away, you can use wallet B to perform the next transaction before the first transaction is confirmed. It is also a good risk management strategy -- not keeping all your eggs in one basket.

I have a related question for Eric though. Since only one wallet GUI can be opened on one computing device, can the same wallet GUI be re-used to open different wallets by inputting different seeds?  If it can, can we log-off wallet A while the first transaction is pending, restart the same wallet GUI in the same computer and sing-in wallet B with a different seed and then perform the second transaction under wallet B?  So the two transactions can be running simultaneously although from different wallets.
By Cryptroll - 9 Dec 2017

My question hasn't been answered, so I'd like to share my thoughts about something I think is going wrong here:

First of all: If I mustn't receive more than one transaction to a single address, how can I prevent that from happening? E.g. I want people to spend some IOTA...so I put an address on a website...and now there are severel transactions incoming. Or someone I am trading with just sends me the IOTA seperated to the same address, 1 i, 1 i again and 1 i again and so on. What shall I do in these cases?

And secondly: If I expose 50% of my private key with a transaction...wait. What is a private key? Is this the seed or is the seed something else? If it is indeed the seed, I would expose 50% of it on every spend I make, no matter which address I use, or wouldn't I? So after 2 or 3 transactions I'm exposed?

Thanks in advance if my questions, even if they sound stupid somehow, get answered.

By Winston - 9 Dec 2017

Cryptroll - 9 Dec 2017
My question hasn't been answered, so I'd like to share my thoughts about something I think is going wrong here:

First of all: If I mustn't receive more than one transaction to a single address, how can I prevent that from happening? E.g. I want people to spend some IOTA...so I put an address on a website...and now there are severel transactions incoming. Or someone I am trading with just sends me the IOTA seperated to the same address, 1 i, 1 i again and 1 i again and so on. What shall I do in these cases?

And secondly: If I expose 50% of my private key with a transaction...wait. What is a private key? Is this the seed or is the seed something else? If it is indeed the seed, I would expose 50% of it on every spend I make, no matter which address I use, or wouldn't I? So after 2 or 3 transactions I'm exposed?

Thanks in advance if my questions, even if they sound stupid somehow, get answered.

@Cryptroll Thanks for the good questions.

1) This will have to be a second layer solution later on down the road. For the moment, you'll just want to keep all of your websites updated with your most recent IOTA donation address.

2)  You'll find tidbits in all of these resources. Don't have time to type everything out right now.
Everything to know about address reuse: (and how to avoid losing your funds!)
Easy to understand depiction of address reuse: https://imgur.com/a/hFO67
https://forum.helloiota.com/996/IOTA-Address-Reuse-Explained-for-Laymen
https://forum.helloiota.com/975/Address-Reuse-Discussion
https://forum.helloiota.com/1806/RE-Does-the-GUI-wallet-automatically-take-care-of-generating-new-adresses-when-you-take-iotas-out-of?
By CoinJohn - 17 Dec 2017

Hallo everybody. I am new here. May I kindly ask you for some help please?
I bought some iota on bitfinex and have installed the light iota wallet 2.5.4 on my windows10 computer.
I was unable to attach my wallet to the tangle but this is obviously not needed?
I read that sometimes to recover any iotas one has to keep generating new addresses?
I hit the “receive” button several times but the wallet would always show the same addess.
How do I generate new addresses please?

I’d like to understand this wallet before I transfer any tokens into it?

Would it be better to use MAC instead of Windows or is there no difference?

With best regards
John
By Winston - 17 Dec 2017

CoinJohn - 17 Dec 2017
Hallo everybody. I am new here. May I kindly ask you for some help please?
I bought some iota on bitfinex and have installed the light iota wallet 2.5.4 on my windows10 computer.
I was unable to attach my wallet to the tangle but this is obviously not needed?
I read that sometimes to recover any iotas one has to keep generating new addresses?
I hit the “receive” button several times but the wallet would always show the same addess.
How do I generate new addresses please?

I’d like to understand this wallet before I transfer any tokens into it?

Would it be better to use MAC instead of Windows or is there no difference?

With best regards
John

@CoinJohn Thank you for the post, John.

In the wallet, click "Receive" > "Generate Address" > "Attach to tangle" > "Address Attached" > "Generate Address" > etc.
By CoinJohn - 17 Dec 2017

Thank you Winston for your reply.
Do I read your answer right that only once the wallet is attached to the tangle new addresses can be generated?
By Winston - 18 Dec 2017

CoinJohn - 17 Dec 2017
Thank you Winston for your reply.Do I read your answer right that only once the wallet is attached to the tangle new addresses can be generated?

