help on lost iota from new wallet created with new seeds on Ledger Nano

help on lost iota from new wallet created with new seeds on Ledger...
Author
Alexa
True IOTAn (10K reputation)
Group: Moderators
HardTiger - 17 Jun 2020
Hi Alexa,

I  got a record from  Binance :

https://www.screencast.com/t/5vHpNbO7m

Address:
BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

IOTA    Completed     3637.858    2019-04-04 17:18:46    Address:
BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB
TxID:
XDCOURX9CWIKXSZH9JKDWAXEOGCCTUWIGQCYBQ9KHIPDGETVCIVXRPTCKGLMBCFBJOYCNOM9QTHN99999
Transaction Fee:

i feel so happy i was able to at least achieve this .......

Tiger
@HardTiger
Yay! Congratulations, you’re the address hunter of the day! A real Tiger! BigGrin

Really, it’s very helpful that you found this address and it tells us two things for certain:
1. Good news first: You have definitely, absolutely, 1000% sure not been hacked. Your funds are still there: https://thetangle.org/address/BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

2. Now the bad news: The account you are using (yellow Nano + this specific index) is definitely not the correct account. Otherwise it would show the address BFHCGU… when you go to view addresses after a snapshot transition and it would also show the correct balance. But it doesn’t.
Instead it shows only the first address (the one you posted earlier which starts with QYBPVQ…) which has never been used.
If it had been used, it would be crossed out in the „View addresses“ list in Trinity and there’d be other addresses as well.
Now, if the first address of an account has never been used, there’s absolutely no way that any other address of this account has been used with Trinity. So this specific account is not the same that you used when you sent your funds from Binance to your BFHCGU… address.

What this means is that nothing you may do with this specific account (yellow Nano + this specific index number) will ever make the BFHCGU... address appear in the list of addresses. No snapshot transition, no coffee, no number of hail marys. Not even beer. Nothing. The account is wrong and this is not a technical issue with Trinity or the Nano. It’s basically an issue of your memory.

I do know that’s hard to accept because you clearly feel absolutely sure that the yellow Ledger + this exact index must be correct. Ian, I do not doubt what you’re saying, but maybe I doubt your memory. After all, it has been 14 months since you made this transaction from Binance.
Or maybe you made some mistake when you first wrote down the index number.

However, you will only be able to find your IOTA if you manage to figure out the correct account. There’s basically four possibilities:
1. The account is wrong because you’re using the correct Nano, but the wrong index number.
2. The account is wrong because you’re using the wrong Nano with the correct index number.
3. You’re using the wrong Nano and the wrong index number.
4. The BFHCGU…address is actually not a Nano address at all and belongs to a separate seed that has nothing to do with any of your Nanos.

It's impossible for anyone to tell you which of those four it is. But you weren’t sure about a few thing since we started this conversation and maybe that’s something we can work with.

At first it was all about the black Nano and you didn’t even mention that yellow one.
Now you could swear the yellow Nano is the correct one, but what if your first impulse was right and it’s actually the black one?

Then you remembered you bought some IOTA in early 2018 and put them on the black Nano. But as you said, you weren’t sure about it. Turns out that Nano was only supported since late 2018, so there’s no way you could have used the black Nano for IOTA in early 2018. That means that either your timeline is off and it was early 2019 instead of 2018 and you did put it on one of your Nanos. Or your timeline is correct and this small amount was not put on a Nano at that time. Which means that in this case you must have used some old seed with no connection to any Nano. 

You need to try to relax and go back in time in your memory. Take your time and try to remember what may have happened back then. Did you ever use a seed without a Nano? If you used a Nano which index would you likely have chosen? Something with a special meaning to you, like part of a birthday? Or maybe you didn’t change the index at that time and just went with the default which would be index number 0?

If nothing comes up at all, your only chance will be trial and error.
Start with whatever Nano you think is most likely the correct one and work your way up from index 0, then index 1, index 2 and so on.
Each try will have to be:
open Trinity -> click „Account“ -> „Add new Account“ -> connect and unlock your  Nano -> "Do you need to create a new seed?" „No, I have one.“ and proceed with the index number. If the balance is 0, perform a snapshot transition wait 2/3 minutes. Check „View Addresses“ and look for BFHCGU… One snapshot transition should be enough for each index because you say you basically didn’t use Trinity much.

If BFHCGU… doesn’t show up, move on to create a new account with the next index number and repeat the whole process.

Maybe do index 0 first on both your Nanos and the 1 to 9 with one Nano first and then switch to the other Nano to check index 1 to 9 there.

Once you find the BFHCGU… address you’ll know that you found the correct account. Write down this index number. If the balance of this account remains 0, it’s a technical issue. Try to disable automatic node management in settings and then turn off the 'enable quorum' option. Restart Trinity, insert password and again wait 2/3 minutes.

