Unable to fully recover missing iota

Author
ivosot
Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I managed to transfer my 590Mi to a new wallet by switching between there two hosts: http://88.198.230.98:14265 or http://176.9.3.149:14265 

Now I want to proceed with the actual reclaim tool. I added my old seed and the new one (the one with the 590Mi), but the proof transaction is still pending. I've been reattaching all day (1h in between), but the proof is still pending. Any fresh ideas on how to proceed with the reclaim tool?

p.s. I had one successful reclaim "Proof transaction confirmed", but I did it before I moved the 590Mi in a new wallet. What I'm trying to do is a second reclaim in a wallet different from the one I used in the first reclaim. I assumed the first reclaim would not be processed as the balance wasn't 0.
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017
I managed to transfer my 590Mi to a new wallet by switching between there two hosts: http://88.198.230.98:14265 or http://176.9.3.149:14265 

Now I want to proceed with the actual reclaim tool. I added my old seed and the new one (the one with the 590Mi), but the proof transaction is still pending. I've been reattaching all day (1h in between), but the proof is still pending. Any fresh ideas on how to proceed with the reclaim tool?

p.s. I had one successful reclaim "Proof transaction confirmed", but I did it before I moved the 590Mi in a new wallet. What I'm trying to do is a second reclaim in a wallet different from the one I used in the first reclaim. I assumed the first reclaim would not be processed as the balance wasn't 0.

@ivosot The only advice I've seen is to just continue reattaching and switching hosts. But I think only the first reclaim gets processed, and since you've already done that, you might actually already be done. There hasn't been a ton of guidance from the Foundation for these fringe situations
ivosot
ivosot
Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)
Winston - 8 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

@ivosot The only advice I've seen is to just continue reattaching and switching hosts. But I think only the first reclaim gets processed, and since you've already done that, you might actually already be done. There hasn't been a ton of guidance from the Foundation for these fringe situations

Winston, I managed to get "Proof transaction confirmed" after 20h of reattachments. Then I clicked "submit seed". After 5-6 reattachments due to the pending submission I got a BLACK screen. The wallet is stuck in a fully black screen with not a single letter on it. It's been stuck like that for an hour. Any advice on what to do?! I assume if I restart the wallet I will have to go through the reclaim tool from scratch. What would that mean for the confirmation I just had?

ivosot
ivosot
Scratch the last one. I just restarted the reclaim process. Luckily the proof transaction confirmation came straight away, so I got that out of the window. Now I'm stuck back in the pending reveal and reattaching. Hopefully I wont have to see the black screen again. 
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017
Scratch the last one. I just restarted the reclaim process. Luckily the proof transaction confirmation came straight away, so I got that out of the window. Now I'm stuck back in the pending reveal and reattaching. Hopefully I wont have to see the black screen again. 

@ivosot I think that confirming the proof transaction was the final step. The pending reveal that you see in the new seed's history won't be confirmed until the reclaim is processed. I could be wrong on that, but either way it wouldn't hurt to just wait and see if the Foundation returns your balance in next week's (hopefully) processed claims.
ivosot
ivosot

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

@ivosot I think that confirming the proof transaction was the final step. The pending reveal that you see in the new seed's history won't be confirmed until the reclaim is processed. I could be wrong on that, but either way it wouldn't hurt to just wait and see if the Foundation returns your balance in next week's (hopefully) processed claims.

Winston, upon checking the steps in the "Guide GUI Wallet" I found this:
15. Once loading is finished, you will see the message PROOF TRANSACTION CONFIRMED
16. Press SUBMIT SEED and wait
17. If it is pending to long, you can reattach each 10 -15 min aprox
18. You can try to change nodes/host during this process.
19. You will be able to get a new address, save it. You don ´t need to attach it to the Tangle for now.

From what I'm getting, I do have to wait for the reveal confirmation by reattaching and save the address I would be given once confirmed. I'm afraid the process might be incomplete if I don't. 
ivosot
ivosot

ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

15. Once loading is finished, you will see the message PROOF TRANSACTION CONFIRMED
19. You will be able to get a new address, save it. You don ´t need to attach it to the Tangle for now.

From what I'm getting, I do have to wait for the reveal confirmation by reattaching and save the address I would be given once confirmed. I'm afraid the process might be incomplete if I don't. 

Also I found in forums that it is important to save the new address I'd be given upon confirmation for the reveal as the missing tokens will be send there. The problem is that I can't get the reveal confirmation. I've been reattaching for 2 days now with no luck. I have also submitted in total 3 different reclaims in 2 different seeds, where I got a proof confirmation, but never got the reveal confirmation. Now I have no idea if I'm ever gonna get my missing tokens or in what address will they occur.
Winston
Winston
ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

Also I found in forums that it is important to save the new address I'd be given upon confirmation for the reveal as the missing tokens will be send there. The problem is that I can't get the reveal confirmation. I've been reattaching for 2 days now with no luck. I have also submitted in total 3 different reclaims in 2 different seeds, where I got a proof confirmation, but never got the reveal confirmation. Now I have no idea if I'm ever gonna get my missing tokens or in what address will they occur.

@ivosot True. It sounds like you'll want to do the reclaim process again then. Gotta get that address.
ivosot
ivosot

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

@ivosot True. It sounds like you'll want to do the reclaim process again then. Gotta get that address.

