Help! My IOTA balance is zero! (steps to help you find your balance v2.5.7)

Help! My IOTA balance is zero! (steps to help you find your balance...
Author
o
Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have 0 balance on my IOTA wallet and doing everything what I found as solution.
(Using light wallet to attach new addresses to Tangle, PowerShell script for check new addresses, reclaim tool, IOTA-Balance-Finder)
I bought IOTA on Nov 15/ 2017. Which is after the snapshot.
Is this means that my balance was simply stolen??

Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
DAff - 26 Nov 2017
Hallo

The Problem: Zero Ballance

My story: Hase update the wallet to 2.5.4  Than i logged in and use the reclaim tool. ( i know it was not necessary but i have do it)  Have create a new seed to activate the reclaim. But the reclaim dont have worked. There was  
always a massag with "pending".
Tha i tryed with the PlayStore App. But cant get the IOTAs at this way too :o(
Now i have the old seed and a new seed. (reclaim tool)

Now i have found my adress with my IOTAS in this list as "AVAILABLE"
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txt

Is that a good sign and what should i do now to get them back to the wallet ?

I hope for hope !
DAff

@DAff This is a great sign, yes. Since your address is listed as "Available", this means that you do not need to reclaim. Instead, you'll just need to generate as many addresses as you had used previously in your wallet. So if you used 15 addresses in your wallet before the last snapshot, you'd need to generate 15 addresses, and then you'd see your balance reappear in the wallet.

To generate addresses, click on 'Receive' in the wallet > 'Generate Address' > 'Attach to tangle' > after the attach is complete, click on the 'Attach to tangle' button and it'll convert back to saying 'Generate Address'. Repeat this process until you've generated all of your old addresses.

Post back here with your results or if you run into any trouble. Thanks.
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
ono333 - 26 Nov 2017
I have 0 balance on my IOTA wallet and doing everything what I found as solution.
(Using light wallet to attach new addresses to Tangle, PowerShell script for check new addresses, reclaim tool, IOTA-Balance-Finder)
I bought IOTA on Nov 15/ 2017. Which is after the snapshot.
Is this means that my balance was simply stolen??

@ono333 We'll need a few more details to figure out what's going on here. Can you see the history of transactions in your wallet? If so, what shows up there
ono333
o
Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (57 reputation)
Hi @Winston,

Thank you for your reply!
I had no history when I opened my wallet.

Winston
Winston
ono333 - 26 Nov 2017
Hi @Winston,

Thank you for your reply!
I had no history when I opened my wallet.

@ono333 Perfect. This means that you'll just need to generate a few addresses to see your balance show up again

Even though the following instructions are meant for people recovering their balances from the snapshot, the instructions themselves still apply to your situation. https://forum.helloiota.com/1587/Steps-if-your-balance-is-Available
Edited 3 Years Ago by Winston
ono333
o
@Winston, thank you for clarification!

I made only one transaction to my wallet.
Using a light wallet, I generated 93 addresses and attached to Tangle which mostly are pending.
I also generated 18 using a new seed which I assigned through reclaim tool.
And then I am using a PowerShell script to check new addresses which is keep generating 1000s of addresses, I think.

I don't understand why and how I would fined my balance by keep generating a new addresses which will never be the same address which I used for making the transaction to my wallet.
I do have a record of the transaction address but would this be a help? And how would that work, if there is a way? 

sidd60
s
Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)
Hi there,
I updated to the light wallet 2.5.4 and found 0 balance on my IOTA wallet.
My wallet history shows several pending and one confirmed send transaction occurring 4 days ago to an address which is not part of my addresses.

I generated my seed offline with an octave random seed generator using 81 characters, and saved the seed on an external drive.
Any ideas how to reclaim my IOTAs?

Winston
Winston
ono333 - 26 Nov 2017
@Winston, thank you for clarification!

I made only one transaction to my wallet.
Using a light wallet, I generated 93 addresses and attached to Tangle which mostly are pending.
I also generated 18 using a new seed which I assigned through reclaim tool.
And then I am using a PowerShell script to check new addresses which is keep generating 1000s of addresses, I think.

I don't understand why and how I would fined my balance by keep generating a new addresses which will never be the same address which I used for making the transaction to my wallet.
I do have a record of the transaction address but would this be a help? And how would that work, if there is a way? 