I know that this sounds totally devastating, but if you’re lucky you’ve never changed the default index 14 months ago and index 0 will do the trick on either black or yellow.

That Discord issue is still a mystery to me and I have no idea how to fix it.
But if that’s any consolation, the guys over there wouldn’t tell you anything different.

I’m truly sorry you’re going through this and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
HardTiger
H
Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Alexa - 17 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 17 Jun 2020
Hi Alexa,

I  got a record from  Binance :

https://www.screencast.com/t/5vHpNbO7m

Address:

IOTA    Completed     3637.858    2019-04-04 17:18:46    Address:
TxID:
XDCOURX9CWIKXSZH9JKDWAXEOGCCTUWIGQCYBQ9KHIPDGETVCIVXRPTCKGLMBCFBJOYCNOM9QTHN99999
Transaction Fee:

i feel so happy i was able to at least achieve this .......

Tiger
@HardTiger
Yay! Congratulations, you’re the address hunter of the day! A real Tiger! BigGrin

Really, it’s very helpful that you found this address and it tells us two things for certain:
1. Good news first: You have definitely, absolutely, 1000% sure not been hacked. Your funds are still there: https://thetangle.org/address/BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

2. Now the bad news: The account you are using (yellow Nano + this specific index) is definitely not the correct account. Otherwise it would show the address BFHCGU… when you go to view addresses after a snapshot transition and it would also show the correct balance. But it doesn’t.
Instead it shows only the first address (the one you posted earlier which starts with QYBPVQ…) which has never been used.
If it had been used, it would be crossed out in the „View addresses“ list in Trinity and there’d be other addresses as well.
Now, if the first address of an account has never been used, there’s absolutely no way that any other address of this account has been used with Trinity. So this specific account is not the same that you used when you sent your funds from Binance to your BFHCGU… address.

What this means is that nothing you may do with this specific account (yellow Nano + this specific index number) will ever make the BFHCGU... address appear in the list of addresses. No snapshot transition, no coffee, no number of hail marys. Not even beer. Nothing. The account is wrong and this is not a technical issue with Trinity or the Nano. It’s basically an issue of your memory.

I do know that’s hard to accept because you clearly feel absolutely sure that the yellow Ledger + this exact index must be correct. Ian, I do not doubt what you’re saying, but maybe I doubt your memory. After all, it has been 14 months since you made this transaction from Binance.
Or maybe you made some mistake when you first wrote down the index number.

However, you will only be able to find your IOTA if you manage to figure out the correct account. There’s basically four possibilities:
1. The account is wrong because you’re using the correct Nano, but the wrong index number.
2. The account is wrong because you’re using the wrong Nano with the correct index number.
3. You’re using the wrong Nano and the wrong index number.
4. The BFHCGU…address is actually not a Nano address at all and belongs to a separate seed that has nothing to do with any of your Nanos.

It's impossible for anyone to tell you which of those four it is. But you weren’t sure about a few thing since we started this conversation and maybe that’s something we can work with.

At first it was all about the black Nano and you didn’t even mention that yellow one.
Now you could swear the yellow Nano is the correct one, but what if your first impulse was right and it’s actually the black one?

Then you remembered you bought some IOTA in early 2018 and put them on the black Nano. But as you said, you weren’t sure about it. Turns out that Nano was only supported since late 2018, so there’s no way you could have used the black Nano for IOTA in early 2018. That means that either your timeline is off and it was early 2019 instead of 2018 and you did put it on one of your Nanos. Or your timeline is correct and this small amount was not put on a Nano at that time. Which means that in this case you must have used some old seed with no connection to any Nano. 

You need to try to relax and go back in time in your memory. Take your time and try to remember what may have happened back then. Did you ever use a seed without a Nano? If you used a Nano which index would you likely have chosen? Something with a special meaning to you, like part of a birthday? Or maybe you didn’t change the index at that time and just went with the default which would be index number 0?

If nothing comes up at all, your only chance will be trial and error.
Start with whatever Nano you think is most likely the correct one and work your way up from index 0, then index 1, index 2 and so on.
Each try will have to be:
open Trinity -> click „Account“ -> „Add new Account“ -> connect and unlock your  Nano -> "Do you need to create a new seed?" „No, I have one.“ and proceed with the index number. If the balance is 0, perform a snapshot transition wait 2/3 minutes. Check „View Addresses“ and look for BFHCGU… One snapshot transition should be enough for each index because you say you basically didn’t use Trinity much.

If BFHCGU… doesn’t show up, move on to create a new account with the next index number and repeat the whole process.