@CoinJohn 
That's just the order in which you have to go to generate addresses in the light wallet, I guess. Just keep pushing that button (whether it says "generate address" or "attach to tangle"), and you'll be doing the process correctly. Report back with your results. :IOTA:
By CoinJohn - 20 Dec 2017

Hi Winston,
I opened my wallet with the seed, pushed “Receive”, that showed an address and then pushed “ attach to tangle”. It came up with “invalid response”
I have done this several times and always the same response. The address in the “ Receive” field was always the same.

I am thinking of deleting the wallet completely and install it again.

I did read on the IOTA page that wallet does not need to be attached and would still work fine.

What do you think?
By Carpincho - 20 Dec 2017

CoinJohn - 20 Dec 2017
Hi Winston,I opened my wallet with the seed, pushed “Receive”, that showed an address and then pushed “ attach to tangle”. It came up with “invalid response”I have done this several times and always the same response. The address in the “ Receive” field was always the same.I am thinking of deleting the wallet completely and install it again.I did read on the IOTA page that wallet does not need to be attached and would still work fine.What do you think?

CoinJhon
Maybe try changing your wallet' node.
You can check for this list to see which one is in better shape
https://iota.dance/nodes
Hope it helps!
By rahpl3245 - 20 Dec 2017

Hola muchas gracias por su articulo es de mucha ayuda ya que casi hay que ir a la  universidad otra vez para usar esta billetera la verdad es un poco complicada jajaj  pero bueno asi es todo esto. 
queria emitir una pregunta un poco fuera del tema que toco aqui. con exactitud pero sigue siendo referente ala billetera qeu pasa si los numeros de la parte inferior de la billetera no estan coinsidiendo, y escuchado que esos numerois deben estar en similitud (coinsidir) como puedo encontrar informacion del manejo perfecto de la billetera como aplicar correctamente la inclusión de vecinos para que las transacciones se realicen de manera correcta gracias saludos 
By rahpl3245 - 20 Dec 2017

Hello thank you very much for your article is very helpful as you almost have to go to college again to use this wallet the truth is a bit complicated hahaha but well that's all this.
I wanted to ask a question a little outside the subject that I play here. with accuracy but it is still referring to the wallet that happens if the numbers in the lower part of the wallet are not counting, and I heard that those numbers should be in similarity (coinsidir) as I can find information about the perfect handling of the wallet as correctly applying the inclusion of neighbors so that transactions are carried out correctly thanks greetings
By CoinJohn - 22 Dec 2017

Inhabe changed the node and it worked niceley.
Have sent a small amount as test now to see that it works before I sent the rest to the wallet.
Will update once all is in the wallet.

Super help here guys, highly appreciated.
All the best
John
By Ronnymarlishausen - 1 Jan 2018

[Zitat]
[b]EricHop - 30. November 2017[/ b]
IOTA ist ein Protokoll, das für die Verwendung von IoT-Geräten entwickelt wurde. Diese Geräte befolgen gerne alle Regeln, um das Protokoll streng, optimal und sicher zu verwenden. Leider sind Menschen nicht so gut darin, Regeln zu folgen - wenn sie sie überhaupt kennen - und sie haben oft keine Ahnung von den Konsequenzen bestimmter Handlungen. Also habe ich beschlossen, eine Liste mit Best Practices zu schreiben und in diesem Artikel das Warum zu erklären.

Hier sind die Regeln:

REGEL 1: NIEMALS eine Adresse erneut verwenden. NOCH NIE. Keine Ausnahmen.

Regel 2: Fügen Sie IMMER eine neue Empfangsadresse an Tangle an.

REGEL 3: IMMER warten, bis eine Transaktion bestätigt wird, bevor etwas anderes gesendet wird.

Und hier ist das Warum:

Es hat alles mit Multi-Ausgaben zu tun. Welches mehr als einmal von der gleichen Adresse ausgibt. Das Problem hierbei ist, dass IOTA einmalige Signaturen verwendet. Nach Ausgaben sollten Adressen nicht mehr verwendet werden, da bei der Ausgabe zufällig 50% des privaten Schlüssels an die Adresse ausgegeben werden. Das ist an sich kein Problem, alle Geldmittel, die nach einer einzigen Ausgabe ankommen, sind immer noch ziemlich sicher. Die anderen 50% des Schlüssels zu brechen ist immer noch eine entmutigende Aufgabe.

