Help! My IOTA balance is zero! (steps to help you find your balance v2.5.7)

Help! My IOTA balance is zero! (steps to help you find your balance...
Author
o
Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@Winston, Yes. I am set. Thanks!
WhyIOTA
W
Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)
Thanks for all of the support/posts on this forum, it's been very helpful. However, I am one of the unlucky individuals that has not been able to recover my IOTAs yet. Below is a description of my situation. Any help/guidance is much appreciated:

I bought IOTA on Bitfinex and transferred it to my external wallet on 9/30/2017. I did not use an online service/website to generate my wallet seed. I wrote this Node.js script to generate IOTA wallet seeds randomly, so I am confident my seeds are random and were not transmitted to a 3rd party.

var keyLen = 81;
var count = 0;
var possible = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ9";
var pl = possible.length;
var key = '';
console.log('Generating Key...');
while (count < keyLen) {
  var ranCharIndex = Math.floor((Math.random() * pl) + 1);
  var ranChar = String(possible.charAt(ranCharIndex - 1));
  key += ranChar
  count++;
}
console.log('KEY:' + key);

I have used the following versions of the wallet previous to trying to recover my funds with the 2.5.4 wallet:

Like many others, I logged in with my seed using the 2.5.4 wallet and was shocked to see my balance of 0. I read Dom's posts about to the reclaim tool and the attack on the network that result in them shutting down the coordinator and the IOTA foundation taking custody of funds. I did find my wallet address in this snapshot file: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txt. It was labeled with a "KEY_REUSE_OCT" in that txt document. The balance of my address shown in that file is correct (2.5 Gi.)

Here's where it gets weird. I went through the reclaim process using the 2.5.4 wallet. I submitted my old seed and new seed using the reclaim tool. I was able to: Publish proof and got a confirmation that my proof was transaction was confirmed. After that the wallet showed an error message that said, "Recovery Old Seed Has a Balance". However, my wallet balance showed 0 for that wallet/seed when logged in to the wallet so I don't know why it showed me a message saying my wallet has a balance... At this point I was confused and tried using the reclaim tool again to be sure it was an edge case error and got the same result ("Recovery Old Seed Has a Balance" with my wallet still showing a 0 balance). At this point I decided to try to start generating new addresses to see if that would work. I have only used 5 addresses with this particular wallet. Those 5 addresses were the first 5 addresses that I have generated with this wallet. So far, I have generated a total of 90+ addresses (using the 2.5.4 wallet) but still haven't been able to recover my 2.5 Gi. 

Here's where it gets even weirder. After I generated about 30 addresses, 50 Mi showed up in my wallet. Like I mentioned above, I have only ever used 5 addresses and I have never sent or received 50 mi, so it was weird that amount showed up. I used the tangle explorer website to search the for the wallet addresses. The Tangle Explorer shows the correct amount of IOTA that I have sent and received for that address. The last transaction that I made with that address & wallet was 2.5 Gi received and the Tangle Explorer reflects that for that address. When I look at the wallet history, I see the 5 addresses that I have generated/used but all of them have been pending for almost 7 days now (I have tried rebroadcasting them all multiple times with no success)...

Here is the address that contains the 2.5 Gi that my wallet is supposed to have: RHODISEHZLUSALFFZBDLLRWFYFITTJHKK9PHVRXAVEVYKVUZFKRZUYKKLOJGBWALYRQSLHQENZDZDLAZXLDGHKTYFW

If someone stole the IOTA from my wallet, wouldn't it show the 2.5 Gi going out of that address? 

I have searched for each of the 90+ addresses that I generated in the Tangle Explorer and none of them show my 2.5 Gi going out. Nor do they show any transactions that I didn't make myself except for 50 Mi received... 

I realize this is a new technology and bugs happen. I also realize that I used an address more than once and I am kicking myself for this (hopefully this isn't why my funds aren't showing up). However, this raises the question: If address reuse was a know issue/vulnerability, why would the developers of the GUI wallet & IOTA allow addresses to be used more than once... something doesn't seem right there.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Bella1234567
B
Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)
can anyone advise how to check the balance of my iota address online?

WhyIOTA
W
Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (5 reputation)
Bella1234567 - 27 Nov 2017

Here: https://iotasear.ch/
or 
Here: https://thetangle.org/

Type in an address, transaction or bundle hash
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
@WhyIOTA First of all, thanks for the very detailed post! It's extremely helpful when people type up all of the known information along with an accurate sequence of events. Now, there's a lot to dig into here, so please bear with me as we try to get through everything.

'I did not use an online service/website to generate my wallet seed. I wrote this Node.js script to generate IOTA wallet seeds randomly, so I am confident my seeds are random and were not transmitted to a 3rd party.'
We're off to a good start here. So that pretty much rules out any seed issues.