Maybe do index 0 first on both your Nanos and the 1 to 9 with one Nano first and then switch to the other Nano to check index 1 to 9 there.

Once you find the BFHCGU… address you’ll know that you found the correct account. Write down this index number. If the balance of this account remains 0, it’s a technical issue. Try to disable automatic node management in settings and then turn off the 'enable quorum' option. Restart Trinity, insert password and again wait 2/3 minutes.

I know that this sounds totally devastating, but if you’re lucky you’ve never changed the default index 14 months ago and index 0 will do the trick on either black or yellow.

That Discord issue is still a mystery to me and I have no idea how to fix it.
But if that’s any consolation, the guys over there wouldn’t tell you anything different.

I’m truly sorry you’re going through this and I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Hi Alexa,

Thanks for the good news, at least i believe you said you can see the iota.... i m not saying any thing about my memory or record keeping.....
Perhaps i did FXXK up good and proper .

I know i didnt change the index number, and kept it to low numbers,,,, but its a problem as trinity has not been an easy platform to work with.
Im not sure reading once , what i have to do ... i ll re read a few times , any how at least we ll figure it out .......

I  dont have any other stuff written down other than another password for Yellow nano with index 1 clearly marked.
I ll re read your notes and work through it tomorrow and on going.......

Thanks again for the help.
Do you know when Iota will be linked to ledger live,,, as it more straightforward .

Thanks again,
HardTiger
H
Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)Attached to Tangle (250 reputation)
Dear Alexa

Hope all is well and you had a strong drink after dealing with my issues Smile

Any how i m sorry i ve not been clear, yes parts are to do with my memory, but its not that bad . Any how i have notes related .
Another point i did nt want to make it too complicated , so i never mentioned the Yellow nano initially, and thought to start with the Black one.

One thing very clear, i dont understand the Trinity, and found it a daunting task going there, So my initial purchase of Iota was on  BLACK nano , in EARLY 2018.
As you mentioned ledger was not viable so  then i really did not know what i was doing if i was doing any thing correct....... So forget that quantity as i have nothing noted of seeds etc .

As i could not figure out what or where the Iota was, come the 2nd batch, as per the Address i gave to you from Binance, i decided to buy another nano YELLOW  and place the Iota there. Once again, i was very un sure totally about Iota / trinity etc, I  thought i did every thing correct,with index etc.
From the time i bought 2nd batch to the hack , time to time, i d go into trinity, as fumble around testing i could access. So what i have written down now appears to be in correct, i bow down to this.

Now im trying to resolve as per what you have explained the snap shot seem to take a while.
How many index are there possible ?

I  know i always choose 1 , as i  want to be no1  but instead  i am no 1   at fxxk ups ..... Smile

I ll let you know how it goes, at least  starting with Yellow.

Ciao ,
Tiger

HardTiger
H
Dear Alex,

Sorry me again,

1)Just to let you where i am on Yellow Nano  up to index 6 still nothing.
This is what i do ;
Create new account,  take a snap shot
after 15 mins or so..... balance is zero , i agree with the balance.....  hot exit ....  open tools.
wait 3-5 mins,
View address  which is show top /to match ....BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

I  did not do the below ......

If the balance remains 0 (zero), try to disable automatic node management in settings and then turn off the 'enable quorum' option.
Restart Trinity, insert password and again wait 2/3 minutes."

2)I  did find another transfer it was the 1st  purchase of Iota.
https://www.screencast.com/t/gQeJTx3dCIk

Also i have read my note i think a bit incomplete for this purchase of 89.4 iota,,, i have a brief seed i think its short.......
However once i ve solved 1 ( the big purchase 4.4.19)  i ll focus of this one.

Tiger

Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 18 Jun 2020
Dear Alex,

Sorry me again,

This is what i do ;
after 15 mins or so..... balance is zero , i agree with the balance.....  hot exit ....  open tools.
wait 3-5 mins,
View address  which is show top /to match ....BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

If the balance remains 0 (zero), try to disable automatic node management in settings and then turn off the 'enable quorum' option.

Also i have read my note i think a bit incomplete for this purchase of 89.4 iota,,, i have a brief seed i think its short.......

Tiger

@HardTiger
Hey Tiger,
sorry I couldn’t reply to you. It wasn’t because of too many strong drinks though BigGrin. I was just really busy these last few days. 
But at this point I can’t do much to help you anyway when all you can do is try to work your way through all the index numbers…

About the good news and me being able to see your funds: I do see them and you can see them as well All you have to do is click on this link: https://thetangle.org/address/BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

And now we got the first purchase address as well (good hunter!), so here’s your balance: 
https://thetangle.org/address/PFPLSZUOITUCRNGKBBGCWGRLSIGOPGEDBEMDHTPJMXRBGRPHCIXBFRCDWIITXAJXQNKJMTRWZMWUDEQBXJNQJGJRKW

About Ledger Live, here’s what Charlie (IF Trinity lead developer) said about it last month:
„Insofar as we only support Winternitz one time signatures we will not be added to Ledger Live. Ledger are not inclined to support a nonstandard signature scheme. However, with the addition of Ed25 in Chrysalis (IOTA 1.5) it becomes possible.“
While „possible“ doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, it’s sure better than „impossible“. IOTA 1.5 is scheduled to happen in October I think, so maybe after that Ledger Live may decide to support IOTA. Or maybe not, we'll have to wait and see. 