Aber wenn eine zweite Ausgabe an der gleichen Adresse stattfindet, wird eine neue zufällige 50% des privaten Schlüssels für diese Adresse ausgesetzt. Theoretisch werden Ihnen Statistiken zeigen, dass jetzt 75% des privaten Schlüssels verfügbar sind. Aber hier ist der Unterschied zwischen Theorie und Praxis. Da es ein * zufälliger * 50% des Schlüssels ist, der ausgesetzt wird, könnten Sie Pech haben, dass beide 50% -Expositionen nur eine 10% ige Überlappung haben. In diesem Fall sind bereits 90% Ihres Schlüssels verfügbar! In diesem Fall ist Ihr privater Schlüssel Toast und relativ leicht gebrochen.

Also kurz gesagt: 2 oder mehr Ausgaben von der gleichen Adresse ist sehr schlecht!

Sehen wir uns nun an, welche Szenarien auftreten könnten, die zu einem Multi-Ausgaben führen und warum diese Regeln gut sind:

REGEL 1: NIEMALS eine Adresse erneut verwenden. NOCH NIE. Keine Ausnahmen.

Ich kann sofort einige Leute sagen hören: "Aber du darfst mehrmals an einer Adresse empfangen!" Und sie sind technisch korrekt. IoT-Geräte tun dies die ganze Zeit. Aber sie haben den Vorteil, genau zu wissen, was die Parteien, mit denen sie reden, tun werden und wann. So können sie das sicher tun. Hier ist ein Szenario, das nur ein Beispiel zeigt, warum es eine schlechte Idee ist, mehrere Male an die gleiche Adresse zu senden:

Nehmen wir an, ich ziehe X Iotas von einer Börse zurück, um A in meiner Brieftasche zu adressieren. Der ganze Vorgang dauert ein wenig, aber am Ende habe ich X in Adresse A.

Ermutigt durch diesen Erfolg entscheide ich mich, noch ein Yotas an die selbe Adresse A zurückzuziehen. Immerhin kann ich * an * eine Adresse mehrfach senden, oder? Also gebe ich den Auftrag ein und der Austausch beginnt mit der Bearbeitung der Bestellung. Beachten Sie, dass diese Verarbeitung manchmal Stunden oder sogar Tage dauern kann.

In der Zwischenzeit erzähle ich meinem Freund von IOTA, und um ihn zu ermutigen, möchte ich ihm ein paar (sagen wir Z) Iotas schicken. Also installiert er die Brieftasche und gibt mir eine Empfangsadresse B. Ich rate der Brieftasche, Z iotas an Adresse B zu senden. Die Brieftasche ist glücklich verpflichtet und nimmt die Iotas in Adresse A, sendet Z iotas an Adresse B und - um Adresse A zu schützen von Multi-Ausgaben - es sendet auch die verbleibenden X - Z Iotas sicher zu einer neu generierten Adresse C in meiner Brieftasche.

Bis jetzt scheint alles in Ordnung zu sein. Aber mit einem Problem: Der Exchange hat meinen Abzug noch nicht bearbeitet. Wenn es schließlich verarbeitet wird, werden die Y-Itas an Adresse A gesendet, genau wie ich es angewiesen habe. Außer dass diese Adresse jetzt schon früher ausgegeben wurde! Hoppla!

Diese Situation hätte einfach vermieden werden können, indem eine neue Adresse D für die zweite Entnahme erzeugt wurde und diese anstelle der Adresse A verwendet wurde.
Also Fall: NIEMALS eine Adresse erneut verwenden. Nicht einmal zum Empfangen.

REGEL 2: Fügen Sie IMMER eine neue Empfangsadresse an das Tangle an.

Ich kann sofort einige Leute sagen hören: "Aber das musst du wirklich nicht!" Und wieder sind sie technisch korrekt. Es ist vollkommen in Ordnung, Iotas an eine Adresse zu senden, die nicht explizit mit dem Tangle verbunden war. Sie werden gut ankommen. Auch dies tun IoT-Geräte immer wieder, aber sie behalten auch im Auge, welche Adressen sie als Empfangsadressen ausgegeben haben.

Das IOTA Wallet macht es anders. Da es möglich ist, die Brieftasche auf verschiedenen Geräten zu installieren und beide Brieftaschen mit dem gleichen Samen einzuloggen, bestimmen die Entwickler den Zustand der Brieftasche direkt aus dem Tangle. So werden beide Geldbörsen auf Ereignisse gleich reagieren. Sonst hätte man einige wichtige Adressen im Auge behalten können, und der andere hätte davon nichts gewußt. Ziemlich elegante Lösung.