@ono333 Then you're using a different seed. If you're copy and pasting the seed from a text editor, try manually typing it into the wallet. This is a common problem. If you used less than 10 addresses previously on the wallet, then there's no use in generating any more than that
Winston
Winston
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Hi there,
My wallet history shows several pending and one confirmed send transaction occurring 4 days ago to an address which is not part of my addresses.

I generated my seed offline with an octave random seed generator using 81 characters, and saved the seed on an external drive.

@sidd60 So you see an outgoing confirmed transaction that you didn't generate? This is almost certainly due to accidental address reuse which allowed a bad actor to steal your balance from that address.
DAff
D
Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
DAff - 26 Nov 2017
Hallo

The Problem: Zero Ballance

My story: Hase update the wallet to 2.5.4  Than i logged in and use the reclaim tool. ( i know it was not necessary but i have do it)  Have create a new seed to activate the reclaim. But the reclaim dont have worked. There was  
always a massag with "pending".
Tha i tryed with the PlayStore App. But cant get the IOTAs at this way too :o(
Now i have the old seed and a new seed. (reclaim tool)

Now i have found my adress with my IOTAS in this list as "AVAILABLE"
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txt

Is that a good sign and what should i do now to get them back to the wallet ?

I hope for hope !
DAff

@DAff This is a great sign, yes. Since your address is listed as "Available", this means that you do not need to reclaim. Instead, you'll just need to generate as many addresses as you had used previously in your wallet. So if you used 15 addresses in your wallet before the last snapshot, you'd need to generate 15 addresses, and then you'd see your balance reappear in the wallet.

To generate addresses, click on 'Receive' in the wallet > 'Generate Address' > 'Attach to tangle' > after the attach is complete, click on the 'Attach to tangle' button and it'll convert back to saying 'Generate Address'. Repeat this process until you've generated all of your old addresses.

Post back here with your results or if you run into any trouble. Thanks.

Hay

I have the IOTAS. My mistake was to use the wrong Seed. As i used the first seed - from the begining as i installed the wallet first time - the IOTAs adrrived immediately.
Hope it can help other IOTA users.
Now i am happy. :o)
Thanks for help and hope for a better wallet.
Its time to buy new IOTAS :o)

DAff
sidd60
s
Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Hi there,

@sidd60 So you see an outgoing confirmed transaction that you didn't generate? This is almost certainly due to accidental address reuse which allowed a bad actor to steal your balance from that address.

Thanks @Winston,
yes, there is an outgoing transaction 4 days ago that I did not generate.
Are there any means to claim back my IOTAs?
Winston
Winston
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Hi there,

Thanks @Winston,

@sidd60 Unfortunately there's no way to recover IOTA that has been stolen in this way. Make sure to read about how to avoid address reuse in the future so that you can avoid having the rest of your balance stolen:
Everything to know about address reuse: (and how to avoid losing your funds!)
https://forum.helloiota.com/996/IOTA-Address-Reuse-Explained-for-Laymen
https://kb.helloiota.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50015.aspx
https://forum.helloiota.com/975/Address-Reuse-Discussion
sidd60
s
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Hi there,

Thanks @Winston,

@sidd60 Unfortunately there's no way to recover IOTA that has been stolen in this way. Make sure to read about how to avoid address reuse in the future so that you can avoid having the rest of your balance stolen:

Thanks Winston,
few things here:
1. address reuse:
I never used my wallet to send my IOTAs to some other address.
I only used my wallet once to RECEIVE IOTAs from Bitfinex.
So my wallet is/was for simply storing my IOTAs - I never exposed my addresses.

2. safe seed:
I used an octave based random seed generator which provides an offline arbitrary 81 character seed, which I also stored offline on a USB stick.
No way this seed has been exposed to the web or other third party people.

I am wondering, how is it possible that someone hacked my wallet?

Reading all other comments and more feedback from other people that are looking for their IOTAs on other IOTA forums throughout the web, the IOTA wallet is the opposite of secure. Storing them on Bitfinex or some other hot wallet seems to be much more safe, given their 2FA and other methods.

Winston
Winston
sidd60 - 27 Nov 2017
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Winston - 26 Nov 2017
sidd60 - 26 Nov 2017
Hi there,

Thanks @Winston,

Thanks Winston,
few things here:
1. address reuse:
I never used my wallet to send my IOTAs to some other address.
I only used my wallet once to RECEIVE IOTAs from Bitfinex.
So my wallet is/was for simply storing my IOTAs - I never exposed my addresses.