Now that you’ve posted that screenshot of your first IOTA purchase on 12.12.2018 at least we know for sure now that your timeline was indeed off and that „my initial purchase of Iota was on  BLACK nano , in EARLY 2018.“ isn’t true. It was LATE 2018. But that's good because at that point IOTA was already supported on Ledger Nano, so you could be right about the part of only ever using IOTA with one of your Ledger Nanos and never with a separate seed. I think it’s good to know this.

However, now you also say you think you did find a „short seed“ now? How short exactly is it (please do not post it)? A seed should have 81 characters (A-Z and number 9). If it’s much shorter than this or contains other characters it can’t be a seed. What could it be then? Some sort of „encrypted“ password or index maybe? Or maybe a part of a seed with other parts stored somewhere else?

Your description of what you do with each index sounds about right to me but I don’t think you need to wait 15 minutes after each snapshot.
3 minutes should be enough. After that you can go to „View Addresses“ and not wait a second time. I’m not sure what „hot exit“ means. Just keep on using the account from start to finish without exiting Trinity or anything. I’ll just post the steps once more:
open Trinity -> click „Account“ -> „Add new Account“ -> connect and unlock your  Nano -> "Do you need to create a new seed?" „No, I have one.“ and proceed with the index number. If the balance is 0, perform a snapshot transition wait 2/3 minutes. Check „View Addresses“ and look for BFHCGU… and now also PFPLS… from your first purchase. If these addresses don’t show up on the list, move to the next index ans repeat the steps.

The other part of the instructions (try to disable automatic node management in settings and then turn off the 'enable quorum' option.
Restart Trinity, insert password and again wait 2/3 minutes.) only needs to be done if you already found the index with the correct address BFHCGU… or PFPLS… but the balance still remains 0.

Unfortunately each Ledger can have 1000 index numbers (from 0 to 999), so it will take a loooong time to check all of them.
If you like the number 1 so much, maybe also try 11, 111 or 101 first?

I hope you’re able to still enjoy your weekend and not spend all your time with this.

Good luck! 

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
HardTiger
H
Alexa - 20 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 18 Jun 2020
Dear Alex,

Sorry me again,

This is what i do ;
wait 3-5 mins,

Tiger

@HardTiger
Hey Tiger,
sorry I couldn’t reply to you. It wasn’t because of too many strong drinks though BigGrin. I was just really busy these last few days. 
But at this point I can’t do much to help you anyway when all you can do is try to work your way through all the index numbers…

About the good news and me being able to see your funds: I do see them and you can see them as well All you have to do is click on this link: https://thetangle.org/address/BFHCGUYCACSZEQFQRHRJYJGSMZGUC9KXIOBVXOBYWKEXTFUGILLZ9KPBHVO9SZ9FHJUYGYELOIJELFQADNCHRICURB

And now we got the first purchase address as well (good hunter!), so here’s your balance: 
https://thetangle.org/address/PFPLSZUOITUCRNGKBBGCWGRLSIGOPGEDBEMDHTPJMXRBGRPHCIXBFRCDWIITXAJXQNKJMTRWZMWUDEQBXJNQJGJRKW

About Ledger Live, here’s what Charlie (IF Trinity lead developer) said about it last month:
„Insofar as we only support Winternitz one time signatures we will not be added to Ledger Live. Ledger are not inclined to support a nonstandard signature scheme. However, with the addition of Ed25 in Chrysalis (IOTA 1.5) it becomes possible.“
While „possible“ doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, it’s sure better than „impossible“. IOTA 1.5 is scheduled to happen in October I think, so maybe after that Ledger Live may decide to support IOTA. Or maybe not, we'll have to wait and see. 

Now that you’ve posted that screenshot of your first IOTA purchase on 12.12.2018 at least we know for sure now that your timeline was indeed off and that „my initial purchase of Iota was on  BLACK nano , in EARLY 2018.“ isn’t true. It was LATE 2018. But that's good because at that point IOTA was already supported on Ledger Nano, so you could be right about the part of only ever using IOTA with one of your Ledger Nanos and never with a separate seed. I think it’s good to know this.