'I did find my wallet address in this snapshot file: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txt. It was labeled with a "KEY_REUSE_OCT" in that txt document. The balance of my address shown in that file is correct (2.5 Gi.)' 
This means that completing the reclaim process will solve everything. 

'I submitted my old seed and new seed using the reclaim tool. I was able to: Publish proof and got a confirmation that my proof was transaction was confirmed. After that the wallet showed an error message that said, "Recovery Old Seed Has a Balance". However, my wallet balance showed 0 for that wallet/seed when logged in to the wallet so I don't know why it showed me a message saying my wallet has a balance... At this point I was confused and tried using the reclaim tool again to be sure it was an edge case error and got the same result ("Recovery Old Seed Has a Balance" with my wallet still showing a 0 balance).'
Someone must have sent a transaction to one of your addresses, or you must have sent a transaction which moved part of your balance to a new address within that wallet. Generating addresses until that portion of the old balance is in order.

'At this point I decided to try to start generating new addresses to see if that would work. I have only used 5 addresses with this particular wallet. Those 5 addresses were the first 5 addresses that I have generated with this wallet. So far, I have generated a total of 90+ addresses (using the 2.5.4 wallet) but still haven't been able to recover my 2.5 Gi.'
The only way to recover your 2.5 Gi that's stuck in a KEY_REUSE address, as you confirmed in the snapshot, you'll have to first send all of the active balance to a new seed, and then complete the reclaim process on the 2.5 Gi address. 

'After I generated about 30 addresses, 50 Mi showed up in my wallet.'
Perfect, so you've found the active balance! The next step will be to send that 50 Mi to a different seed (create a different seed, log out of this wallet, log in with the new seed, get a receive address, log out of that wallet, log back into the old wallet, and send a transaction to the receive address that you have copied from the new wallet). You should be allowed to complete the reclaim process from the old wallet as soon as that outgoing 50 Mi transaction is confirmed.

'If someone stole the IOTA from my wallet, wouldn't it show the 2.5 Gi going out of that address?'
Yep. The 2.5 Gi can't be stolen since it's stuck in the IOTA Foundation's address in the snapshot, as confirmed by KEY_REUSE denotation.

Bella1234567
B
Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)
WhyIOTA - 27 Nov 2017

or 

Thank you!

VALLEY BOY
VALLEY BOY
Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)
I am new to this. I actually done some research with IOTA.....I had already purchased $260MM in IOTA.......they were all purchased within the last two weeks (after the snapshot). 
I have an issue of how to move my deposit addresses (with its hash address) which I located using my seed (because when I sign on in the wallet, the balance is zero)........I created 25 transfers and 19 addresses - within those 25, I located the balances, but they are part of three different hashes. IOTA does not seem to have a chat room or an actual ph# to solve this issue - also, there are arrows pointing inward in green and outward in pink...does that mean the addresses with those balances in green are safe in the tangle, and the pink means it was transferred to a new address or it was cashed-out to an exchange ?? can anyone guide or assist me ??.......I am much appreciated for your help
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
choirguy - 28 Nov 2017
I am new to this. I actually done some research with IOTA.....I had already purchased $260MM in IOTA.......they were all purchased within the last two weeks (after the snapshot). 
I have an issue of how to move my deposit addresses (with its hash address) which I located using my seed (because when I sign on in the wallet, the balance is zero)........I created 25 transfers and 19 addresses - within those 25, I located the balances, but they are part of three different hashes. IOTA does not seem to have a chat room or an actual ph# to solve this issue - also, there are arrows pointing inward in green and outward in pink...does that mean the addresses with those balances in green are safe in the tangle, and the pink means it was transferred to a new address or it was cashed-out to an exchange ?? can anyone guide or assist me ??.......I am much appreciated for your help

@choirguy
How to send a receive a transaction: https://kb.helloiota.com/TroubleshooterGuide50008.aspx
Bella1234567
B
WhyIOTA - 27 Nov 2017

or 

Thank you now I know I had 0 balance in my pending address,,,,turns out my old seed had 0 balance when I had changed the seed...now I am going back to attach to tangle in old seed I  am so lost with this I don't know my old address that had balance otherwise I could have verified that balance or if there is keyreuse issue. Thank you anyways

slimmmm
s
Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)
Where is the best place I can get support on this issue? I've had IOTA in my wallet since the ICO, have gone through the details on the first post and still have not been able to reclaim my IOTA. I now cannot even log into my wallet using my seed. Serious help needed here guys, this is a bit ridiculous
Winston
Winston
slimmmm - 28 Nov 2017
Where is the best place I can get support on this issue? I've had IOTA in my wallet since the ICO, have gone through the details on the first post and still have not been able to reclaim my IOTA. I now cannot even log into my wallet using my seed. Serious help needed here guys, this is a bit ridiculous