Aber diese Lösung kommt mit versteckten Kosten. Um das zu verstehen, müssen wir uns ansehen, wie der Geldbeutel entscheidet, welche Adressen bereits verwendet wurden. Dies geschieht, indem der fragliche Knoten nach einer Liste von Transaktionen gefragt wird, die diese Adresse enthalten. Wenn noch keine Transaktionen vorhanden sind, wird daraus geschlossen, dass die Adresse noch nicht verwendet wurde.

Wenn Sie eine Adresse an Tangle anhängen, erstellen Sie explizit eine Nullübertragungstransaktion für diese Adresse. Jetzt kann die Brieftasche diese Transaktion im Tangle finden, also weiß sie, dass sie bereits verwendet wird. Und ja, falls jemand Iotas an diese Adresse sendet, kann die Brieftasche diese Transaktion im Gewirr finden und sieht wieder, dass sie bereits benutzt wird. Deshalb müssen wir es nicht explizit anhängen, oder? Bzzzzt! *Falsch*!!

Nehmen wir an, ich habe X Iotas in Adresse A. Ich beschließe, ein anderes Y Iotas aus dem Austausch an Adresse B abzuziehen. Das ist, was ich aus Regel 1 gelernt habe. Verwenden Sie eine andere Adresse. Ich mache mir nicht die Mühe, die Adresse B explizit an Tangle anzuhängen, weil mir vorher gesagt wurde, dass das nicht unbedingt notwendig sei. Also gebe ich den Auftrag ein und der Austausch beginnt mit der Bearbeitung der Bestellung. Das braucht wieder Zeit.

Um mehr Freude zu verbreiten, beschließe ich, Z iotas erneut zu meinem Freund zu schicken. Ich initiiere die Übertragung, und diesmal kann die Brieftasche von der Adresse A nehmen, Z iotas an die Adresse meines Freundes senden, und dann möchte sie die verbleibenden X-z-Iotas an eine neue Empfangsadresse senden. So sieht es im Gewirr aus, welche Adresse noch nicht benutzt wird. Aha! Adresse B wird noch nicht verwendet. Also schickt es fröhlich die Ergebnisse an Adresse B. Oh mein Gott. Jetzt befinden wir uns in der gleichen Situation wie in Regel 1.

Wenn wir uns jetzt entscheiden, eine weitere Menge von Iotas an einen anderen Freund zu senden, werden wir die Adresse B ausgeben, bevor die Auszahlung * an * Adresse B ausgeführt wurde. Und wir enden wieder mit einem garantierten Multi-Ausgaben.

Diese Situation hätte einfach vermieden werden können, indem Adresse B explizit an Tangle angehängt wurde. In diesem Fall hätte die Brieftasche gesehen, dass sie bereits verwendet wurde, und stattdessen hätte sie den Rest an eine neue Adresse C gesendet.
Also Fall: IMMER eine neue Empfangsadresse an die Tangle anhängen.

REGEL 3: IMMER warten, bis eine Transaktion bestätigt wird, bevor etwas anderes gesendet wird.

Ich kann sofort einige Leute sagen hören: "Aber die Brieftasche wird mich davon abhalten, viel auszugeben!" Und wieder sind sie technisch korrekt. Die Geldbörse prüft vor der Ausgabe, ob bereits eine bestätigte Ausgabe für die Adresse vorliegt, und erlaubt in diesem Fall keine zweite Ausgabe. Aber bedenken Sie folgendes Szenario:

Ich habe X Iotas in Adresse A. Ich entscheide mich jetzt, Y Iotas zu einem Austausch zu senden. Dies wird eine Transaktion Nr. 1 erzeugen, die Y iotas von Adresse A ausgibt.
Jetzt entscheide ich mich auch, meinem Freund seine Z iotas zu schicken, bevor Transaktion 1 bestätigt wurde. Da die Brieftasche immer noch die X-Iotas in Adresse A sieht, wird sie glücklicherweise Transaktion 2 ausgeben, die Z iotas von Adresse A ausgibt. Hoppla! Zwei Ausgaben von derselben Adresse.

Diese Situation hätte einfach vermieden werden können, indem gewartet wurde, dass die Transaktion # 1 bestätigt wurde, bevor die Transaktion # 2 gesendet wurde.
Also in diesem Fall: IMMER warten Sie auf eine Transaktion bestätigt werden, bevor Sie etwas anderes senden.

Beachten Sie, dass viele dieser Situationen noch matschiger sind, weil Sie keine Ahnung haben, welche Adresse (n) die Brieftasche als Eingabe für den Versand von Iotas auswählen wird.

