I want to get involved! (How to get started)

Author
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
This post was inspired by the outpouring of people wanting to volunteer their time to IOTA (https://www.reddit.com/r/Iota/comments/77bk86/how_to_get_involved/ ). Speaking from experience, I know how difficult it is to jump in and start contributing here.

There are so many smart, talented, passionate people in this community, it'd be a huge loss if we didn't get you involved. Luckily, I think that we're finally at the point where we have a few solid ways for you to contribute! This is going to be a wall of text, so consider yourself warned. Here are some things that I think are important for us to pour our collective efforts into:
[Disclaimer: I'm just some guy from the community, and these are all my own personal opinions.]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Apply to the IOTA Evangelist Network (IEN)

For those not familiar with the tech industry, evangelists are the people on the ground who drive awareness and adoption of a new technology. If IOTA is going to gain mass adoption, it'll be through local and regional in-roads across the globe. The IEN already has a core group of members hosting local meetups in many cities.

But the IEN goes deeper than just field evangelism - there are also internal branches to support marketing efforts with research and operations roles. If you've got an inclination for giving presentations to small/large groups, hosting meetups, marketing strategy, branding, advertising, business analytics, connections/networking in industry (ANY industry!), or anything else in the realm of business development, you would be well served by applying to join the IEN.

The IEN is very lucky to be led by a former Wall Street FinTech expert, and it counts many other highly qualified professionals among its ranks as well. But don't be discouraged if you're not an executive with a 5 page CV! Even graphic designers could be helpful in making powerpoint slides and other informational documents. Don't be shy about applying, no matter what can you bring to the table.

Apply within: https://goo.gl/forms/OrrXmhu1rKfy2dgp2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Content Generation

>> Knowledgebasehttps://kb.helloiota.com

> Guides - We need guides for every situation. Somebody could even take the lead on outlining the names of each specific guide that needs to be made by making a thread and keeping it updated here in the General forum. Examples of some guides: getting started with the Android wallet, sending a transaction on the android wallet, how to set up a full node, how to use a tangle explorer, creating a seed on the UCL wallet, etc.  Scott and I will be writing a few new guides per month, so this will all eventually all get done, but it might take a while if it's just the two of us.

Actionable tasks: Make a thread that we could pin, outline and organize the names of all needed guides, chip in on guide content production (I know this may be tough for newcomers who are still learning about IOTA. No worries if that's the case. You can still pitch in by simply organizing the effort.), and keep the thread up to date as guides are published.

> FAQ - I think that we could organize a nice comprehensive FAQ. So many newcomers have the same questions which could be easily answered with one go-to resource. The FAQ could be a high level overview of everything in the IOTA ecosystem. Again, someone could take the lead on this, gather an informal group of 3 volunteers, and make a thread here on the forum to gather thoughts on the initiative. Maybe come up with a 3 phase model; 1) Push for everyday users on the slack/reddit/helloiota to submit their FAQ questions over the course of 1 week, 2) Send the list of questions to community veterans who could answer the easy questions while passing the tougher ones along to IOTA core/devs, and 3) organize and publish the FAQ on KB. Boom. All told, maybe a 3 week project for a small team putting in 30 minutes/day per person? 

Actionable tasks: Written above.  

> Forum - The Slack channel is great for answering simple questions quickly, fun speculation banter, and staying in touch with the IOTA core team both directly via conversation and indirectly via #announcements. But now that new membership is intermittently capped by Slack, it might be smart to start thinking about establishing a strong secondary platform for the community.

I'll do a tl;dr of why a forum like this is the best thing for a community of 20k+ like ours: Robust moderator tools that prevent the scams that occur on slack (the same username "feature") and prevent spam, conversations in thread format as opposed to live chat that disappears every few minutes (the #help team will no longer have to answer the same questions 100 times per day! Hooray!), & the ability to take the developer experience in the IOTA ecosystem to the next level by having a Projects forum with a list of all ongoing projects (that gives new devs a quick overview of the ecosystem and prevents 4 different tangle explorers from being built at the same time).

I have made sure to answer every question on the Help forum during the last month, and that's led to an increase in user satisfaction due to quickly resolved issues. This is very difficult to achieve on Slack since messages scroll past.

Actionable task: Help build knowledge on the forum. As you learn more about IOTA, answering questions in the Help forum is an excellent way to help the community while reinforcing what you've learned.

3. Developers
This is by far the most important category, and any developers who want to build something IOTA should dive in and do so. But it's probably safe to assume that this is the biggest bottleneck in terms of need right now - and that goes for all of crypto. The devs who want to be working on an IOTA project are likely already doing so. Nothing I say here will have much of an impact on that. So let's focus on the devs who are already working in the ecosystem:

>> Technical Documentation - https://wiki.helloiota.com : Simon is very kind to have taken the lead on the wiki project. It's still very much under construction, so don't let its looks fool you. Lots of work to be done.

We need loads more technical documentation, and a wiki seems to be the way to go. Devs new to IOTA and current devs alike will surely find documentation for every technical detail they encounter to be beneficial. This wiki is hosted on GitHub, so all the better.

Actionable task: Post or message us with your email for edit access on the wiki.
ALSO: u/Aftert1me suggested that videos and demos on how to start using IOTA libraries would be more beneficial than written documentation for junior devs. If any experienced devs want to make a few videos, we could arrange to post them in the appropriate locations. Someone reached out about this today, so hopefully momentum continues to build for developer tutorials.

>> Projects & Projects forum
Doing your own project on top of IOTA is the best thing that can be done. Make sure to post about it and keep us updated in the Projects forum. New devs just discovering IOTA will be able to see your project and collaborate as well. Just increases efficiency across the board

I hope this helps to point some of you in the right direction. There's pretty much an endless list of things that need to be done, so feel free to just jump in and start doing something. Let me know if I left anything off the list!

Edited Last Year by Winston
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Taylor Allen - 20 Oct 2017
@Winston Stupid question but here we go thread here is different from the slack, right? Here is a topic?

This is a "thread" or "topic", yep. Slack is referred to as having "channels"
Captainlime
C
Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)Attached to Tangle (202 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Thanks for the info Winston. I will put my head towards some guides. I will pull together what I can find around out there already and put it all in a thread. No use duplicating effort.
Winston
Winston
Finbar - 29 Oct 2017
Thanks for the info Winston. I will put my head towards some guides. I will pull together what I can find around out there already and put it all in a thread. No use duplicating effort.

@Finbar Great, thanks for the post.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search