When to use the reclaim tool

Author
c
Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In Late August, I moved some IOTA to wallet 2.4.0 for safekeeping. The balance showed up, and closed the wallet. I then got assigned a work contract which consumed almost all of my time for about 3 months. I came back to realize multiple new versions were created and that some people's IOTA were being held by the IOTA foundation due to improperly created seeds, or insecure seeds. It should be noted that I used the command listed on IOTASUPPORT.com to create my seed. 

cat /dev/urandom |LC_ALL=C tr -dc 'A-Z9' | fold -w 81 | head -n 1 

The seed did have zeros in it. So based on something I read elsewhere, I downloaded the latest client, changed all the zeros in my seed to 9s, and then began the "reattach" process. I reattached 60 times, but the balance did not ever update. 

Moving forward. based on a comment that I found on HelloIOTA, it appears that the reclaim tool does NOT apply to me because I was able to see my funds in version 2.4.0. 

If the reclaim tool does not apply to me, I cannot connect with client version 2.4, and the updated client does not accept my seed, what are my options? How do I know if I am one of those who were affected. 

Signed, 
I thought I did my due diligence. 

HELP
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
concernedcitizen - 10 Jan 2018
In Late August, I moved some IOTA to wallet 2.4.0 for safekeeping. The balance showed up, and closed the wallet. I then got assigned a work contract which consumed almost all of my time for about 3 months. I came back to realize multiple new versions were created and that some people's IOTA were being held by the IOTA foundation due to improperly created seeds, or insecure seeds. It should be noted that I used the command listed on IOTASUPPORT.com to create my seed. 

The seed did have zeros in it. So based on something I read elsewhere, I downloaded the latest client, changed all the zeros in my seed to 9s, and then began the "reattach" process. I reattached 60 times, but the balance did not ever update. 

Moving forward. based on a comment that I found on HelloIOTA, it appears that the reclaim tool does NOT apply to me because I was able to see my funds in version 2.4.0. 

If the reclaim tool does not apply to me, I cannot connect with client version 2.4, and the updated client does not accept my seed, what are my options? How do I know if I am one of those who were affected. 

Signed, 
I thought I did my due diligence. 

@concernedcitizen
Thanks for the post, and welcome to the community.

We should be able to get your situation figured out here, so bear with me if you can.

Let's start with a couple easy steps, and then we can go from there:
1. Download the newest version of the wallet. v2.5.6 https://github.com/iotaledger/wallet/releases (easy tutorial for downloading the wallet: https://helloiota.com/downloadwallet/1.html )
2. Login to the wallet with your old seed and generate a handful of addresses. Post those 5 (?) addresses here, and we can take a look at them in a tangle explorer together.
concernedcitizen
c
Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)
@Winston thanks for responding. Before I go forward, I want to clarify how to enter the seed. With the seed I originally created, I get the "invalid characters" message. Based on this message and my research, I replaced all the zeros with 9s in that seed. Should I do the same now before generating 5 addresses? 
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
concernedcitizen - 11 Jan 2018
@Winston thanks for responding. Before I go forward, I want to clarify how to enter the seed. With the seed I originally created, I get the "invalid characters" message. Based on this message and my research, I replaced all the zeros with 9s in that seed. Should I do the same now before generating 5 addresses? 

@concernedcitizen
The seed is composed of the characters: [A-Z] [9]
Here's a quick tuto on seed generation: https://helloiota.com/generate-seed.html

I don't quite understand the last question. You should login to the wallet with your seed and then generate some addresses. Logging into the wallet with a different seed each time will put you into a different wallet each time.
concernedcitizen
c
When using the seed I originally created, I am not able to log into wallet 2.5.6. I am getting an 'invalid character' error. From my research, this is because my seed has the number '0' in it. I would think others would be having this same problem, as I used the method below to create my seed. 

Basically, my seed does not work, even though I used it in wallet 2.4.0 without any problems. 

concernedcitizen
c
Please consider my matter resolved. The seed appeared to have zeros, and look like zeros, but they are the letter 'o'. I am back into the wallet and was able to recover my funds. 
Winston
Winston
@concernedcitizen
Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for posting with the resolution to your situation.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search