To everyone posting with stolen balances:

Author
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
To everyone posting with stolen balances:

You have all likely used malicious online seed generators when generating your seed. It looks like the owner of that website(s) decided to steal all of the victims' funds today, so we're seeing a bunch of panicked posts about stolen funds. 

Here's a great initial postmortem of the situation (written by Ralf) 

Instructions:

1. If the stolen transaction is still pending (it'll say "Pending" underneath the transaction in your wallet history), URGENTLY send your entire balance to an address in a different seed. You might need to use the CLI wallet in order to make this new transaction so that you can bypass the double spending prevention mechanism that's built into the GUI wallet. You need to get your new transaction confirmed before the stolen transaction is confirmed.
CLI Wallet -
https://github.com/MichaelSchwab/iota-commandline-wallet
https://github.com/TimSamshuijzen/iotaproxy
CLI Wallet Instructions: 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Iota/comments/7rlvx5/how_to_how_to_maybe_rescue_your_funds_before_the/ 
-- or --
https://forum.helloiota.com/post/8584

For those who need urgent real-time assistance, join the IOTA Discord channel and ask for help immediately: 
https://discord.gg/fNGZXvh

2. If the stolen transaction is confirmed (it'll say "Confirmed" underneath the transaction in your wallet history), unfortunately that IOTA is now gone forever. This is a terrible situation, but hopefully we can use this experience to inculcate safe seed generation practices. Please see the "Legal Action" addendum below for details on legal recourse.
Please consider pursuing legal action. Someone from the community needs to step up and initiate the legal process: https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief

The golden rule is to change 10 characters from whatever string of characters the seed generator gives you. Preferably, avoid online seed generators altogether. Here are the currently recognized best practices of seed generation by the IOTA community:
https://helloiota.com/generate-seed.html 
------------------------------------
Legal Action: Since IOTA is an open-source software project, there's no central entity that has control over balances or permissions. However, this doesn't mean that there's no legal recourse if you were one of the unfortunate victims of this crime! I've already informally encouraged some victims to link up and explore taking legal action against the perpetrators of this theft. Even if you can just find one other victim who lives in your country, it would be smart to team up with them and attempt to navigate the legal process together.

The more people who decide to take action, the better. Nobody is going to act on your behalf, and nothing will happen if everyone sits around waiting for something to happen. Please let me know if I can be of any help during this process by either posting here on the forum or messaging me in discord.
Edited Last Year by Winston
iotastuff
i
Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)Attached to Tangle (366 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This is a terrible situation and we can't believe that user bad practices are entirely at fault here.  It is very bad practice that a wallet would not generate its own secure seed instead of requiring an external program to do this.  Furthermore, to make users log in with their seed puts them at constant risk of key loggers and mistakenly pasting the seed into websites and chat windows.  These things definitely need to be solved ASAP.  
Please stop pointing fingers at users as this is preventing critical modifications being added to the wallet and improving security and user experience.
Edited Last Year by iotastuff
t4ndu
t
Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)Attached to Tangle (309 reputation)
My account is empty!! why? i was last time in dezember on my wallet?

Iota - i create my account with your seed generator!! 2-3 month ago!
what is going on? this is your DOWNFALL.
Make Snapshot back.. 5 Day. Restart the Tangel!

Fix your security problems.!!!

Horsemen
H
Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)Attached to Tangle (473 reputation)
Hallo IOTA Team
Ihr gebt uns IOTA Kunden die Schuld an dieser Sch....!
Es liegt in EURER Verantwortung, dass mehrere Wochen ein SCAM Seed-Generator mit EUREM Namen an erster Stelle bei Google gelistet ist und ihr nichts bemerkt.
Wie wollt ihr erfolgreich sei, wenn ihr nicht einmal ein sicheres Wallet erstellen könnt?
Wenn ihr Charakter habt findet ihr für eure Kunden, die euch Milliarden Euro anvertraut haben, eine Lösung.
Ihr habt die materiellen und technischen Mittel dafür.
Es wird nicht gelingen diesen Skandal klein zu halten.

Hello IOTA team
You blame us IOTA customers for this sh ....!
It is YOUR responsibility that for several weeks a SCAM seed generator with EUREM name is listed first on Google and you will not notice.
How do you want to succeed if you can not even create a safe wallet?
If you have character you will find a solution for your customers who have entrusted you with billions of Euros.
You have the material and technical resources for it.
It will not succeed to keep this scandal small.
MMkrypto
M
Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)Attached to Tangle (439 reputation)
Seeing this endless list, this is beyond description. I dont know if blaming or judging victims is enough to figure out this situation for the IOTA team. Checking the news now, the article indicates, "Hackers has reportedly broke into an online IOTA seed generator website iotaseed.io"  My question is, does that mean if the iotaseed site was originally related to IOTA.
Although I got into cryptoworld lately, this would be one of the uglist and most ridiculous incident by now. Quote from the same article, "The attackers knew the seeds. You invited them into your wallet....by handing them your keys on a silver platter...." Excuse me? How IOTA  (legit) tech was open to illegit seed randomly generated by hackers? was it the wallet highly advanced tech system developed for users or technicians for your own community? The wallet system was totally unprotected which could set at least a second key recognizing only IOTA system. All the victims should gather an integrity to act out for our rights and funds. 
Come and  lets talk about our loss
@
IOTAS - let's talk.
leittersday
l
Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)Attached to Tangle (227 reputation)
Hello together, 

- LMXPRRWCNPDEAK9EZVECLDSIKLNTV9JGFMMZSBLLWDRX9PZEEKYKWSO9FWJSZ9DPFHTM9ZHMOCVHNBMYWVXYTSYCPW (587,9 Mi) 

- Confirmed -

Irgendwelche aussichten, dass man sein Geld wiederbekommt?

Vielen dank für eure Hilfe Sad

Luca
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search