Beachten Sie auch, dass ich nur ein Beispiel dafür anführe, wo bei jeder Regel etwas schiefgehen kann. Die Dinge werden noch matschiger, wenn Schnappschüsse passieren. Aber das ist etwas für einen anderen Artikel.
[/Zitat]

In der Tat
Hello, I had made a second transfer from Bitfenix and the first one was not confirmed yet. I've been waiting for payment to the wallet since 07.12.2017: https: //iotasear.ch/hash/XCOOJIMUMZSDGTUFR9UDHEOSREFTUMXFGTXMUCSWQPLIFIVCQRDL9JGRULMSCBGINXKVQJWUVDOGKLGPWGTHNQCDEY

How should I behave? best regards
By superresistant - 9 Jan 2018

The wallet or tangle has no way of knowing if the address was used after a snapshot, right ?
By Winston - 9 Jan 2018

superresistant - 9 Jan 2018
The wallet or tangle has no way of knowing if the address was used after a snapshot, right ?

@superresistant
This is correct
By rosmo01 - 2 Feb 2018

EricHop - 30 Nov 2017

Here are the rules:

And here are the whys:

-------

Rule 1-3 all have to do with your seed. The seed is literally the master key to your wallet. Whoever has the key controls the wallet and the iotas therein. So it is very important to have a few best practices that help you keep  your seed safe.

Because iotas have monetary value there are a lot of nasty people out there ready to try and relieve you of your iota stash. One way they do this is by offering to generate a seed for you. Don't fall for it!!! Most, if not all online seed generators are designed to make your seed vulnerable. They either will copy the seed or generate a seed from a limited number of random seeds. And as we have seen in the beginning of January some of them have a lot of patience. All of a sudden over 4 million USD worth of iotas got stolen by the operator of a popular seed generator.
Generating a seed isn't difficult. You just need to know the right method to use. Here are 3 methods to do it yourself:

Method 1. Make up a string of random, unrelated words. Mix in weird words or foreign words. Really, that's the simplest and safest way to go. With 81 characters it is impossible for anyone to guess them as long as you keep them unrelated.
Example (spaces are for readability only): FLOWER BEER JE MAINTIENDRAI CLOCKWORK SHELDON ELDERBERRIES BLITZKRIEG OVENMITT AUTOCORRUPT

Method 2. Use a single finger and slowly type 81 random letters. Just let your finger go around and around and sometimes let it go down. Purposely trying to make it random is okay. Just try to avoid patterns, which is why quickly mashing fingers on the keyboard is not a good idea. If you want, you can throw a 9 in here and there for good measure. Once you have 81 of them, replace some random letters with other random letters, just to make sure you break any patters you unwittingly used.
Example: KUWVQZOVFENI9GTESKPLJKMVFTETTKGSWQBMOPHTJLOHRRGKOKNHKKECDSKNSFFHGKBPYU9NVDL9ECVMB

Method 3: Warning: This method is only for people who actually know what they are doing and what I am talking about. There are a local/offline secure random generators available with most major operating systems. I won't go into detail here to prevent the noob users from using them. You really want to know what you are doing. Mac and Linux for example offer /dev/urandom. If this does not mean anything to you, just use method 1 or 2 instead.

Again, there are many predators out there. Some of them will even pretend to be part of the IOTA foundation and offer to help you if you ask for help with a problem in any of the help channels.
Be paranoid in those cases where such a person asks for your seed. Once you give it they will quickly empty your wallet. Most problems you will encounter can be solved without ever giving up your seed to anyone.

Protect yourself from ever losing your iotas. Keep one or more copies of your seed in safe places. Make sure that it is not easy for anyone to get a quick peek at them. Remember, mobile devices are cameras and snapping a picture of your seed is very easily done. Best to separate your seed in two parts and keep them stored away from each other. I recommend 2 bank safes at 2 different banks. Especially when the amount of iotas becomes large this is no overkill. And while you're at it make sure that it includes a succession list in case anything happens to you and maybe include some trusted persons that can help your heirs get their hands on the funds. Nothing sadder than sitting on a million worth of iotas and no one being able to access them when you die.

--------

Rule 4-6 all have to do with multi-spending. Which is spending more than once from the same address. The problem here is that IOTA uses one-time signatures. After spending addresses are not supposed to be used any more because in the process of spending a random 50% of the private key to the address gets exposed. This in itself is not a problem, any funds arriving after a single spend are still pretty safe. Breaking the other 50% of the key is still a daunting task.

