Call to action: let's catch the thief

Author
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
bonfi - 18 Feb 2018
Hi
Can anyone advise me how to claim my IOTA back? Ive tried emailing IOTA with no reply from them, tried filling in the google online form so as to add addresses, TX etc, but still waiting for permission from the owner, and seem to find all doors closed everywhere.
Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Hi @bonfi,
I'm really sorry to say this, but if your funds have been stolen, they are gone. There's no way to reclaim them.
Your only chance, however small it may be, is to file a claim with your local police and to hope for law enforcement authorities to find the thief and return your funds to you.

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Alejandro
Alejandro
Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)Attached to Tangle (984 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Martini0 - 16 Feb 2018
Alejandro - 16 Feb 2018
My 1.5 Gi was sent to ZEOPFQRMIUC9FVBPLOGZBQLUOVTWHKLNIM9TVBCSRTHEIBLSMRGLZRO9JSVGIYOZXNDDVONTDRZNA9999

Thanks for this initiative too!!!

Did you use iotaseed.io, because your transaction isn't on the 19th of January...

Well. You were right. My Iotas are back. It seems to be that I was not hacked in the end.

I really hope all you are able to recover all your missing Iotas.

Thanks.
lambtho
lambtho
Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)
stesy - 8 Feb 2018
@lambtho why are you so mad , how come does it bother you so much ??? People does whatever they want  and there is no need you to come here and treat in this way 

I am mad because people are not capable of acknowledging their own mistakes and try to find other responsible parties even if there is none to be found (besides the thief of course).
That kind of attitude will lead them to redo exactly the same stupid stuff and the cycle will repeat.

There is absolutely no reason to ask the foundation or the exchanges to do something to fix your errors. Just accept the fact that you screwed up and you were robbed. period

lambtho
lambtho
Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)Attached to Tangle (320 reputation)
MMkrypto - 8 Feb 2018
lambtho - 8 Feb 2018
MMkrypto - 7 Feb 2018
lostiota_j - 7 Feb 2018
The majority of IOTA was purchased from two sources: bitfinex.com and binance.com, so they owe a response to their users who lost everything in this theft.
Contact their support with your information and ask them to confirm if the money was sent to their exchange.
Updated list with over 2,500,000 lost iota at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IOpYdi8x9R0ivpC2Fl75N9iVDXo82py0yybC9nsxV-I/edit?usp=sharing

I send an email to binance.com to report and get a support but never received any reply back from the support team unfortunately.

why would they ? you took the funds to your own seed, then got robbed. I really do not see why they should be responsible of anything. The funds they were managing for other clients were not stolen, so it's not their problem !

Thanks for you spending time to reply on each post. But first of all, I am wondering why you are here. We as victims are searching for ways of recovery here by the assistance of volunteers here who are collecting wallet addresses and post resources to support all the victims. Again, we are here not to argue who is/are responsible for this situation but looking for ways of recovery as much as we can. I sent an email to binance.com because i bought my IOTAs from binance that  had a record of my purchase meaning that the record from my purchase to my wallet shows the same address for two withdrawals. 

I am here to help people that actually need help sorting this out. Some are mistaking the snapshot and the robbery for instance... You should get by now that there is no way of recovery. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF A DECENTRALIZED LEDGER ! The only thing to do is wait for the police to catch the theif and hope he will surrender his seeds.

lambtho
lambtho
tudor - 9 Feb 2018
Also this is a great answer that i get from Winston after they stolen my iota PLEASE READ TO THE END...The main thing to realize is that IOTA isn't a company. There's no CEO or board of directors. IOTA isn't even a product. It's simply an open source software protocol. Anyone is free to work on the code from anywhere in the world, and even the IOTA Foundation doesn't have any control over the network. The Foundation can't really do anything to help in this situation since it's completely outside the scope of what they can do, ya know? This is difficult for a lot of people to understand.