However, now you also say you think you did find a „short seed“ now? How short exactly is it (please do not post it)? A seed should have 81 characters (A-Z and number 9). If it’s much shorter than this or contains other characters it can’t be a seed. What could it be then? Some sort of „encrypted“ password or index maybe? Or maybe a part of a seed with other parts stored somewhere else?

Your description of what you do with each index sounds about right to me but I don’t think you need to wait 15 minutes after each snapshot.
3 minutes should be enough. After that you can go to „View Addresses“ and not wait a second time. I’m not sure what „hot exit“ means. Just keep on using the account from start to finish without exiting Trinity or anything. I’ll just post the steps once more:
open Trinity -> click „Account“ -> „Add new Account“ -> connect and unlock your  Nano -> "Do you need to create a new seed?" „No, I have one.“ and proceed with the index number. If the balance is 0, perform a snapshot transition wait 2/3 minutes. Check „View Addresses“ and look for BFHCGU… and now also PFPLS… from your first purchase. If these addresses don’t show up on the list, move to the next index ans repeat the steps.

The other part of the instructions (try to disable automatic node management in settings and then turn off the 'enable quorum' option.
Restart Trinity, insert password and again wait 2/3 minutes.) only needs to be done if you already found the index with the correct address BFHCGU… or PFPLS… but the balance still remains 0.

Unfortunately each Ledger can have 1000 index numbers (from 0 to 999), so it will take a loooong time to check all of them.
If you like the number 1 so much, maybe also try 11, 111 or 101 first?

I hope you’re able to still enjoy your weekend and not spend all your time with this.

Good luck! 

Hi Alexa,
Great to get your mail, i thought you gave up with me as there was no hope.

Thanks for your mail, im just going through the index all... step by step.

Loading the seed - says on Trinity, and Nano say generating address - this process that 10-15 mins, never 3 mins 
What do i do - Hot exit ( disconnect before balance is shown ?)

Short seed found  6 characters ( i guess i copied only the highlighted ones shown at the end )  this was for the inital purchase .of 89. Not sure if i used black or not now .
Also i have written down checksum xxx ( x = character)

I  bought more  Iota, and left if on the exchange till i resolve this issue ,as i thought my 2nd purchase i had done every thing correct.
Can you understand - how was it ever possible that i could check my balance, with out having the correct index ?

Chat latter,

Ian

HardTiger
H
Ciao Alexa,

Also i noted in my 1st purchase ,  after the check sum -  Export seed vault with  a password ..... does it mean any thing ?
Is there any place which saves the seeds where possible to store safely ?
Ciao
Tiger.
HardTiger
H
Ciao Alexa ,

Look - what i found in  Black Nano S - Index 1

https://www.screencast.com/t/tQbJTxU9S6Qe

My memory sucks as does my note making !!

Ciao
Tiger
HardTiger
H
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.
With regards to the Black Nano, i was playing with Trinity , and found the 89 inital purchase.

Please see :
https://www.screencast.com/t/yv2gFIyR

https://www.screencast.com/t/NCrn344O66

Are the above each deposits to the wallet index 1, It shows address and does not show dates ?

Is this then the total within the wallet ?

So 3.63 Gi and 89.41Mi  is the total in Index 1 ......?
Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.
With regards to the Black Nano, i was playing with Trinity , and found the 89 inital purchase.

Please see :

Are the above each deposits to the wallet index 1, It shows address and does not show dates ?

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 
Wow, I’m sooooo happy that finally this episode came to a good end!
Oh, and I wouldn’t give up on anyone this easily, I just have a whole bunch of other stuff to take care of.

However, there are still a few things you’ve asked about and we haven’t talked about yet.
That „short seed“ thing doesn’t make any sense to me. 6 characters is very short and I don’t think it could have to do with a seed.
If you mean you may have written down the highlighted part of an address, it should be easy for you to compare if these 6 characters are a part of your first purchase address PFPLSZUOITUCRNGKBBGCWGRLSIGOPGEDBEMDHTPJMXRBGRPHCIXBFRCDWIITXAJXQNKJMTRWZMWUDEQBXJNQJGJRKW.

The XXX checksum could belong to a seed. If you create a separate seed instead of your Nano, Trinity will display a XXX checksum to make it easier to detect a typo when you need to restore your account. If the checksum doesn't match, you’ll know that there’s a mistake in the seed you’re using somewhere and you need to check again. But as a Nano user you don’t have access to the seed or its checksum.

The „Export SeedVault“ function can also only be used without a Ledger Nano device. SeedVault is a password-protected KeePass file (.kdbx) containing your seed. So, yes, that’s a place to safely store your seeds if not using a Ledger Nano. Trinity lets you export a SeedVault file to KeePass as a backup. You can then just import that file instead of having to type your seed manually when you need to restore this account.

