IOTA Balance Finder Tool

Author
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
The tool should tell you what it found.
johnprime
j
Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
johnprime - 8 Dec 2017
johnprime - 8 Dec 2017
Is this tool always going to be accurate? For example I have a seed belonging to a wallet back from June. This was before the CURL transition. Wouldn't this mean my seed would previously generate different addresses?
I added logging to this tool and noticed the addresses it generates are the same as the ones my current wallet generates, meaning it's checking addresses using the current hashing technique. For addresses in CURL_NOT_TRANSITIONED wouldn't it need to generate addresses using the old hashing technique to see if it's in the list?

Or am I missing something?

Just a noob here who's been out of the loop for 5 months and trying to recover my sweet, sweet IOTA

Alright, so apparently it's pretty well documented that this tool only works for already transitioned accounts.
I spent my morning looking into how to find my balances from my pre-transitioned seed and wanted to share with you guys how I did it:

Download this really old address generator:
https://github.com/domschiener/iota-address-generator
Unzip it and open up index.html in your browser.
Enter your seed and click save.
Select Security Level "2" (this is what it was for me).
Starting from key index 0, generate an address. search for the first half (not the whole thing) of this address in snapshot_september.txt and snapshot_october.txt. Note any hits.
Then try key 1, 2, etc, increasing by 1 each time until you feel you've checked all your old addresses.
I used this method just now to find 4 "curl_not_transitioned" addresses.

Hope this helps someone!.

Just FYI I've automated my process.

I've imported the old address generation project as a sub_module and tweaked this tool to allow for an optional parameter "p" to be added to check pre-transitioned seeds/addresses that were generated using the old hashing method. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it seems to work.

I've submitted a pull request to this repo, but my change can be found here: https://github.com/john--/IOTA-Balance-Finder

Of course, always be weary of unofficial code like mine, but I hope this helps someone else with an old seed like myself.

Attached is an example of running it with my seed and the "p" parameter.

Edited 2 Years Ago by johnprime
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
johnprime - 9 Dec 2017
johnprime - 8 Dec 2017
johnprime - 8 Dec 2017
Is this tool always going to be accurate? For example I have a seed belonging to a wallet back from June. This was before the CURL transition. Wouldn't this mean my seed would previously generate different addresses?
I added logging to this tool and noticed the addresses it generates are the same as the ones my current wallet generates, meaning it's checking addresses using the current hashing technique. For addresses in CURL_NOT_TRANSITIONED wouldn't it need to generate addresses using the old hashing technique to see if it's in the list?

Just a noob here who's been out of the loop for 5 months and trying to recover my sweet, sweet IOTA

Alright, so apparently it's pretty well documented that this tool only works for already transitioned accounts.
I spent my morning looking into how to find my balances from my pre-transitioned seed and wanted to share with you guys how I did it:

Starting from key index 0, generate an address. search for the first half (not the whole thing) of this address in snapshot_september.txt and snapshot_october.txt. Note any hits.
Then try key 1, 2, etc, increasing by 1 each time until you feel you've checked all your old addresses.

I've imported the old address generation project as a sub_module and tweaked this tool to allow for an optional parameter "p" to be added to check pre-transitioned seeds/addresses that were generated using the old hashing method. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but it seems to work.

I've submitted a pull request to this repo, but my change can be found here: https://github.com/john--/IOTA-Balance-Finder

Of course, always be weary of unofficial code like mine, but I hope this helps someone else with an old seed like myself.

@johnprime Awesome work! I'll ping Rajiv with this, thanks
BBN
B
Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)
Hi all, 

I tried everything but the tool doesn't show me any findings.

I transfered my IOTA on July 15th from bitfinex and by that time everything in the balance was ok. After that I transfered some IOTA from one wallet to a second wallet and the balance was ok.
Now the wallet doesn't show any balance, the tool doesn't show any findings. I generated 54 addresses till now, but no findings at all. 

Any ideas what else I can do?

Thanks a lot!
BBN
johnprime
j
Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)Attached to Tangle (311 reputation)
BBN - 10 Dec 2017
Hi all, 

I tried everything but the tool doesn't show me any findings.