There's no customer support for open source software like this, there's no profit maximization, in fact there's no profit at all. The Foundation doesn't make any money. It takes some time to internalize this and fully understand how it works.. ...........................Now i am thinking why Winston is here on this forum,why is him volunteer on iotas forum???i tell you why because is one of them because they whant to control the situation and know all the time what is happening,why is not volunteer to help some kids that needs it or some old person,Winston dont have nothing to do wih his life only to be here volunteer ...we was blinde they make us generate a password so they can have it to...i tell you something from weeks i was not able to send my iota from my wallet but when they stolen it worked how is that posibile???because they bloked the wallets untill they get how much passwords they need,now when my iota is not there i can acces my wallet with no problem ....there is the police of the internet in every city and country we should all go in person and start investigation because they will not do nothing....we cant stay like this and waith for NOBADY to do nothing..i say nobady because like i say at the bigining Winston told me bihainde of iota is NOBADY .........................but we are not all of us stupid 

tinfoil hat conspiracies here we go

lambtho
lambtho
Hetzen - 13 Feb 2018
Hi guys,

I still can`t believe that so many people lost there funds and I'm sorry for everybody. I'm still not sure if I was robbed as well or not. I haven't open my wallet for weeks and installed 2.5.7 now.
When I logged in to my wallet the balance was 0. I tried to attach several new tangle, but it stood the same.

When I take a look at the history, I can only see the new attached tangles, no history of the old wallet. How can I verify that no transaction was made? Can I see that on basis of my first transaction or how can I display the full history? 

I hope you can help me with some advice.

THX

How many did you attach ? Continue again and again (attach 50 of them is needed). If after like 50 there is still nothing, it's PROBABLY not due to the snapshot, try to look for each one of those addresses with thetangle.org.
You will maybe see there that an address was indeed in use and was emptied (in that case it was stolen).

lambtho
lambtho
tudor - 16 Feb 2018
I will say this over and over how the F..k before i was not able to transfer my coins from my light wallet a lot of times i was not able to login for days and the thief do it just like that and transfer my coins.....and now after they stolen my coins my wallet it workes in econds verry fast how is that possibile,here you see they do all this peopel from iota fondation  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are not stupid

The hacker perpetrated a DDoS attack on the public full nodes in the same time as he was emptying wallets. On his side he had probably set up a few full nodes to run his transactions. That's why his were validated while you could not even log to the public nodes. (https://medium.com/iota-demystified/what-happened-last-night-on-iota-b6157ade1e03)

Stop saying it was an inside job, that's nonsense. Why would the devs (who are already successful business man) risk ruining the reputation of their product and purposely damage their image and the user experience ?
The wallet does not send the seed on the network is keeps it in your device. By generating the seed on a phishing website you basically handed a copy of it directly to the thief.
Martini0
M
Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)
lambtho - 19 Feb 2018
tudor - 16 Feb 2018
I will say this over and over how the F..k before i was not able to transfer my coins from my light wallet a lot of times i was not able to login for days and the thief do it just like that and transfer my coins.....and now after they stolen my coins my wallet it workes in econds verry fast how is that possibile,here you see they do all this peopel from iota fondation  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are not stupid

The hacker perpetrated a DDoS attack on the public full nodes in the same time as he was emptying wallets. On his side he had probably set up a few full nodes to run his transactions. That's why his were validated while you could not even log to the public nodes. (https://medium.com/iota-demystified/what-happened-last-night-on-iota-b6157ade1e03)

Stop saying it was an inside job, that's nonsense. Why would the devs (who are already successful business man) risk ruining the reputation of their product and purposely damage their image and the user experience ?
The wallet does not send the seed on the network is keeps it in your device. By generating the seed on a phishing website you basically handed a copy of it directly to the thief.