Now, why do you have theses notes about SeedVault?
Have you maybe been tinkering with Trinity for a bit just to see how it works? Created a seed for experimental purposes, exported the SeedVault file and noted down the XXX checksum for this seed? If you did, you’d also have noted down a password for the SeedVault, so that could explain your notes. Might even have been the mobile version of Trinity. Trinity mobile doesn’t support the Ledger Nano devices, so if you’ve ever tried it, you could only have done so by creating a separate seed. Now, you could just go and check if you can find any SeedVault file on your computer or your mobile phone. They usually look like this: „SeedVault-2020-06-22-1234.kdbx“.
I don’t think it’s important though. We know now that all your funds are stored with black Nano index 1 (yes, 3.63 Gi and 89.41Mi is the total of Index 1 and from what you've told me that should be correct). So, if you’ve ever created a separate seed for whatever reason, you’ve not used it to store your funds. Therefore it’s not necessary to solve this mystery because that seed would be empty anyway.
Unless… your memory is hiding another purchase from you? BigGrin

In the „View Addresses“ list, you only see which address holds which amount of IOTA, but not how they got there. Your received and sent transactions are visible in the history part of you main screen. Looks like this:

But transactions are not meant to be stored on the tangle forever and many node owners don’t keep the entire history because the database just gets too large over time. Some nodes do though and in order to see rather old transactions in Trinity you’ll have to be connected to such a so called „permanode“. Try these „Trinity Settings“ -> „Nodes“:

If you wish to store your transactions details forever, you should not rely on the node owners as they may one day decide to just delete old transactions from their database or maybe in the future they’ll take a small fee for their service.
Therefore it would be best if you take notes or make screenshot from transactions that you want to keep.

Talking about notes… Please, dearest Tiger, do take notes of important stuff!
If there’s anything we’ve learned here it’s that your memory really, really loves to play tricks on you. BigGrin

I still don’t understand why you couldn’t see your funds when you first started this thread.
Black Nano was correct, but were you looking at the wrong index then? Or was the index correct too and all it would haven taken would have been a snapshot transition? Oh well, it doesn’t matter much now, I guess.

Congrats on your successful recovery of your precious IOTA!

HardTiger
H
Alexa - 22 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.

Please see :

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 
Oh, and I wouldn’t give up on anyone this easily, I just have a whole bunch of other stuff to take care of.

However, there are still a few things you’ve asked about and we haven’t talked about yet.
That „short seed“ thing doesn’t make any sense to me. 6 characters is very short and I don’t think it could have to do with a seed.
If you mean you may have written down the highlighted part of an address, it should be easy for you to compare if these 6 characters are a part of your first purchase address PFPLSZUOITUCRNGKBBGCWGRLSIGOPGEDBEMDHTPJMXRBGRPHCIXBFRCDWIITXAJXQNKJMTRWZMWUDEQBXJNQJGJRKW.

The XXX checksum could belong to a seed. If you create a separate seed instead of your Nano, Trinity will display a XXX checksum to make it easier to detect a typo when you need to restore your account. If the checksum doesn't match, you’ll know that there’s a mistake in the seed you’re using somewhere and you need to check again. But as a Nano user you don’t have access to the seed or its checksum.

The „Export SeedVault“ function can also only be used without a Ledger Nano device. SeedVault is a password-protected KeePass file (.kdbx) containing your seed. So, yes, that’s a place to safely store your seeds if not using a Ledger Nano. Trinity lets you export a SeedVault file to KeePass as a backup. You can then just import that file instead of having to type your seed manually when you need to restore this account.

Have you maybe been tinkering with Trinity for a bit just to see how it works? Created a seed for experimental purposes, exported the SeedVault file and noted down the XXX checksum for this seed? If you did, you’d also have noted down a password for the SeedVault, so that could explain your notes. Might even have been the mobile version of Trinity. Trinity mobile doesn’t support the Ledger Nano devices, so if you’ve ever tried it, you could only have done so by creating a separate seed. Now, you could just go and check if you can find any SeedVault file on your computer or your mobile phone. They usually look like this: „SeedVault-2020-06-22-1234.kdbx“.
I don’t think it’s important though. We know now that all your funds are stored with black Nano index 1 (yes, 3.63 Gi and 89.41Mi is the total of Index 1 and from what you've told me that should be correct). So, if you’ve ever created a separate seed for whatever reason, you’ve not used it to store your funds. Therefore it’s not necessary to solve this mystery because that seed would be empty anyway.