@slimmmm This forum and the slack channel are the places where the community assists people having trouble. The best way to get help is by creating a new thread in this Help forum with all of the relevant details, and then I'll help walk you through the necessary steps
Winston
Winston
Bella1234567 - 28 Nov 2017
WhyIOTA - 27 Nov 2017

or 

Thank you now I know I had 0 balance in my pending address,,,,turns out my old seed had 0 balance when I had changed the seed...now I am going back to attach to tangle in old seed I  am so lost with this I don't know my old address that had balance otherwise I could have verified that balance or if there is keyreuse issue. Thank you anyways

@Bella1234567 If you haven't used the wallet in a long time (for example, if you hadn't used it since the last snapshot), it's very likely that your balance needs to be reclaimed anyway. So there's little use in doing the massive amounts of detective work to find your specific address in the snapshot, verify that it's there, see that's it's in the KEY_REUSE section, and then reclaim. You can skip all of the fluff and just go ahead and reclaim like you would have to do anyway, and you'll be good to go.

If you want to find your address in the snapshot anyway, I'd recommend just using the Balance Finder Tool (in the pinned thread at the top of this forum). If you run into any trouble, just post a new thread with all of the relevant details so that the community can help you out.
Bella1234567
B
Winston - 28 Nov 2017
WhyIOTA - 27 Nov 2017

or 

@Bella1234567 If you haven't used the wallet in a long time (for example, if you hadn't used it since the last snapshot), it's very likely that your balance needs to be reclaimed anyway. So there's little use in doing the massive amounts of detective work to find your specific address in the snapshot, verify that it's there, see that's it's in the KEY_REUSE section, and then reclaim. You can skip all of the fluff and just go ahead and reclaim like you would have to do anyway, and you'll be good to go.

If you want to find your address in the snapshot anyway, I'd recommend just using the Balance Finder Tool (in the pinned thread at the top of this forum). If you run into any trouble, just post a new thread with all of the relevant details so that the community can help you out.

Your post is hilarious you are right I was stressing so much doing flips and flops trying to be detective in the area I have little knowledge. Your post helped me so thank you.. I  hope this is my last question....( yes I have not used my wallet for a long time) I went to phase 1 to reclaim then phase 2 balance 0 changed the seed so you mean Iota guys will just send my balance back when my turn comes right.(have done attach to tangle 25 times will do upto 50)
Winston
Winston
Winston - 28 Nov 2017
WhyIOTA - 27 Nov 2017

or 

Your post is hilarious you are right I was stressing so much doing flips and flops trying to be detective in the area I have little knowledge. Your post helped me so thank you.. I  hope this is my last question....( yes I have not used my wallet for a long time) I went to phase 1 to reclaim then phase 2 balance 0 changed the seed so you mean Iota guys will just send my balance back when my turn comes right.(have done attach to tangle 25 times will do upto 50)

@Bella1234567 Yep, they'll supposedly just send your balance back to whatever new seed you complete the reclaim process with. I'm not sure how they plan on handling multiple reclaims, but it sounds like you won't be in that boat. Remember that your balance will still be 0 even after reclaiming, because the Foundation hasn't started processing those claims yet, so don't panic when nothing changes after finishing the whole process
dkt
d
Hi,

I hope now this is the correct thread to my problem Smile I'll try to be brief, any help would be greatly appreciated.

- I bought IOTA from a friend months ago, he transferred them to my Light Wallet 2.2.4, it worked, all fine.
- Several weeks later, Light Wallet 2.3.1, I checked and my balance was 0. I then read I have to generate addresses several times, did that, and again, it worked.
- Then I was travelling for a few months, only to find out when I came back, that I have the same problem again. Only this time, generating addresses, did not solve the issue. I tried many times, different nodes. First with Light Wallet 2.5.1.1, then some time later, hoping it was just a bug, with Light Wallet 2.5.4.
- I finally tried the "Reclaim Tool" in the new Light Wallet, giving my old SEED and a new SEED I randomly generated. I get a Transaction Hash and now got yet another new address, where my IOTA are supposed to be transferred.

My questions are:
1. Was the Reclaim Tool thought for the purpose I described? In other words, should I assume that I'll get the IOTA back to that new address?
2. If so, when are the IOTA supposed to be transferred (aprox) / when should I worry (again) if they're still not there?

Thanks!
Winston
Winston
dkt - 28 Nov 2017
Hi,

I hope now this is the correct thread to my problem Smile I'll try to be brief, any help would be greatly appreciated.

