Cannot access my Iota funds

Author
n
Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi 

I have not looked at my trinity wallet in a long time.

I have iota at the following addresses:

10/09/2018 22:14        -918.25256            L9TSRRTKSFNTIXSYCMWEUBNJDSVKKRPCHPROULJOSX99NZQLIGZKKFHINKSNGBRXMKJOTYU9GVCMVSFACLFUKIRIYX
03/05/2018 10:47        -143.73            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC
19/12/2017 20:49        -117.5            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC
30/11/2017 17:40        -167            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC
23/08/2017 21:27        -940.74            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC

They were sent to my wallet. The were sent to the old android wallet and I am not sure if the last one was sent to trinity or the old wallet, but it does have a different address.

I logged in to trinity and had a seed saved , but it is bringing up zero balance. I am not sure if this was a seed I generated when i first downloaded trinity and did not save the old seed. Although I am not sure how I sent the last transaction, as it was in September, and the seed I saved was July 2018.

When I try to generate address I only get one address, which is not the addresses above or dies not have any balance on it. How do I attach the above addresses? I am worried the seed is bad or is wrong.

When I tried to log into the old Android wallet it does not work anymore. The balances are still on the above addresses.
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (8.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
neilwally - 13 Apr 2019
Hi 

I have not looked at my trinity wallet in a long time.

I have iota at the following addresses:

10/09/2018 22:14        -918.25256            L9TSRRTKSFNTIXSYCMWEUBNJDSVKKRPCHPROULJOSX99NZQLIGZKKFHINKSNGBRXMKJOTYU9GVCMVSFACLFUKIRIYX
03/05/2018 10:47        -143.73            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC
19/12/2017 20:49        -117.5            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC
30/11/2017 17:40        -167            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC
23/08/2017 21:27        -940.74            EDXJ9JSNCYDRZTOTTKIGHRRLIWHPWXQTTRFGSRUODPVVSC9SVOHETTJZDP9QJSJBTAHXZCTWKYJVVVUYXYCSBIEPIC

They were sent to my wallet. The were sent to the old android wallet and I am not sure if the last one was sent to trinity or the old wallet, but it does have a different address.

I logged in to trinity and had a seed saved , but it is bringing up zero balance. I am not sure if this was a seed I generated when i first downloaded trinity and did not save the old seed. Although I am not sure how I sent the last transaction, as it was in September, and the seed I saved was July 2018.

When I try to generate address I only get one address, which is not the addresses above or dies not have any balance on it. How do I attach the above addresses? I am worried the seed is bad or is wrong.

When I tried to log into the old Android wallet it does not work anymore. The balances are still on the above addresses.

Hi @neilwally,
welcome to Hello IOTA!

It doesn’t really matter which wallet you used when you received your funds. The only thing that matters is the seed. Funds are never sent „to a wallet“, but to an address which is calculated from your seed. If you put the correct seed into any wallet (only official ones please!), the same addresses will be connected to it and they’ll also always be calculated in the same order.

However in Trinity, you can’t generate addresses like you used to with the Lightwallet. But Trinity can check your addresses automatically if your balance is 0 after a snapshot. In Trinity, log in with your seed and then go to "Account" -> "Account management" -> "Tools" -> and hit the "Transition" button.
It will check a number of addresses (don’t know exactly how many, but I think maybe 30) and then ask you if your balance is correct.
If it isn’t, just press „No“ and it will check more addresses. When it's correct, press "Yes" and you're done.

This will of course only work if you use the correct seed, but which seed you need to use is something that only you can figure out.

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
neilwally
n
Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (27 reputation)
thanks, I have tried that many times, to no luck. When I generate address it just gives me one, which does not match the address I sent the iota to. Also when I transition I never see any addresses. the balance always stays zero. I am afraid this is a seed I created when I may have set up Trinity, and did not import the old one. The problem is I have not checked the balance in like over 6 months. I remember the balance was coming up correctly on my phone, but I am afraid it might be the old app, I honestly cannot remember as my memory is bad,

It's annoying when I know the address I sent it to from bitfinex and I can see the balances on the tangle, but i cannot access them. I stored seeds on google play notes, but it looks like i deleted the iota seed by mistake.

Is there any way I can prove to Iota that these are my iota and to try and get them? i know the answer is no. but it's annoying. imagine losing your bank password/id and going there, knowing you had money in a safety deposit box, but they would not let you access it and you lost your password. it;s just gonna sit there for eternity!!

I might buy the same iota. it looks like it will cost me 700 bucks , so its reasonably cheap now compared to what i actually paid for them Sad
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (8.9K reputation)
Group: Moderators
neilwally - 13 Apr 2019
thanks, I have tried that many times, to no luck. When I generate address it just gives me one, which does not match the address I sent the iota to. Also when I transition I never see any addresses. the balance always stays zero. I am afraid this is a seed I created when I may have set up Trinity, and did not import the old one. The problem is I have not checked the balance in like over 6 months. I remember the balance was coming up correctly on my phone, but I am afraid it might be the old app, I honestly cannot remember as my memory is bad,

It's annoying when I know the address I sent it to from bitfinex and I can see the balances on the tangle, but i cannot access them. I stored seeds on google play notes, but it looks like i deleted the iota seed by mistake.

Is there any way I can prove to Iota that these are my iota and to try and get them? i know the answer is no. but it's annoying. imagine losing your bank password/id and going there, knowing you had money in a safety deposit box, but they would not let you access it and you lost your password. it;s just gonna sit there for eternity!!

I might buy the same iota. it looks like it will cost me 700 bucks , so its reasonably cheap now compared to what i actually paid for them Sad

Well, Trinity’s snapshot transition feature doesn’t generate and display addresses like the older wallets did, it just checks them. If it doesn’t find any balance, you’re not using the same seed you used to receive funds.

If you want to look at more addresses of you seed, you can still generate as many as you like with the Lightwallet. It doesn’t get updates anymore and is therefore not recommended to use, but it still works.

You said you used some old Android wallet. I know nothing about these because none of them was official. But did your old wallet app maybe store your seed somehow on your phone? You could ask the app’s developer if there’s any chance to recover your seed from the app data or something.

The only thing I know about Google play notes is that it’s definitely not a recommended method of storing seeds. But, deleted data of all sorts can be retrieved sometimes and I think it’s worth a try to ask around in the #help channel on Discord. It’s full of very smart people, maybe someone has an idea. Here’s an invite link: https://discord.gg/hgbDnBd

If nothing helps, your funds will indeed be lost. IOTA is a decentralised, distributed ledger, which means that it’s not owned by anybody. Being your own bank, without having to trust some middle man, is actually the purpose of this and that makes it very different from losing access to your bank account. You are the only person who has the key and if you lose it, there’s nobody else who could access your funds and return them to you.

When you buy IOTA (or any other crypto) again, make sure you have more than one backup of your seed. Don’t store it on your device or if you absolutely have to, at least use KeePass and also copy it on a piece of paper. Test if your backup works by checking if you get into the same account with the same addresses before you really start using your seed.

Best of luck, I hope that you'll find your seed!

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
neilwally
n
Thank you so much for the reply. I am going to try some of your suggestions. I logged into my old phone, but the old app basically wasn't working. i downloaded the latest version of it and it brought up a screen saying load trinity and back up seed. but the back up seed option there is no stored data.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search