I transfered my IOTA on July 15th from bitfinex and by that time everything in the balance was ok. After that I transfered some IOTA from one wallet to a second wallet and the balance was ok.
Now the wallet doesn't show any balance, the tool doesn't show any findings. I generated 54 addresses till now, but no findings at all. 

Any ideas what else I can do?

Thanks a lot!
BBN

You may have an old seed.

Can you try cloning my fork of the project instead? I reference an older project that allows to check both old and new seeds.
You can clone it with this command:
git clone --recursive https://github.com/john--/IOTA-Balance-Finder

"--recursive" is needed to download the other referenced project.
Then do the npm install as normal.
Then you can check your pre-trsnsitioned seed with:
node main.js <your seed> p
The "p" indicates to look for addresses generated from an old seed.
Let me know if you get any hits.
John

Edited 2 Years Ago by johnprime
johnprime
j
Winston - 10 Dec 2017
johnprime - 9 Dec 2017
johnprime - 8 Dec 2017
johnprime - 8 Dec 2017

@johnprime Awesome work! I'll ping Rajiv with this, thanks

Thanks! One thing I just noticed is that because I reference Dom Schiener's repo, my repo needs to be cloned with the "--recursive" flag:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/john--/IOTA-Balance-Finder

So if he does pull in my changes, we might need a tweak to the readme.
BBN
B
Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)Attached to Tangle (205 reputation)
Hello John,
thank you so much, your tool is a miracle!
I found my balance.
I just had a little issue with a seed that has 9999 at the end - by trying to type the seed (or to paste it) into the GIT Bash command field, the last 9 "jumps" to the first position and replaces the first character of the seed, and it is not possible to enter a "p" after the seed. By using GIT cmd the problem doesn't appear. Have you any idea why this happens?
Nevertheless, thanks again!

What happens next with the pre-transitioned seeds? How can I get my balance to be shown in the IOTA wallet again? Does it make sence to continue generating addresses, or wait for the reclaim process?

Best regards,
BBN
johnprime
j
BBN - 10 Dec 2017
Hello John,
thank you so much, your tool is a miracle!
I found my balance.
I just had a little issue with a seed that has 9999 at the end - by trying to type the seed (or to paste it) into the GIT Bash command field, the last 9 "jumps" to the first position and replaces the first character of the seed, and it is not possible to enter a "p" after the seed. By using GIT cmd the problem doesn't appear. Have you any idea why this happens?
Nevertheless, thanks again!

What happens next with the pre-transitioned seeds? How can I get my balance to be shown in the IOTA wallet again? Does it make sence to continue generating addresses, or wait for the reclaim process?

Best regards,
BBN

Yay Smile

I think the problem you describe is likely caused by your shell interpreter (bash, git shell, etc) not handling long lines very well. Nice job on still getting it to run. Expanding your console to a larger window might help with this in the future. Or maybe preparing the entire command in a text editor first.

Regenerating addresses won't really help you. I'm going to guess the reason your address(es) were in the snapshot was  "CURL_NOT_TRANSITIONED"? This would mean that they were generated using the old style of hashing. The new wallet will not generate the same addresses as before, so this does you no good.

You will need to use the Reclaim Tool. The Reclaim tool will allow the IOTA foundation return your IOTA to you. You will have to complete the reclaim process. Keep in mind with the network congestion at the moment you might have to be a little persistent to complete this process. I'm in the same boat as you and I have yet to complete Phase 2 (getting the Reveal Transaction confirmed), and I started it days ago.

Hope this helps,

John
MrCrown
M
Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (67 reputation)
@Winston When do you expect the snapshot from november?