Why can the NEM developers help with freezing adressess, and IOTA cannot do anything
Verona Sester
V
Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (6 reputation)
Verona Sester - 16 Feb 2018
Winston - 16 Feb 2018
Verona Sester - 16 Feb 2018
I'm so sad about this!! I logged into my wallet today and its empty! I looked at the history and it is gone. There is a withdraw I DID NOT make. That's it?
GONE! I have cried all morning! This was my first attempt entering the cryptoworld. The first coin I owned! No i didn't have much because I'm still learning and I'm glad for that but its heart breaking to know you've have been robbed. Or is that actually what happened?  I don't know because I am so new to the crypto world. I have the latest version of the wallet 2.5.6.  So I guess I need to know if I was for sure hacked and robbed and there is something I can do to recover my stolen IOTA. I am so upset about this How can I figure it out? What information do I need? I'm confused with the seed address and the receive addresses. I don't know which one to research.  I know how to log into my account with my seed on my computer and that's about it. I need someone kind and understanding to help me on a basic level and I don't know who to turn to. Nobody I know is involved with crypto. I'm at a loss :,( 
#helpanoldlady

@Verona Sester 
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for posting.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. To confirm what you suspect, it would be helpful if you could please post the address and/or transaction hash (NOT the seed) of the outgoing transaction here. We can take a look at it together in a tangle explorer and figure out what happened.

The withdraw address that took my IOTA is ZOFFVNVCKFEIQQQHKAZCFPARPCWTURRPTDNFSNSTHSB9GJOSDQYGDMVREXSOVSIPNFJWJRUOHGUJIPBK9JSYXHHXXD

Thank you for any help!!

lambtho
lambtho
Martini0 - 19 Feb 2018
lambtho - 19 Feb 2018
tudor - 16 Feb 2018

Why can the NEM developers help with freezing adressess, and IOTA cannot do anything

Because NEM could easily verify the theft as it is only one address. And I am not aware of the details, but if they did it on their own, I would be extremely worried about such level of centralisation.

rose
r
Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (69 reputation)
There are people who have had their funds stolen who did not use any online generator and also people who have had their funds stolen who have changed characters in the seeds they created before using them. 
Martini0
M
Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)
lambtho - 19 Feb 2018
Martini0 - 19 Feb 2018
lambtho - 19 Feb 2018
tudor - 16 Feb 2018

Because NEM could easily verify the theft as it is only one address. And I am not aware of the details, but if they did it on their own, I would be extremely worried about such level of centralisation.

Not true, more addresses. 
1. Why are you so harsh in this chat? Iota wallet doest have a auto generator, plus everywhere on youtube were these instructions.
2. I feel that developers are really lacking. They dont even try to help technically.
Martini0
M
lambtho - 19 Feb 2018
Martini0 - 19 Feb 2018
lambtho - 19 Feb 2018
tudor - 16 Feb 2018

In addittion, could you enrich me why you are so active ONLY in this thread? You didn't lost any IOTA, however, you responded over 15 times in this thread alone (being negative). And later you deleted some off your posts.

Also, you live in Belgium, where, a name like NorbertvdBerg is also known.

Martini0
M
Did he just started a new website?

http://iotaseed.net/
Peedro
P
Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)
Martini0 - 21 Feb 2018
Did he just started a new website?

http://iotaseed.net/

Domain Name: IOTASEED.NET
Registry Domain ID: 2211131177_DOMAIN_NET-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar URL: www.publicdomainregistry.com
Updated Date: 2018-01-10T11:17:26Z
Creation Date: 2018-01-10T11:18:05Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2019-01-10T11:18:05Z
Registrar: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
Registrar IANA ID: 303
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Raphael Iotas
Registrant Organization: -
Registrant Street: Travessa Lilia Martins Guimaraes entro
Registrant City: Centro
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code: 97500410
Registrant Country: BR
Registrant Phone: +55.2198765646
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: email@redehost.com.br
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: Raphael Iotas
Admin Organization: -
Admin Street: Travessa Lilia Martins Guimaraes entro
Admin City: Centro
Admin State/Province:
Admin Postal Code: 97500410
Admin Country: BR
Admin Phone: +55.2198765646
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: email@redehost.com.br
Registry Tech ID: Not Available From Registry
Tech Name: Raphael Iotas
Tech Organization: -
Tech Street: Travessa Lilia Martins Guimaraes entro
Tech City: Centro
Tech State/Province:
Tech Postal Code: 97500410
Tech Country: BR
Tech Phone: +55.2198765646
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: email@redehost.com.br
Name Server: ns1.locaweb.com.br
Name Server: ns2.locaweb.com.br
Name Server: ns3.locaweb.com.br
DNSSEC: Unsigned
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email@publicdomainregistry.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2013775952
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/
>>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2018-02-21T12:04:40Z <<<

