Hello IOTA Forum

Balance Zero / Old Wallet and Trinity Wallet

https://forum.helloiota.com/Topic19301.aspx

By sharkvader - 1 Jun 2019

Hello,
Back on May 9th, 2018 I logged to my IOTA wallet version 2.5.4 and my balance was zero. After using the reclaim tool I got a new seed. I use the attach to tangle / generate new address 4-10 times then I finally was able to see my full balance! Yesterday, 05/31 I logged in on my old wallet( version 2.5.4) and my balance is zero again.  I tried to attach to tangle / generate new address 20+ times but no luck. I downloaded most recent version of Trinity wallet, and balance is also zero after importing seed. I used the snapshot transition tool / and manual sync tool (sync successful) but my account still zero. I use node https://www.iotaqubic.us:443 for both old and new wallets. I also tried other nodes that seem to be online as well. Please note I tried to attach to tangle / generate new address using CCurl implementation, and the old wallet goes into black screen and freezes. When using Webgl 2 Curl implementation to attach to tangle it works normally on the old wallet. I tried using claim tool to generate new seed. I got a new seed, I was able to import new seed and sync to Trinity wallet as well, but balance is still at zero after trying all the recommended steps. Lastly I opened CMD as administrator and ran IOTA CLI 1.0.8, connected to node https://www.iotaqubic.us:443 successfully and I'm still getting zero balance for both of my seeds. ( I created my own seed, I did not have i generated online). I read that IOTA foundation may be holding my funds after the snapshot, and I may have to do KYC to claim it back. So confusing, please help. Thank you so much!  
By CryptoHamster - 1 Jun 2019

Hi @sharkvader,

welcome to Hello IOTA!

If you saw your funds in your wallet in May 2018, the IF definitely doesn't have them.
The only time they did secure some user's funds was in September / October 2017 and never after that time. 
Therefore the reclaim tool is not going to help you.

Do you know which address(es) your funds should be at? If you don’t know that address, you can find it by looking at the “withdrawal-history” of your exchange-account (e.g. Bitfinex or Binance or wherever you bought them).
Can you see this specific address(es) in your "Addresses" list in the "History"-tab of your Lightwallet?
If you know which address(es) should hold your funds, please post them here, so we can have a look at them on a tangle explorer. 
Please DON'T post your seed!
By sharkvader - 1 Jun 2019

Thank you for your help. The History tab on both wallets (Light and Trinity)  are empty. I'm currently in contact with Bitfinex to request the transaction ID and the address it was sent to. I cannot login into my Bitfinex account because I'm from the United States and they closed my account. I will keep you posted. 
By CryptoHamster - 1 Jun 2019

The history is empty because of snapshots, but if you attached some addresses to the tangle you should be able to see those at least in the Lightwallet. Doesn’t matter though as long as you don’t know which address should hold your funds.

I’d like to ask you to triple check your seed for any typos, unwanted spaces or any other mistakes.
Make sure you’re using the same seed as when you initially received your funds, not some new seed you created for the reclaim.
Log into Trinity with the triple checked correct seed. Connect to this node: https://perma.iota.partners:443.
It’s a permanode that kept the transaction history since IRI version 1.4, which means around September 2017.
If you don’t see your history immediately, do a Manual Sync and maybe also a Snapshot Transition.

If nothing helps, please come back here with your results from Bitfinex.
By sharkvader - 6 Jun 2019

So I was able to get them back with my old seed which was only 80 characters. I had to use the old wallet for that. Thanks for you help. 
By CryptoHamster - 6 Jun 2019

sharkvader - 6 Jun 2019
So I was able to get them back with my old seed which was only 80 characters. I had to use the old wallet for that. Thanks for you help. 

Great, thanks for reporting back!
You can use that old seed in Trinity as well if you just add a 9 at the end to make it 81 chars.
You're very welcome!
By jandenver - 21 Jun 2019

Hello! I have got exactly the same problem as sharvader. After haven't logged in into my Trinity desktop wallet for a couple of months I updated it yesterday and found my balance at 0. Like sharvader I also used the snapshot transition tool / and manual sync tool (sync successful) but my account is still zero. 

I have got the addresses from Bitfinex where the funds should be. Does this help? You mentioned a tangle explorer? Sorry, I am not that experienced but at the moment I'm kind of lost... Can you help me?

jandenver - 21 Jun 2019
I have got the addresses from Bitfinex where the funds should be. Does this help? You mentioned a tangle explorer? Sorry, I am not that experienced but at the moment I'm kind of lost... Can you help me?

After having installed the latest version of trinity desktop which was released today, all my funds are back Smile
By CryptoHamster - 21 Jun 2019

jandenver - 21 Jun 2019
After having installed the latest version of trinity desktop which was released today, all my funds are back Smile

Hey @jandenver,

welcome to Hello IOTA!

Thanks for reporting back! I was just going to reply to you, but now you don't need me anymore. Smile
I also had some problems with the previous Trinity version and had to reset my wallet to fix things.
As long as Trinity is still in Beta state, we have to expect issues like that I guess....

If you want to check out the tangle explorer regardless, just paste your address into https://thetangle.org/.
It's an awesome explorer that enables you to see any transactions to and from your addresses and track your funds' movement even if the transaction history in your wallet is empty after a snapshot or reset. 

Let me know if you have any questions.