Greets
ademirsjr
a
Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (15 reputation)
I was try use the tool, I found my Iotas, but when I try transfer I receive the following message:

Done, creating final transfer...
[ { address: 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX',
  value: 358986300,
  tag: 'CBSNAPSHOTTRANSFER',
  obsoleteTag: 'CBSNAPSHOTTRANSFER' } ] [ { address: 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX',
  balance: 358986300,
  keyIndex: 2,
  security: 2 } ] Error: Not enough balance
  at C:\Users\XXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\api\api.js:1157:37
  at makeRequest.prepareResult (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\utils\makeRequest.js:190:12)
  at exports.XMLHttpRequest.request.onreadystatechange (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\utils\makeRequest.js:62:25)
  at exports.XMLHttpRequest.dispatchEvent (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\xmlhttprequest\lib\XMLHttpRequest.js:591:25)
  at setState (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\xmlhttprequest\lib\XMLHttpRequest.js:610:14)
  at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\xmlhttprequest\lib\XMLHttpRequest.js:447:13)
  at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:164:20)
  at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1054:12)
  at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:138:11)
  at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:180:9) undefined
Sending money to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...
Error: Invalid Trytes provided
  at Object.invalidTrytes (C:\Users\XXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\errors\inputErrors.js:5:16)
  at api.attachToTangle (C:\Users\XXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\api\api.js:68:32)
  at C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\api\api.js:505:14
  at makeRequest.prepareResult (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\utils\makeRequest.js:190:12)
  at exports.XMLHttpRequest.request.onreadystatechange (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\iota.lib.js\lib\utils\makeRequest.js:62:25)
  at exports.XMLHttpRequest.dispatchEvent (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\xmlhttprequest\lib\XMLHttpRequest.js:591:25)
  at setState (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\xmlhttprequest\lib\XMLHttpRequest.js:610:14)
  at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\balance-finder\snapshot-recovery\node_modules\xmlhttprequest\lib\XMLHttpRequest.js:447:13)
  at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:164:20)
  at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1054:12) undefined '\nSent!'

What should I do, to reclaim my IOTAS?
nashos
n
Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)
@johnprime thanks for your tool!!! but i have the following error on linux:

$ node main.js XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXXXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX p
Address Search Type: Pre-Transitioned
Checking your balance...Press i at any time to stop...
Checking for new addresses

./pre-trans-generator/js/iota.js:1
window={};!function a(b,c,d){function e(g,h){if(!c[g]){if(!b[g]){var i="function"==typeof require&&require;if(!h&&i)return i(g,!0);if(f)return f(g,!0);var j=new Error("Cannot find module '"+g+"'");throw j.code="MODULE_NOT_FOUND",j}var k=c[g]={exports:{}};b[g][0].call(k.exports,function(a){var c=b[g][1][a];return e(c?c:a)},k,k.exports,a,b,c,d)}return c[g].exports}for(var f="function"==typeof require&&require,g=0;g<d.length;g++)e(d[g]);return e}({1:[function(a,b,c){window.IOTA=a("./lib/iota.js")},{"./lib/iota.js":10}],2:[function(a,b,c){function m(a,b){this._makeRequest=a,this.sandbox=b}var d=a("./apiCommands"),e=a("../errors/inputErrors"),f=a("../utils/inputValidator"),h=(a("../crypto/curl"),a("../crypto/converter")),i=a("../crypto/signing"),j=a("../crypto/bundle"),k=a("../utils/utils"),l=a("async");m.prototype.sendCommand=function(a,b){return this._makeRequest.send(a,b)},m.prototype.attachToTangle=function(a,b,c,g,h){if(!f.isHash(a))return h(e.invalidTrunkOrBranch(a));if(!
ReferenceError: console is not defined
  at m.getNewAddress (./pre-trans-generator/js/iota.js:1:6172)
  at process.stdin.on.check (/opt/IOTA-Balance-Finder/main.js:124:25)
  at Object.<anonymous> (/opt/IOTA-Balance-Finder/main.js:134:1)
  at Module._compile (module.js:413:34)
  at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:422:10)
  at Module.load (module.js:357:32)
  at Function.Module._load (module.js:314:12)
  at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:447:10)
  at startup (node.js:148:18)
  at node.js:405:3

