Any news on Stolen IOTA recovered this year ?

Author
B
Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I had all my IOTA stolen back in January of 2018. I heard they caught the guy and recovered all the stolen IOTA. Has there been any updates to the case ? 

I have e-mailed IOTA but they suck at answering my questions and frankly appear to not care. The 2nd to last e-mail I sent Feb.1/19 was answered May 21/19 (almost 4 months later) with a bullshit response

Philipp Mack (IOTA Foundation)

May 21, 09:19 CEST
Hi Bnf,

This case is still under active investigation by the police. If we have any information to share with the public in the future, we will gladly do so.

Regards,
Philipp Mack
".

I was a token holder that believed in IOTA's technology. The technology may be great but their customer service sucks big time. What is more important than the community that supports you ? 

It was partly IOTA's fault by not having proper on boarding available and instructions showing how to safely set things up.

I am no longer impressed.
Maria
Maria
Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)Attached to Tangle (376 reputation)
Byron - 31 May 2019
I had all my IOTA stolen back in January of 2018. I heard they caught the guy and recovered all the stolen IOTA. Has there been any updates to the case ? 

I have e-mailed IOTA but they suck at answering my questions and frankly appear to not care. The 2nd to last e-mail I sent Feb.1/19 was answered May 21/19 (almost 4 months later) with a bullshit response

Philipp Mack (IOTA Foundation)

May 21, 09:19 CEST
Hi Bnf,

This case is still under active investigation by the police. If we have any information to share with the public in the future, we will gladly do so.

Regards,
Philipp Mack
".

I was a token holder that believed in IOTA's technology. The technology may be great but their customer service sucks big time. What is more important than the community that supports you ? 

It was partly IOTA's fault by not having proper on boarding available and instructions showing how to safely set things up.

I am no longer impressed.

Hello Byron,
I understand and share your anger that you were led astray by a scammer and screwed it up.
So many of us were betrayed and fell into this scumbags trap.
But don't you see you GOT an update? It is: the case is still under investigation.
You say you are a token holder, byron, hello, holder of a cryptocurrency token! that's completely different from a customer.
And then, you are expecting "customer service"?
Also, the "customer service" does not suck big time. As far as I see, they are into it, invest a lot of time and efforts and say they will gladly share information if there
was any. What more can you expect?
In my opinion you should reconsider your attitude and be glad that there are community members at all who care about unlucky birds like us.
Back in 2018, it was a chain of unlucky circumstances, no doubt about that.
But such is life sometimes. Why don't you take a more positive view of things?  
I am sure that Philipp Mack will do what he says: if there is something he can say, then he will.
Just my view of things.​

Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @Byron,

I understand your frustration.
To catch up on how the thief was caught and even watch him get arrested, I really recommend reading this:
https://www.bankinfosecurity.com/police-arrest-10-million-iota-cryptocurrency-theft-suspect-a-11971
and this: https://blog.iota.org/iota-community-assists-local-authorities-with-arrest-of-fraud-suspect-for-creating-a-fake-seed-b5a5768adae2.

When you do read these articles, maybe you come to realize that without the assistance of the IF, the thief would have never been caught at all and your chances of ever seeing your stolen funds again would be exactly zero.

The IF did care from the start, they just weren’t very vocal about it and so it’s not surprising that their efforts went pretty much unnoticed by the general public. But they did help the police a great deal, explaining what had happened and how it could happen.
They shared every bit of insight they gathered themselves or from community efforts and Koen met the officers in charge in person to make sure they got whatever assistance they needed. Koen and Julie both also kept in close contact with me during the investigations and enabled direct cooperation of the community, the police and the IF.

If your personal experience with the IF is unsatisfying, you sure have a reason to be upset.
However, the IF is not a company and you are not their customer. There’s no customer service at all and that’s totally fine.
If you want customer service of any kind, you need to stay away from crypto in general as other crypto’s dev teams don’t offer that either.

And if you want to (partly) blame the IF for the theft, go ahead. But as a matter of fact, the majority of investors were able to create secure seeds and keep them safe. The info needed to do so was available to everyone and your decision to rather trust a random website to generate your seed is just that: your own decision. I’m not saying seed creation couldn't have been made clearer or easier. It could have.
But IOTA was and still is under development and things improve as we move forward. When people agree to using a technology that's in its infancy they also agree to make sure they truly understand what they are dealing with and how it works before they actually use it.
I'm not saying it’s your fault either. It's not. You made a decision that turned out to be a horrible mistake and I'm sorry that this happened to you and other community members who lost their funds. But the only one who is responsible for the theft is the person who committed this crime and I hope that he'll get what he deserves and that all victims will get their funds returned some day.

Now, about how to proceed, please scroll down a little bit to read my post here (the green one, marked as „Answer“):
https://forum.helloiota.com/9284/Call-to-action-lets-catch-the-thief?PageIndex=48
If there’s any news about the case I will post them in this tread.

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Byron
B
Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)
Thank you very much posters. I guess I need to settle down a bit. I did have 10 GI worth stolen at the time which cost me quit a bit.
I also appreciate your kindness towards my abrasive post. Will wait and see. Hopefully I can recover something.
Thanks again.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search