I sended my iotas on the wrong adress (no existing), using android IOTA wallet :o

I sended my iotas on the wrong adress (no existing), using android...
Author
R
Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like to ask somebody, if is it possible to get this amount back. I can see in my wallet all my iotas, but (because of i sended it yesterday on the wrong adress) it´s still pending. I controlled the adress, and the transfer is not confirmed. In my wallet is this transaction still pending (longer than 12hours).

Is there some way to cancel it? or get it back?
I have the Transaction Hash and the adress...

Thank you very much! R.
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Richard007 - 6 Jan 2018
I would like to ask somebody, if is it possible to get this amount back. I can see in my wallet all my iotas, but (because of i sended it yesterday on the wrong adress) it´s still pending. I controlled the adress, and the transfer is not confirmed. In my wallet is this transaction still pending (longer than 12hours).

Thank you very much! R.

@Richard007
Thanks for posting, and welcome to the community. You're going to have to urgently double spend a transaction and aggressively promote/reattach the new transaction to hopefully get it confirmed before the old/incorrect transaction is confirmed.

You'll have to do this with the CLI version of the wallet, which I have no experience with. I would recommend asking for help on the IOTA Slack by posting that you need to double spend by using the CLI wallet. Someone should be able to help you there. Here's an invite link to the slack channel:
https://join.slack.com/t/iotatangle/shared_invite/enQtMjkzNjAxODI4NjI3LTA4ODlkODM4MTQwYWE5ZDJmMDM5N2E3MzA5MDIwNmEzZmEwNmJjM2IwMjlkNTE4YTY5NTQxZWJkYjJjMjNlYmQ
Richard007
R
Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (54 reputation)
Dear Winston.
Thank you very much for your answer! I did as you sad, and met a really great boy on the slack, and he canceled / double spend it for me.
Unbelievable Smile In a second I have asked for a help. 

Looks like the IOTA community is really friendly and willing to help, nowadays is it not a very common thing.
Of course, thanks to you, it was a happy end Smile 
Have nice day, thank you!

Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Thanks for the great update. Very glad to see that you were able to save your funds! :IOTA:
dragangmija
d
Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (47 reputation)
Richard007 - 6 Jan 2018

Thank you very much! R.

Hello Richard007
I have same problem as you did, sent my iotas to wrong adress
Can you please help me, I understood that you got them back

mrpmorris
m
Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)
IOTA nodes really should refund transactions after X hours if they have been sent to an address that is not attached.
Winston
Winston
mrpmorris - 10 Jan 2018
IOTA nodes really should refund transactions after X hours if they have been sent to an address that is not attached.

@mrpmorris
It's not necessary to attach an address in order to receive funds at that address. The process of the sender sending the transaction automatically attaches the recipient's address to the tangle anyway
mrpmorris
m
Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (35 reputation)
Winston - 10 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris
It's not necessary to attach an address in order to receive funds at that address. The process of the sender sending the transaction automatically attaches the recipient's address to the tangle anyway

That's what I am saying needs to change. When someone sends out a payment from an address it creates a new address, so there should never be any need for a sender to attach an unknown address to the Tangle.
Winston
Winston
mrpmorris - 11 Jan 2018
Winston - 10 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris

That's what I am saying needs to change. When someone sends out a payment from an address it creates a new address, so there should never be any need for a sender to attach an unknown address to the Tangle.

@mrpmorris
This statement reflects misunderstanding of the protocol.

The sender is required to do the PoW that puts the receive address into the tangle regardless of prior status of that receive address
mrpmorris
m
Winston - 11 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris

The sender is required to do the PoW that puts the receive address into the tangle regardless of prior status of that receive address

What is it that you think I do not understand? 
The receiver must generate a receiving address before the sender can post a transaction to it, otherwise the sender has no way of knowing what the receiving address should be. I am saying that at that point the receiver should attach that address to the Tangle. Any outgoing transactions to unattached addresses could be accepted, but if the address is not attached within a specified time then the transaction should be reversed.
Winston
Winston
mrpmorris - 12 Jan 2018
Winston - 11 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris

What is it that you think I do not understand? 
The receiver must generate a receiving address before the sender can post a transaction to it, otherwise the sender has no way of knowing what the receiving address should be. I am saying that at that point the receiver should attach that address to the Tangle. Any outgoing transactions to unattached addresses could be accepted, but if the address is not attached within a specified time then the transaction should be reversed.