I can immediately hear some people say: "But you are allowed to receive multiple times at a address!" And they are technically correct. IoT devices will do this all the time. But they have the advantage of knowing exactly what the parties they are talking to are going to do and when. So they can safely do this. Here is a scenario that shows just one example of why it is a bad idea to send multiple times to the same address:

The IOTA wallet does it differently. Because it is possible to install the wallet on different devices, and log in both wallets with the same seed, the developers are determining the state of the wallet directly from the Tangle. That way both wallets will respond the same to events. Otherwise one could have kept track of some important addresses and the other would have no knowledge of that. Pretty elegant solution.

One crucial element is not mentioned and that is how the user is supposed to remember and enter the seed every time the GUI is started. In current version there is no encrypted and password protected storage of the seed, as per many full node wallets like BTC/LTC NEM/NEO/XMR/DGB, etc....

The current UI forces us to store the seed locally in relative easy access so we can copy/paste it into the login, which in most cases means unencrypted, as there is no assistance in this from the UI.

This is countering all the steps in creating a secure seed as we are unable to remember it, and even if we did it takes forever to type it in - time we cannot afford to waste.

I for one does not entrust my cryptos to any exchange/where I'm not in control of the private key/seed. None of the hardware wallets are supporting Iota yet either.......

I hope I have missed something, but if I have to copy/paste my seed for each login, then I see no use for this wallet. I would like to know when the seed will be encrypted and password protected by the UI.
By Winston - 2 Feb 2018

rosmo01 - 2 Feb 2018
EricHop - 30 Nov 2017

Here are the rules:

And here are the whys:

-------

--------

One crucial element is not mentioned and that is how the user is supposed to remember and enter the seed every time the GUI is started. In current version there is no encrypted and password protected storage of the seed, as per many full node wallets like BTC/LTC NEM/NEO/XMR/DGB, etc....

The current UI forces us to store the seed locally in relative easy access so we can copy/paste it into the login, which in most cases means unencrypted, as there is no assistance in this from the UI.

This is countering all the steps in creating a secure seed as we are unable to remember it, and even if we did it takes forever to type it in - time we cannot afford to waste.

I for one does not entrust my cryptos to any exchange/where I'm not in control of the private key/seed. None of the hardware wallets are supporting Iota yet either.......

I hope I have missed something, but if I have to copy/paste my seed for each login, then I see no use for this wallet. I would like to know when the seed will be encrypted and password protected by the UI.

@rosmo01
KeePass is preferred by the community for password storage/encryption. The upcoming Trinity wallet will have the features you mentioned as well.

By EricHop - 2 Feb 2018

The latest version of the IRI (node software) now keeps track of all used addresses from before the snapshot.
This greatly improves the usability of the light wallet because it has become much harder to do a double spend.
It also removes some of the pain of having to reattach after a snapshot because attaching a receive address will now skip all addresses with a previous spend on it.
Also, the new wallets that are coming out Q1 2017 will take away a lot of the current pain points of the light wallet.
By CoinJohn - 2 Feb 2018

Hi everybody,
My wallet version is the 2.5.4.
Do I have to upgrade to a newer version whenever one comes out?
If so, how am I going to do this?

Best regards
By Winston - 3 Feb 2018

CoinJohn - 2 Feb 2018
Hi everybody,My wallet version is the 2.5.4.Do I have to upgrade to a newer version whenever one comes out?If so, how am I going to do this?Best regards

@CoinJohn 
Go ahead and download the latest version of the wallet v2.5.7
https://github.com/iotaledger
By CoinJohn - 3 Feb 2018

Once I downloaded the newer version, how to I get my funds from the old wallet into the new one?
By Winston - 4 Feb 2018

CoinJohn - 3 Feb 2018
Once I downloaded the newer version, how to I get my funds from the old wallet into the new one?

@CoinJohn 
It depends. If your funds are available, just regenerate addresses until your balance reappears. If your funds were saved by the Foundation, you would need to complete the reclaim process.

By skiperaster - 8 Feb 2018

I made a mistake then? Well, I'm mining in (mineiota . com)
and every x time, send me iota, to the same address ...
What would I have to do new address, every time he sent me?
By Winston - 8 Feb 2018

skiperaster - 8 Feb 2018

@skiperaster 
Thanks for the post, and welcome to the community.

You can receive funds at the same address as many times as you'd like UNTIL you send an outgoing transaction. After you send an outgoing transaction, use a new receive address.

By skiperaster - 8 Feb 2018

Winston - 8 Feb 2018
skiperaster - 8 Feb 2018

@skiperaster 
Thanks for the post, and welcome to the community.

You can receive funds at the same address as many times as you'd like UNTIL you send an outgoing transaction. After you send an outgoing transaction, use a new receive address.

ah!! Smile ok thanks!!
By Truths - 18 Mar 2018

Newbie here... Is iota wallet safe and secure? Can we store iota in the wallet for years to come?