- I bought IOTA from a friend months ago, he transferred them to my Light Wallet 2.2.4, it worked, all fine.
- Several weeks later, Light Wallet 2.3.1, I checked and my balance was 0. I then read I have to generate addresses several times, did that, and again, it worked.
- Then I was travelling for a few months, only to find out when I came back, that I have the same problem again. Only this time, generating addresses, did not solve the issue. I tried many times, different nodes. First with Light Wallet 2.5.1.1, then some time later, hoping it was just a bug, with Light Wallet 2.5.4.
- I finally tried the "Reclaim Tool" in the new Light Wallet, giving my old SEED and a new SEED I randomly generated. I get a Transaction Hash and now got yet another new address, where my IOTA are supposed to be transferred.

My questions are:
1. Was the Reclaim Tool thought for the purpose I described? In other words, should I assume that I'll get the IOTA back to that new address?
2. If so, when are the IOTA supposed to be transferred (aprox) / when should I worry (again) if they're still not there?

Thanks!

@dkt Thanks for posting in this thread :IOTA:

1. Yes, the reclaim tool was made for the purpose you described. You should get your balance back on that new address when the Foundation starts processing claims.
2. The IOTA Foundation hasn't started processing reclaims yet. You can stay up to date on all of that with the Reclaim Status thread that's pinned in the General forum: https://forum.helloiota.com/1242/Reclaim-Status
dkt
d
Winston - 28 Nov 2017
dkt - 28 Nov 2017
Hi,

My questions are:

Thanks!

@dkt Thanks for posting in this thread :IOTA:

1. Yes, the reclaim tool was made for the purpose you described. You should get your balance back on that new address when the Foundation starts processing claims.
2. The IOTA Foundation hasn't started processing reclaims yet. You can stay up to date on all of that with the Reclaim Status thread that's pinned in the General forum: https://forum.helloiota.com/1242/Reclaim-Status

Great! Thanks a lot for your quick reply! Smile I'll follow that thread to stay up-to-date.
mm1alf
m
Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)Attached to Tangle (979 reputation)
Winston - 27 Nov 2017
Dizer - 27 Nov 2017
@Winston

Any update on whether the IOTA Foundation started processing the claims? I completed phase 1 and phase 2 of the reclaim process successfully, and now just waiting on when I will see my IOTA tokens in the wallet.

Also, How are we suppose to use the wallet to see the balance when it is available? I mean do I use the OLD SEED or the NEW SEED that we created during the reclaim process to log into the wallet? The reclaim tool gave me a new address for wallet, but I don't know what to do with it as no where in the wallet it asks to enter the new address.

Thanks for your support 

@Dizer Thanks for checking in. There still haven't been any official announcements, and I haven't seen anyone reporting their reclaim being processed yet. I'll continue to keep the reclaim status thread updated everyday, so that's the best way to keep an eye on the process: https://forum.helloiota.com/1242/Reclaim-Status

Well I'm up to 43 transactions/42 addresses, 3 red error flags & 1 invalid response. Still at zero iotas and no end in sight. Again I had my email bursting at the seams and still can't figure out this alphabet soup. ?
Winston
Winston
mm1alf - 28 Nov 2017
Winston - 27 Nov 2017
Dizer - 27 Nov 2017
@Winston

Any update on whether the IOTA Foundation started processing the claims? I completed phase 1 and phase 2 of the reclaim process successfully, and now just waiting on when I will see my IOTA tokens in the wallet.

Also, How are we suppose to use the wallet to see the balance when it is available? I mean do I use the OLD SEED or the NEW SEED that we created during the reclaim process to log into the wallet? The reclaim tool gave me a new address for wallet, but I don't know what to do with it as no where in the wallet it asks to enter the new address.

Thanks for your support 

@Dizer Thanks for checking in. There still haven't been any official announcements, and I haven't seen anyone reporting their reclaim being processed yet. I'll continue to keep the reclaim status thread updated everyday, so that's the best way to keep an eye on the process: https://forum.helloiota.com/1242/Reclaim-Status

Well I'm up to 43 transactions/42 addresses, 3 red error flags & 1 invalid response. Still at zero iotas and no end in sight. Again I had my email bursting at the seams and still can't figure out this alphabet soup.

@mm1alf 
I just can't follow your situation without a posting the entire context of your situation in its own standalone thread. Tucking comments into random threads and direct messages makes it impossible for me to follow. I really would love to help. I'm still not sure why your email is so full. I'm lost. Haha
Edited 3 Years Ago by Winston
Bella1234567
B
Winston - 28 Nov 2017
Winston - 28 Nov 2017
WhyIOTA - 27 Nov 2017

or 

@Bella1234567 Yep, they'll supposedly just send your balance back to whatever new seed you complete the reclaim process with. I'm not sure how they plan on handling multiple reclaims, but it sounds like you won't be in that boat. Remember that your balance will still be 0 even after reclaiming, because the Foundation hasn't started processing those claims yet, so don't panic when nothing changes after finishing the whole process

Ok thank you very really appreciate your help just one more question should I stay on the wallet 2.5.4 or should I upgrade my wallet to the newly released one sorry if it a dumb question.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search