LatestSolidSubtangleMilestoneIndex suddenly jumps up to a high value

LatestSolidSubtangleMilestoneIndex suddenly jumps up to a high value
Author
Stefan Ekstam
Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have tried getting my full IOTA node working for a couple of weeks now. Yesterday I updated to IRI 1.4.1.4, and some of the problems were apparently addressed in the new version.

However, my main problem remains: After stopping and restarting the node a couple of times, the LatestSolidSubtangleMilestoneIndex jumps up to a value quite near the LatestMilestoneIndex, although it is actually nowere near it in reality.

A description of the process:
- I start the node with an empty mainnetdb directory
- IRI connects to my neighbors
- Fairly immediately, IRI says "Latest milestone has changed from #243000 to #309994"
- After a short while, IRI says "Latest SOLID SUBTANGLE milestone has changed from #243000 to #243006"

Then I let the node run, and everything seems to work just fine. Both the latest milestone and the lateset solid subtangle milestone keep updating.

If I now stop IRI (with Ctrl-C) for some reason, it shuts down nicely, without any error messages. However, when it comes up again, I no longer receive any latest solid subtangle milestone updates. If i perform a getNodeInfo call to the node, it says that my latest solid subtangle milestone index is 309699, although it should in reality probably be somewere near 244000. Then the index is stuck at 309699 and never updates again.

So it seems that the latest solid subtangle milestone index for some reason gets corrupted when shutting down.

Is there any way of fixing this problem, apart from starting all over again?

Regards,
Stefan

tawago
tawago
Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)Attached to Tangle (793 reputation)
@StefanEkstam
There is a known issue for the sub milestones on 1.4.1.4 that a lot of people are having hard time with.
There will be a next version update in coming future, i think.
https://github.com/iotaledger/iri/pull/435
Edited 2 Years Ago by tawago
Stefan Ekstam
Stefan Ekstam
Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)Attached to Tangle (294 reputation)
tawago - 23 Dec 2017
@StefanEkstam
There is a known issue for the sub milestones on 1.4.1.4 that a lot of people are having hard time with.
There will be a next version update in coming future, i think.
https://github.com/iotaledger/iri/pull/435

Hello tawago,

Thanks for the link!

It's actually quite scary that this kind of severe bugs still exist in the code, imo. I have invested many days in this now, trying to get my full node to work. Now I know that it's really no idea to continue, since I will never be able to fully catch up, the way the node code works right now.

I'll probably just let my node run, communicating with my neighbors, but without any hope to get fully synced until the next version is released.

Oh well, life is harsh... Smile

Regards,
Stefan

thorium
t
Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)
I was having similar issues. This is what worked for me:

Download latest snapshot from http://db.iota.partners/IOTA.partners-mainnetdb.tar.gz (updated every 30 minutes)

Stop iri daemon and delete content in mainnetdb folder and mainnetdb.log folder. 

Extract the new snapshot inside mainnetdb folder. 

Check directory permissions in case you changed anything.

Start iri as normal (no parameters)

It survived 3 restarts so far.
Edited 2 Years Ago by thorium
thorium
t
Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)Attached to Tangle (416 reputation)
...and it´s stuck again
Aaron Holmgren
A
Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)
I have the same issue here. I've had the full node going for weeks but can never get fully sync'd. I've used all techniques published on the net, including downloading the latest mainnetdb and restarting the node, which I've done a few times but with no success of ever reaching the latest milestone.

Edited 2 Years Ago by Aaron Holmgren
thorium
t
Had to do a restart yesterday and still going strong. Using Nelson btw to fill up the server mixed with some static nodes. It should sync quite quickly (a few hours) once the newest snapshot is installed.
Stefan Ekstam
Stefan Ekstam
I've been trying for weeks now, on UNIX machines and on Windows machines, both physical and virtual. Up till yesterday I had a fresh server running for five days in a row, incrementing the solid subtangle index from 243000 to around 289000, and then it crashed.

As always, when restarting the node, the solid subtangle index was set to just below the latest milestone index, from where it will never again change.

Performing a rescan doesn't help.

Downloading the latest mainnetdb doesn't help either, because as soon as the node crashes, it will invalidate the solid subtangle index.

This is just sad

Stefan Ekstam
Stefan Ekstam
After running a while, my node now reports the following:

12/31 02:49:18.060 [Solid Milestone Tracker] INFO com.iota.iri.Snapshot - Transaction resolves to incorrect ledger balance: -460066574127018

Well, at least it's something new and interesting happening. Not that it helps...
Aaron Holmgren
A
Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (114 reputation)
Yesterday my node was at a latestMilestoneIndex that matched the latest milestone on major public nodes, but the latestSolidMilestoneIndex was stuck. Today the latestMilestoneIndex is stuck at 293770, which is not unusual, I've seen this many times before... and the latestSolidMilestoneIndex is moving ahead but way behind, at 267140.

I can see the node just crashed 2 hours ago with:

Dec 30 20:25:24 vps163888 java[10030]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
Dec 30 20:25:24 vps163888 java[10030]: what(): std::bad_alloc
Dec 30 20:25:25 vps163888 systemd[1]: iota.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Dec 30 20:25:25 vps163888 systemd[1]: iota.service: Unit entered failed state.

Which is also typical... happens all the time. My vps has plenty of memory... it is not running out of memory. It has 8GB total and 5GB are allocated to the java virtual machine.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search