In the „View Addresses“ list, you only see which address holds which amount of IOTA, but not how they got there. Your received and sent transactions are visible in the history part of you main screen. Looks like this:

But transactions are not meant to be stored on the tangle forever and many node owners don’t keep the entire history because the database just gets too large over time. Some nodes do though and in order to see rather old transactions in Trinity you’ll have to be connected to such a so called „permanode“. Try these „Trinity Settings“ -> „Nodes“:

If you wish to store your transactions details forever, you should not rely on the node owners as they may one day decide to just delete old transactions from their database or maybe in the future they’ll take a small fee for their service.
Therefore it would be best if you take notes or make screenshot from transactions that you want to keep.

If there’s anything we’ve learned here it’s that your memory really, really loves to play tricks on you. BigGrin

I still don’t understand why you couldn’t see your funds when you first started this thread.
Black Nano was correct, but were you looking at the wrong index then? Or was the index correct too and all it would haven taken would have been a snapshot transition? Oh well, it doesn’t matter much now, I guess.

Hi Alexa,

Sorry i wasted all your time, and all the effort you gave to me.
I was so very sure it was in the yellow nano so i only but tried the yellow, and black i tried the index 0 with out moving ahead with that.
My notes were in accurate , and although i checked many times, i never corrected my notes to show Black nano.
I  really dont know why.

Yes i was tinkering with Trinity, before the 1st purchase, and thought i was to put the iota there. I remember buying Iota, leaving it on Binance, and when the word was out LEDGER nano was linked to Trinity i moved it across . But still kept these notes.

The records i have from Binance should be sufficient for future tax issues .

Well i knew it was index 1, so i was partially correct.
I m sure of there are not other purchases so im not going to investigate.

I ll practice more times with Trinity and ledger,so to be more familiar with it. Im so happy its solved, and happy it was my note taking.

Business of Iota, do you have knowledge of good sources for the projects and its possible price predictions  in next 5 years or so.

Thanks for showing the history tabs i ll follow and record accoringly.

Thanks again Alexa.

Tiger.

Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Alexa - 22 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.

Please see :

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 

Hi Alexa,

I was so very sure it was in the yellow nano so i only but tried the yellow, and black i tried the index 0 with out moving ahead with that.
My notes were in accurate , and although i checked many times, i never corrected my notes to show Black nano.
I  really dont know why.

Yes i was tinkering with Trinity, before the 1st purchase, and thought i was to put the iota there. I remember buying Iota, leaving it on Binance, and when the word was out LEDGER nano was linked to Trinity i moved it across . But still kept these notes.

I ll practice more times with Trinity and ledger,so to be more familiar with it. Im so happy its solved, and happy it was my note taking.

Business of Iota, do you have knowledge of good sources for the projects and its possible price predictions  in next 5 years or so.

Thanks again Alexa.

Tiger.

@HardTiger
Don’t worry, you never wasted my time.
It was totally worth it all and seeing you united with your IOTA makes me happy too! Smile

For an overview about important news and progress in development, I suggest you take look at the official IOTA Foundation newsletter: https://blog.iota.org/newsletter/home

Then we’ve got the Hello IOTA YouTube channel with Chris delivering his brilliant weekly Roundup videos: 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfq6x_5wCrXh0mUa-1iRX9g/videos
These are really cool because they are easy to follow even if you’re not so good with the technical side of this stuff.
You’re never going to miss a great new partnership or project if you watch the Roundup videos.

For price talk you might enjoy this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/IOTAmarkets/

You’re very welcome, Tiger. It’s been a pleasure to hunt with you! BigGrin

HardTiger
H
Alexa - 23 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Alexa - 22 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.

Please see :

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 

Hi Alexa,

I  really dont know why.

Thanks again Alexa.

Tiger.

@HardTiger
It was totally worth it all and seeing you united with your IOTA makes me happy too! Smile

For an overview about important news and progress in development, I suggest you take look at the official IOTA Foundation newsletter: https://blog.iota.org/newsletter/home

Then we’ve got the Hello IOTA YouTube channel with Chris delivering his brilliant weekly Roundup videos: 
These are really cool because they are easy to follow even if you’re not so good with the technical side of this stuff.
You’re never going to miss a great new partnership or project if you watch the Roundup videos.

For price talk you might enjoy this subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/IOTAmarkets/

Ciao  Alexa,

Thanks for all the help it was great piecing my  iota history together .
Yes it was a good ending, and i was able to resolve it.
Yes i bought more over the weekend, nothing to much,  thinking i had lost the batches....

I ll go through the links thanks for sending them.

Tall beers when Iota hits $100 ? See you in Munich then.

Ciao,
Tiger.
Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 24 Jun 2020
Alexa - 23 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Alexa - 22 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.

Please see :

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 

Hi Alexa,

I  really dont know why.

Thanks again Alexa.

Tiger.

