Deflationary Monetary Policy

Author
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Scott J
Scott J
Forum Admin (21K reputation)
This is cryptocurrencies killer app: being deflationary stores of value in an increasingly inflationary world. 

mausarm
m
Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So, do you think a deflationary coin is a good thing for the IoT in the long run?
IrishOnTinder
I
Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Perhaps the biggest fear regarding deflation concerns debt and interest. When you have deflation, the actual value (in terms of purchasing power) of debt increases over time, even with 0% interest on the debt. I don't think loans are going to play such a big role with IoT/IOTA when compared to fiat and banks for instance. It's going to be a new kind of economy so your guess is as good as mine. Personally I think IOTA being deflationary is a good thing because it encourages early adoption which in turn should lead to a better future at least. Everyone knows IOTA isn't inflationary so even if there would be some type of IoT lending activity with it, deflation shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone (risks are known). Because IOTA is deflationary, most of the developers are happy to receive their salary in IOTA which is a good thing as well in my mind.

The fact that currently the value of IOTA is pegged to inlationary currencies complicates things a bit though (there will be minor inflation of BTC supply too for a century or so). Still, I think it's a good thing there is a fixed supply of IOTA.

Scott J
Scott J
Forum Admin (21K reputation)
mausarm - 27 Nov 2017
So, do you think a deflationary coin is a good thing for the IoT in the long run?

Yes, it is a fine thing. The max supply can be increased in the future if needed without having an inflationary effect on current holders. For example, by adding a 0 to the end of everyone's balance. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search