And nothing to worry about?

Thanks.
By CryptoHamster - 18 Mar 2018

Hi @Truths

thanks for your post and welcome to the forum!

1. Yes, the wallet is safe to use if you follow Eric’s advise in the OP. 
It’s always a good idea though to test how the wallet works with very small amounts before you receive and send larger amounts.
There's many people on the #donations-channel on Discord (invite link below), who'll be happy to send you some IOTA for testing purposes.

2. No, it’s not safe to put funds in your wallet and not worry about it for years to come. IOTA is still in development and changes are to be expected.
We have seen changes before, some of which required the IOTA owners to take some action.
So to be on the safe side, it’s necessary that you pay attention to important announcements and follow the instructions given for these situations.

Announcements will be made on IOTA’s Discord platform. If you check the #announcements-channel maybe every two weeks or once a month you should be good to go. Here’s an invite link to Discord:
https://discord.gg/hgbDnBd

There’s also a #help-channel on Discord as well as a Help subforum here in case you run into any problems or if you have any questions. 

Alexa
By Josh0101 - 9 May 2018

Truths - 18 Mar 2018
Newbie here... Is iota wallet safe and secure? Can we store iota in the wallet for years to come? And nothing to worry about? Thanks.

First time poster here. IOTA is not stored inside the wallet but on the tangle so it could be 10 years from now and it be there sound and safe. The only thing you should do however is update to the latest wallet if logging into your balance. And make sure your seed is on encrypted thumb drives. Other than that you don't need to do anything. In 5 years or 10, IOTA, in my opinion, will out do all cryptocurrencies and be worth quite a bit Smile
By CryptoHamster - 9 May 2018

Josh0101 - 9 May 2018
Truths - 18 Mar 2018
Newbie here... Is iota wallet safe and secure? Can we store iota in the wallet for years to come? And nothing to worry about? Thanks.

First time poster here. IOTA is not stored inside the wallet but on the tangle so it could be 10 years from now and it be there sound and safe. The only thing you should do however is update to the latest wallet if logging into your balance. And make sure your seed is on encrypted thumb drives. Other than that you don't need to do anything. In 5 years or 10, IOTA, in my opinion, will out do all cryptocurrencies and be worth quite a bit Smile

@Josh0101,
Hello first time poster and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your contribution! You're absolutely right, the funds are not stored in the wallet but on the tangle. That's why it actually doesn't matter all too much whether the wallet displays the correct balance or not. The funds are not connected to the wallet, but to an address on the Tangle.

What we need to keep in mind though is, that you'll only have access to that address when you hold the correct seed that will generate this specific address. And: IOTA is still in development and we have to expect changes.

Now, the same seed will always generate the same addresses.
But: there might be situations, when the algorithm for address generation changes. Such a situation occurred in August when the signing function had been changed from Curl to Kerl. This change resulted in the mandatory transition of all seeds from the old Curl function to the new Kerl function. If you use an untransitioned seed today, it will generate totally different addresses than it did before the transition. Therefore, you'd not have access to any pre-transition address that holds your funds, even if you update your wallet.  

This is exactly why the IOTA Foundation secured the funds for everyone who missed to transition their seed. That's why these people now have to reclaim and wait for their funds to be returned to them. And that's why we all need to stay updated and do as we're instructed.
We might need to transition again one day.
So, better stay in the loop everyone! Smile
By Josh0101 - 10 May 2018

Alexa - 9 May 2018
Josh0101 - 9 May 2018
Truths - 18 Mar 2018

@Josh0101,
Hello first time poster and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your contribution! You're absolutely right, the funds are not stored in the wallet but on the tangle. That's why it actually doesn't matter all too much whether the wallet displays the correct balance or not. The funds are not connected to the wallet, but to an address on the Tangle.

What we need to keep in mind though is, that you'll only have access to that address when you hold the correct seed that will generate this specific address. And: IOTA is still in development and we have to expect changes.

Now, the same seed will always generate the same addresses.
But: there might be situations, when the algorithm for address generation changes. Such a situation occurred in August when the signing function had been changed from Curl to Kerl. This change resulted in the mandatory transition of all seeds from the old Curl function to the new Kerl function. If you use an untransitioned seed today, it will generate totally different addresses than it did before the transition. Therefore, you'd not have access to any pre-transition address that holds your funds, even if you update your wallet.  