@HardTiger

Ciao  Alexa,

Yes i bought more over the weekend, nothing to much,  thinking i had lost the batches....

Ciao,
Tiger.

So now you've got even more IOTA than before.
I'd say that's a pretty good outcome. Smile

Tall beers at 100$/ Miota in Munich sounds like a solid plan in every respect! BigGrin

HardTiger
H
Alexa - 25 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 24 Jun 2020
Alexa - 23 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Alexa - 22 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.

Please see :

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 

Hi Alexa,

I  really dont know why.

Thanks again Alexa.

Tiger.

@HardTiger

Ciao  Alexa,

Ciao,
Tiger.

Tall beers at 100$/ Miota in Munich sounds like a solid plan in every respect! BigGrin

Alexa,

Deal - see you in Munich the Miota $100.

I was about to let you go, but i noted another problem .....
I  thought i had sent my iota to Trinity, confirming  on  Binance ... it did not leave , and still shows processing :

https://www.screencast.com/t/LwVeG1QoF

The address was a generated trinity  and confirmed on nano  black.

Any idea...?

Cant get rid of me that easily !

Ciao

Tiger
Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 25 Jun 2020
Alexa - 25 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 24 Jun 2020
Alexa - 23 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Alexa - 22 Jun 2020
HardTiger - 22 Jun 2020
Dear Alexa,

Hope all is well.

Please see :

@HardTiger

Good Hunter!!! 

Hi Alexa,

I  really dont know why.

Thanks again Alexa.

Tiger.

@HardTiger

Ciao  Alexa,

Ciao,
Tiger.

Alexa,

Deal - see you in Munich the Miota $100.

I was about to let you go, but i noted another problem .....
I  thought i had sent my iota to Trinity, confirming  on  Binance ... it did not leave , and still shows processing :

https://www.screencast.com/t/LwVeG1QoF

The address was a generated trinity  and confirmed on nano  black.

Any idea...?

Cant get rid of me that easily !

Ciao

Tiger

Ciao Tiger,

Binance will usually not send single transactions. They group several withdrawals together and send them out in batches. Big bundles with many transactions at once. Guess you'll just have to wait for them to put yours into a bundle. No idea what takes them so long, sometimes they're just really slow. 

This is not an IOTA or Trinity or Nano issue, only Binance can make your transaction happen.  Nothing to worry about, but if it takes too long for your taste you could open a ticket on Binance. 

However once they do send it, it might take a while to get confirmed as the tangle also tends to be slow these past few days. If you need help you can just post your address or transaction hash here so I can copy it (no screenshot this time) and I'll see what I can do.

HardTiger
H
Ciao  Alexa,

Thanks for the update.
Ja, this  Binance takes its time, i was worried, before .
Any how still its still not arrived. Will i need to ONLY  open Trinity  with out nano  to view received iotas?

Any how  at least its on its way ........

Ciao,

Tigre.
Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 25 Jun 2020
Ciao  Alexa,

Thanks for the update.
Ja, this  Binance takes its time, i was worried, before .
Any how still its still not arrived. Will i need to ONLY  open Trinity  with out nano  to view received iotas?

Any how  at least its on its way ........

Ciao,

Tigre.

@HardTiger
I saw your withdrawal finally got confirmed yesterday, so it should be fine now.
And yes, you don't need your Nano to view your balance. You only need to connect it to send funds or get a new receive address.

Ciao
Alexa

HardTiger
H
Ciao Alexa,

Thanks for the update.
I  have check the trinity account, and does not show the balance....

Also i checked the Binance account , it shows the transfer is rejected.

https://www.screencast.com/t/MzIFTsgYn

Also its not in the Binance wallet....

Any ideas whats going on ?

1 min latter :........

Waiiiiiiiiittttt , just checked and what popped in :

https://www.screencast.com/t/Vn6wmSKirUS

Grazie again Alexa

Ciao Tigre

Edited 2 Years Ago by HardTiger
Alexa
Alexa
HardTiger - 28 Jun 2020
Ciao Alexa,

Thanks for the update.
I  have check the trinity account, and does not show the balance....

Also i checked the Binance account , it shows the transfer is rejected.

https://www.screencast.com/t/MzIFTsgYn

Also its not in the Binance wallet....

Any ideas whats going on ?

1 min latter :........

Waiiiiiiiiittttt , just checked and what popped in :

https://www.screencast.com/t/Vn6wmSKirUS

Grazie again Alexa

Ciao Tigre

Oh well. No idea why Binance is showing a "Rejected" status for a confirmed transaction.
Sometimes they seem to be pretty confused. 

Regarding Trinity it's often helpful to just be patient and wait for a little while to let it fetch all the info from the node. 
Good to see all your funds united on Nano black now. Smile 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search