Any idea to solve this error?
johnprime
j
nashos - 10 Dec 2017

window={};!function a(b,c,d){function e(g,h){if(!c[g]){if(!b[g]){var i="function"==typeof require&&require;if(!h&&i)return i(g,!0);if(f)return f(g,!0);var j=new Error("Cannot find module '"+g+"'");throw j.code="MODULE_NOT_FOUND",j}var k=c[g]={exports:{}};b[g][0].call(k.exports,function(a){var c=b[g][1][a];return e(c?c:a)},k,k.exports,a,b,c,d)}return c[g].exports}for(var f="function"==typeof require&&require,g=0;g<d.length;g++)e(d[g]);return e}({1:[function(a,b,c){window.IOTA=a("./lib/iota.js")},{"./lib/iota.js":10}],2:[function(a,b,c){function m(a,b){this._makeRequest=a,this.sandbox=b}var d=a("./apiCommands"),e=a("../errors/inputErrors"),f=a("../utils/inputValidator"),h=(a("../crypto/curl"),a("../crypto/converter")),i=a("../crypto/signing"),j=a("../crypto/bundle"),k=a("../utils/utils"),l=a("async");m.prototype.sendCommand=function(a,b){return this._makeRequest.send(a,b)},m.prototype.attachToTangle=function(a,b,c,g,h){if(!f.isHash(a))return h(e.invalidTrunkOrBranch(a));if(!

Hmm. Weird that console wouldn't be defined  I'm not at home right now but I will check later.
Did the original tool run for you?
nashos
n
Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)Attached to Tangle (337 reputation)
johnprime - 10 Dec 2017
nashos - 10 Dec 2017

Hmm. Weird that console wouldn't be defined  I'm not at home right now but I will check later.

Yes. your tool too when it's run on "normal" mode.
Edited 2 Years Ago by nashos
johnprime
j
nashos - 10 Dec 2017
johnprime - 10 Dec 2017
nashos - 10 Dec 2017

Hi @nashos can you try updating (git pull) or do a new clone and let me know if it works now?

Basically the old script I reference is made for the web and wasn't meant to be imported into a node.js app. Some workarounds were required. Apparently Linux required an additional one.

Thanks,
John
nashos
n
johnprime - 10 Dec 2017
nashos - 10 Dec 2017
johnprime - 10 Dec 2017
nashos - 10 Dec 2017

Hi @nashos can you try updating (git pull) or do a new clone and let me know if it works now?

Basically the old script I reference is made for the web and wasn't meant to be imported into a node.js app. Some workarounds were required. Apparently Linux required an additional one.

Thanks,
John

Works fine!!! Thanks.
johnprime
j
nashos - 10 Dec 2017
johnprime - 10 Dec 2017
nashos - 10 Dec 2017
johnprime - 10 Dec 2017
nashos - 10 Dec 2017

Thanks,
John

Works fine!!! Thanks.

Cool! Any luck finding any balances?

On a side note it looks like Rajiv has accepted my pull request, so my changes have been merged into his repository. This is good, so people don't have to clone mine anymore.
I will submit a new pull request with the fix for Linux. Thanks for finding this.
Thanks,
John
Florian
F
Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)
Hello guys,
just tried the the Recovery Tool.
Unfortunalty I would not find my Balance with it.
Any Idea what the reason could be? What does this indicates?
johnprime
j
Florian - 11 Dec 2017
Hello guys,
just tried the the Recovery Tool.
Unfortunalty I would not find my Balance with it.
Any Idea what the reason could be? What does this indicates?

When is the last time you saw your balance?

Florian
F
Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)Attached to Tangle (232 reputation)
Hey John,

oh man, this was a long time ago. I did the first reclaim process back in July or something. I could see my Balance under the new seed as "pending" but the transaction never got confirmed. After the snapshot the transaction disappeared and with it also my IOTA.

johnprime
j
Florian - 11 Dec 2017
Hey John,

oh man, this was a long time ago. I did the first reclaim process back in July or something. I could see my Balance under the new seed as "pending" but the transaction never got confirmed. After the snapshot the transaction disappeared and with it also my IOTA.

Huh... interesting.

Can you try adding the parameter "p" at the end of your command? It will make the tool search your pre-transitioned addresses.
e.g.,
node main.js YOURSEEDHERE p

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search