This is exactly why the IOTA Foundation secured the funds for everyone who missed to transition their seed. That's why these people now have to reclaim and wait for their funds to be returned to them. And that's why we all need to stay updated and do as we're instructed.
We might need to transition again one day.
So, better stay in the loop everyone! Smile

Thanks for the welcome Smile

Thanks for going a bit further on why it's good stay informed on transitions and implementations! I guess you can't really forget about your funds completely in case the foundation makes us reclaim funds in their possession.
By monkeyking - 15 Jun 2018

I know this is an old post but allow me to add my thoughts: for the use case of putting an address on a website, in my understanding it is save to receive multiple transaction on a single address as long as you are sure that you do not spend from that address. As soon as you spend from the address, it is "burned". 
Though this is not ideal, one could generate a seed for the purpose of receiving donations and putt one address on the website. As long as nothing is spent from that address the funds are save and if something is spent, the address needs to be changed on the website.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
By CryptoHamster - 15 Jun 2018

monkeyking - 15 Jun 2018
I know this is an old post but allow me to add my thoughts: for the use case of putting an address on a website, in my understanding it is save to receive multiple transaction on a single address as long as you are sure that you do not spend from that address. As soon as you spend from the address, it is "burned". 
Though this is not ideal, one could generate a seed for the purpose of receiving donations and putt one address on the website. As long as nothing is spent from that address the funds are save and if something is spent, the address needs to be changed on the website.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Hi @monkeyking,
thanks for your post and welcome to Hello IOTA!

You're correct, IOTA addresses can receive funds as often as you like, but should only be used once for sending and never again afterwards.
For the time being, the way you've described it would be how it works.
Maybe changing the first address on the website already before you actually spend from it would also be a good idea. 
However, the problem with publicly posted addresses is that you can't really prevent people from sending new funds to an already spent address.

There are some ideas on how to tackle this problem in the future. This is Part 1 of a very interesting series on this topic written by Eric: 
https://medium.com/iota-demystified/solving-the-iota-donations-problem-by-using-iota-cheques-ebfd79f721d4
By Top coin cryptocurrency - 8 Aug 2018

awesome guide
By Top coin cryptocurrency - 14 Aug 2018

always used to worry about wallets, this is a good resource for newcomers and novices
By Crypt0Pro - 1 Feb 2019

Thank you for a good explanation! It is still relevant nowadays.
By CryptoKing - 6 Feb 2019

Thanks now I understand finally why it is better to avoid simultaneous sendings and wait for the first transaction to finish before making the second one
By Crypt0Pro - 8 Feb 2019

Just faced a tough situation and remembered all the tips given here. Very useful thread!
By IOTAfan1 - 18 Feb 2019

Hi there! the topic is a bit controversial as there are always some exceptions. I would agree with your emphasizing of NEVER in rule 1. But for someone who for the most part passively stores value, I think it is a bit over the top.
By CryptoKing - 20 Feb 2019

I never paid attention to 

Seems reasonable now
By Winston - 21 Feb 2019

IOTAfan1 - 18 Feb 2019
Hi there! the topic is a bit controversial as there are always some exceptions. I would agree with your emphasizing of NEVER in rule 1. But for someone who for the most part passively stores value, I think it is a bit over the top.

I guess the philosophy is "better safe than sorry."

Nice avatar btw @IOTAfan1
By CryptoKing - 5 Mar 2019

Better safe thab sorry is a good motto for many situations in life))
By AnaMe - 28 Apr 2019

CryptoKing - 20 Feb 2019

Seems reasonable now

I never even thought about this rule and didn't expect that there might be any problems
By Helga - 29 Apr 2019

Thank you for the relevant information!
By CryptoKing - 4 May 2019

I think there is no difference between MAC and Windows, as to the comment above
By AnaMe - 6 May 2019

IOTAfan1 - 18 Feb 2019

Well, if people don't want do face bad consequences it won't be a big problem to follow all the rules, I guessSmile
By Helga - 6 May 2019

CryptoKing - 4 May 2019

Why do you think so?
By CryptoKing - 8 May 2019

AnaMe - 28 Apr 2019
CryptoKing - 20 Feb 2019

Seems reasonable now

I never even thought about this rule and didn't expect that there might be any problems

Neither did I, so far no problems, but it's important to know
By CryptoKing - 8 May 2019

Helga - 6 May 2019
CryptoKing - 4 May 2019

Why do you think so?

But why would there be anything?
Both systems are compatible with this product
By Crypt0Pro - 22 May 2019

Thanks Eric for a good article and great rules for the safe applying IOTA wallet.
By AnaMe - 27 May 2019

CryptoKing - 4 May 2019

Why? These operating systems are different