2. safe seed:
I used an octave based random seed generator which provides an offline arbitrary 81 character seed, which I also stored offline on a USB stick.
No way this seed has been exposed to the web or other third party people.

I am wondering, how is it possible that someone hacked my wallet?

Reading all other comments and more feedback from other people that are looking for their IOTAs on other IOTA forums throughout the web, the IOTA wallet is the opposite of secure. Storing them on Bitfinex or some other hot wallet seems to be much more safe, given their 2FA and other methods.

@sidd60 Let me take a step back here - my assumption of stolen funds was probably premature, especially before seeing a screenshot of the wallet history. Would you mind either posting a screenshot here or messaging it to me privately? It's smarter to take this one at a time instead of jumping to conclusions. That's my fault.
Edited 3 Years Ago by Winston
mlti
m
Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)Attached to Tangle (241 reputation)
Michael - 26 Oct 2017
Hello everyone!

I faced up quite unusual problem with my IOTA wallet. I have recently bought about 12,3 GI on bitfinex and transferred it to my wallet with two transaction (7,5 and 4,8 GI). I restored my balance (12.3 GI) successfully after a snapshot 2.5.1 in September. Then one of my friends send me 300 MI and I got it and had a balance approx. 12.6 GI. This is only input transactions I had ever had on this wallet.

But after 2.5.2 something went wrong. I tried to reattach my addresses again and failed. I managed to restore only last 300 MI, but not the rest 12.3 (although first two addresses were absolutely correct I checked it on bitfinex in “Withdraw” tab). I made more than 20 reattaches Just in case, but nothing happened. Then I went to explorer and tried to find one of my addresses there. I found it, but balance was zero (although it didn't use to be before last snapshot). I went to ipfs to find out if the the IOTA foundation has taken custody of my funds. Unfortunately, the category was “NONE”, but balance was correct!    

Now I have no idea where my IOTAs can be. My only guess is they were automatically transferred to new address, which couldn’t be found by my wallet. The only reason for this could be my unconfirmed transaction, which I have tried to complete even before 2.5.1, but after I had had 12.3 GI on my balance. But then I can’t understand why I have managed to restore it after 2.5.1. Does somebody has a guess where my IOTAs can be and how to restore it. And do you think it makes sense to reclaim it now? 

Hey, because you had 3 input transactions you need to attach 3 times. Not just once.
Dizer
D
Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)
@Winston

Any update on whether the IOTA Foundation started processing the claims? I completed phase 1 and phase 2 of the reclaim process successfully, and now just waiting on when I will see my IOTA tokens in the wallet.

Also, How are we suppose to use the wallet to see the balance when it is available? I mean do I use the OLD SEED or the NEW SEED that we created during the reclaim process to log into the wallet? The reclaim tool gave me a new address for wallet, but I don't know what to do with it as no where in the wallet it asks to enter the new address.

Thanks for your support 
Winston
Winston
Dizer - 27 Nov 2017
@Winston

Any update on whether the IOTA Foundation started processing the claims? I completed phase 1 and phase 2 of the reclaim process successfully, and now just waiting on when I will see my IOTA tokens in the wallet.

Also, How are we suppose to use the wallet to see the balance when it is available? I mean do I use the OLD SEED or the NEW SEED that we created during the reclaim process to log into the wallet? The reclaim tool gave me a new address for wallet, but I don't know what to do with it as no where in the wallet it asks to enter the new address.

Thanks for your support 

@Dizer Thanks for checking in. There still haven't been any official announcements, and I haven't seen anyone reporting their reclaim being processed yet. I'll continue to keep the reclaim status thread updated everyday, so that's the best way to keep an eye on the process: https://forum.helloiota.com/1242/Reclaim-Status
Dizer
D
Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)Attached to Tangle (222 reputation)
OK. Thanks @Winston. I will monitor the Reclaim-Status thread you mentioned.

Cheers, my friend

Dizer
ono333
o
Thanks @Winston! I finally got my balance back! I had error in typing the seed. (But there was no history showing on my wallet.)
Winston
Winston
ono333 - 27 Nov 2017
Thanks @Winston! I finally got my balance back! I had error in typing the seed. (But there was no history showing on my wallet.)

@ono333 So it sounds like you're all set, right
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search