@mrpmorris
The confusion stems from thinking that the recipient must attach their address to the tangle prior to receiving a transaction at that address. This is incorrect. Addresses don't need to be attached by the recipient in order to receive funds at that receive address
mrpmorris
m
Winston - 12 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris
The confusion stems from thinking that the recipient must attach their address to the tangle prior to receiving a transaction at that address. This is incorrect. Addresses don't need to be attached by the recipient in order to receive funds at that receive address

No, I think you are misunderstanding what I am suggesting.
I am suggesting that if you send IOTA to an address that is not already attached then IOTA will wait X time before refunding it. The standard process when using IOTA would then be to attach your first address immediately, and whenever you send IOTA you would also generate a new receiving address immediately and attach that to the Tangle.

This way we have the following scenarios
1: User sends IOTA to an attached address
    = Success
2: User sends IOTA to a non-attached address
    = Warning in wallet
        = User cancels, no transaction takes place, user contacts the recipient to confirm their address
        = User confirms they are sure it's the correct address and sends the money anyway
            = Address is attached by the recipient within X time = Transaction is successful
            = Address is not attached within X time = Transaction is cancelled

Winston
Winston
mrpmorris - 13 Jan 2018
Winston - 12 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris

I am suggesting that if you send IOTA to an address that is not already attached then IOTA will wait X time before refunding it. The standard process when using IOTA would then be to attach your first address immediately, and whenever you send IOTA you would also generate a new receiving address immediately and attach that to the Tangle.

= Success
    = Warning in wallet
        = User cancels, no transaction takes place, user contacts the recipient to confirm their address
        = User confirms they are sure it's the correct address and sends the money anyway
            = Address is attached by the recipient within X time = Transaction is successful

@mrpmorris
Ah! Gotcha. Thanks for explaining that.

So this is a proposal to add another fail-safe feature to the wallet.

IOTA is designed to be extremely light weight, and is built for IoT devices. Requiring the sender to traverse the tangle looking for status of a receiving address would add computational and time requirements that would be detrimental to the system. But maybe you could add this feature as an extension to one of the human P2P wallets.
a28jj53
a
Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)
Richard007 - 6 Jan 2018

Thank you very much! R.

As far as I know, there is no way of cancelling the transaction but the transaction is deleted (IF it stays unconfirmed!) in the next snapshot and all your IOTAs are available again.
But transactions not being confirmed is a different problem - actually everything can be a valid address ... So hope, it never gets confirmed and the pending transaction is deleted in the next snapshot. Than you should have all IOTAs back.

Winston - 13 Jan 2018
mrpmorris - 13 Jan 2018
Winston - 12 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris

= Success
    = Warning in wallet

@mrpmorris

IOTA is designed to be extremely light weight, and is built for IoT devices. Requiring the sender to traverse the tangle looking for status of a receiving address would add computational and time requirements that would be detrimental to the system. But maybe you could add this feature as an extension to one of the human P2P wallets.

Sorry to say that, but it doesn't matter for what the system is INTENDED.
All that matters is how the system is used and developer will have to take this into account! Especially all the problems which occure because WE ARE NO ROBOTS.
If you insist on only letting IOTA be used by robots why is there a human interface (wallet)?
Edited 8 Months Ago by a28jj53
Winston
Winston
a28jj53 - 16 Jan 2018
Richard007 - 6 Jan 2018

Thank you very much! R.

As far as I know, there is no way of cancelling the transaction but the transaction is deleted (IF it stays unconfirmed!) in the next snapshot and all your IOTAs are available again.
But transactions not being confirmed is a different problem - actually everything can be a valid address ... So hope, it never gets confirmed and the pending transaction is deleted in the next snapshot. Than you should have all IOTAs back.

Winston - 13 Jan 2018
mrpmorris - 13 Jan 2018
Winston - 12 Jan 2018

@mrpmorris

= Success
    = Warning in wallet

@mrpmorris

Sorry to say that, but it doesn't matter for what the system is INTENDED.
All that matters is how the system is used and developer will have to take this into account! Especially all the problems which occure because WE ARE NO ROBOTS.
If you insist on only letting IOTA be used by robots why is there a human interface (wallet)?

"Sorry to say that, but it doesn't matter for what the system is INTENDED.
If you insist on only letting IOTA be used by robots why is there a human interface (wallet)? "

IOTA is not built for humans. Any developer is free to work on a wallet with an amazing UX, sure, but the Foundation isn't prioritizing that. This is one of the things that people have the hardest time understanding - that IOTA is meant to be the backbone of the coming IoT. They're not focused on being a point-of-sale solution right now. I guess the rudimentary human interface is just meant to be the bare minimum for humans to be able to help with distribution of the money supply right now. That's just speculation on my part though.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search