For more information on Whois status codes, please visit https://icann.org/epp

Copyright © iotaseed.io. All rights reserved. Offline copies for personal use are permitted. No warranty for any particular purpose. See license:
Copyright 2017 Iotaseed.io, Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

Die Erlaubnis wird jeder Person kostenlos erteilt
eine Kopie dieser Software und der zugehörigen Dokumentationsdateien (die
"Software") zu verwenden und offline Kopien der Software zu erstellen
persönliche Nutzung, vorbehaltlich der folgenden Bedingungen:

DIE SOFTWARE WIRD "OHNE MÄNGELGEWÄHR" UND OHNE JEGLICHE GEWÄHRLEISTUNG ZUR VERFÜGUNG GESTELLT.
AUSDRÜCKLICH ODER IMPLIZIERT, EINSCHLIESSLICH, ABER NICHT BESCHRÄNKT AUF DIE GEWÄHRLEISTUNGEN VON
Handelsüblichkeit, Eignung für einen bestimmten Zweck und Nichtverletzung.
DIE AUTOREN ODER COPYRIGHT-INHABER KÖNNEN AUF KEINEN FALL HAFTBAR GEMACHT WERDEN
ANSPRUCH, SCHADENSERSATZ ODER SONSTIGE HAFTUNG, AUCH IM VERTRAGSVERTRAG,
TORT ODER ANDERWEITIG, VON ODER AUS ODER IN VERBINDUNG MIT DER
SOFTWARE ODER DIE VERWENDUNG ODER SONSTIGE HANDLUNGEN IN DER SOFTWARE.
Peedro
P
Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (156 reputation)

Martini0
M
Peedro - 21 Feb 2018

Can someone DDOS him
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Martini0 - 21 Feb 2018
Peedro - 21 Feb 2018

Can someone DDOS him

Can someone DDOS him

This website doesn't condone any illegal activity. Please use law enforcement to settle any issues.

Gerson
G
Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)
I still can not understand how my IOTAS were taken. 
I did not generate my seed online. 
I have updated antivirus and I frequently analyze my pc. 
The pc was offline. 
The wallet was up to date. 

Last week when performing a routine inspection I was surprised that my balance was zero. A transaction had been made for the total number of IOTAS that I had at an address that I do not know. When verifying the transaction, my IOTAS were sent to an address with a huge amount of IOTAS, perhaps by people who like me were stolen, it is very frustrating that nothing can be done. I feel that the IOTA wallet has a security problem, when asking for it they tell me that the error was mine when I feel that it was not like that, I took all the necessary measures so that my IOTAS were safe and still they robbed me. 

Excuse my English, it&apos;s not my native language, I use google translate.

Edited Last Year by Gerson
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Gerson - 21 Feb 2018
I still can not understand how my IOTAS were taken. 
I did not generate my seed online. 
I have updated antivirus and I frequently analyze my pc. 
The pc was offline. 
The wallet was up to date. 

Last week when performing a routine inspection I was surprised that my balance was zero. A transaction had been made for the total number of IOTAS that I had at an address that I do not know. When verifying the transaction, my IOTAS were sent to an address with a huge amount of IOTAS, perhaps by people who like me were stolen, it is very frustrating that nothing can be done. I feel that the IOTA wallet has a security problem, when asking for it they tell me that the error was mine when I feel that it was not like that, I took all the necessary measures so that my IOTAS were safe and still they robbed me. 

Excuse my English, it&apos;s not my native language, I use google translate.

@Gerson 
That does sound like a frustrating situation.
1) Can you post your original address from which your funds were stolen?
2) Was your seed 81 characters in length of randomly generated [A-Z] [9]?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search