I finally managed to get the reveal confirmation and an address to which hopefully my missing iota will be sent. For newcomers to this post, this is the node that did it for me: http://145.239.6.55:14700

Overall it was a very long and painful process to complete the reclaim with a gadzillion reattachments on every stage of the reclaim process, but at the end I completed it. I still don't have my missing funds, but I'm filled with optimism that they will come back.

Special thanks to Winston and Taylor, who were very helpful and supportive along this painful ride!
Winston
Winston
ivosot - 10 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

I finally managed to get the reveal confirmation and an address to which hopefully my missing iota will be sent. For newcomers to this post, this is the node that did it for me: http://145.239.6.55:14700

Overall it was a very long and painful process to complete the reclaim with a gadzillion reattachments on every stage of the reclaim process, but at the end I completed it. I still don't have my missing funds, but I'm filled with optimism that they will come back.

Special thanks to Winston and Taylor, who were very helpful and supportive along this painful ride!

@ivosot Great! I know that was a brutal process, so thanks for you patience with me throughout. Hopefully the Foundation can start processing reclaims soon. Thanks for posting with a follow up to your situation
ivosot
ivosot
Hey Winston, I just have a couple of questions even though we kind of finished this topic. Sorry to bother you, but you seem to have answers for most of my questions.

1. I completed the reclaim process and now I have been waiting for 2 weeks for the missing tokens to be returned to my seed. Do you have any idea on how long I'll have to wait?
2. Also in the history of the new seed I used for the reclaim I can now see a pending transaction of 0, which I assume is the reclaim. The transaction looks different then the others as it has the highlighted letters "JF" before "Show Bundle" Should I be worried that it's 0 and not the missing 918Mi. (FSTPGTIARFLJBXHTJJZLHTGMG9YPPFPWIYILWEQZVGABVOFXHMMSSDVFHAOQRZJMXAZQATJAHKODKLTJWSVZRERBRW)
3. Should I start reattaching to the tangle to get it confirmed or just wait?

4. I heard there's gonna be a new snapshot happening and somehow we have to prepare. What worries me is that I still haven't recovered the damages from the last snapshot. Are my current and missing tokens threatened by the upcoming snapshot? Do you have any idea what would happen if the snapshot occurs before I have gotten back my missing tokens?

Thanks in advance Smile
Winston - 10 Dec 2017
ivosot - 10 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

ivosot - 9 Dec 2017

Winston - 9 Dec 2017
ivosot - 8 Dec 2017

@ivosot Great! I know that was a brutal process, so thanks for you patience with me throughout. Hopefully the Foundation can start processing reclaims soon. Thanks for posting with a follow up to your situation

Winston
Winston
@ivosot Thanks for the further questions.

1. No idea how long it'll take them. You can stay updated by following the pinned Reclaim Status thread in the General Discussion forum.
2. I would just sit tight and wait to see what happens when reclaims are processed. Worst case scenario is that you'll just need to reattach that transaction in order to end up reclaiming your balance. Nothing will be lost because of this, so no need to worry.
3. See #2 above.
4. See #2 above.

ivosot
ivosot
Taylor Allen - 7 Dec 2017
Hello @ivosot ,
You are totally right.
You need to empty the old seed before be able to use the reclaim tool.
Please try to use this host that was announced today by Dom: https://nodes.iota.cafe:443
Reattach again 1 time each hour.

Hey Taylor, it's been a while
Last time we spoke in December I managed to recover the missing iota following your steps with the reclaim tool. I decided to leave them waiting in the wallet and stopped following the situation.
Now I logged back in and yet again they were missing. I reattached to a bunch of nodes and I got 900 Mi back, but I'm still missing 1Gi. I reattached quite a few times more, but I don't seem to be getting them back. I checked a few threads on how to recover them, but I seem to be really fallen behind. Could you please give me a few clues on what has changed? Is the process any different from before? Any special nodes and settings I should be reattaching to? Should I try the reclaim tool again?

Kind Regards
Ivo
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
ivosot - 27 Jul 2018
Hello @ivosot ,
You are totally right.
Please try to use this host that was announced today by Dom: https://nodes.iota.cafe:443

Last time we spoke in December I managed to recover the missing iota following your steps with the reclaim tool. I decided to leave them waiting in the wallet and stopped following the situation.
Now I logged back in and yet again they were missing. I reattached to a bunch of nodes and I got 900 Mi back, but I'm still missing 1Gi. I reattached quite a few times more, but I don't seem to be getting them back. I checked a few threads on how to recover them, but I seem to be really fallen behind. Could you please give me a few clues on what has changed? Is the process any different from before? Any special nodes and settings I should be reattaching to? Should I try the reclaim tool again?

Kind Regards
Ivo

Hi Ivo,

welcome back! Smile
I haven’t seen Taylor around for a long time, so I’ll just take over with you if that’s ok.

I went through your previous posts and what I got so far is that in December you had around 1.5 Gi in total.
918.67 Mi had to be reclaimed and got returned to you on January 6th.
Those reclaimed funds and 10 more Miota you sent there on December 7th are now on „address 1“: 
https://thetangle.org/address/9BAOZFPANXISISFUWA9UWX9OQQHQYOGNFZGOSLPYSBRWYOZFFBAWFOKNDTIWXKWJEUHAYSDWGEMLXACXW

On December 8th, your sent the remaining 580 Miota from your old seed to „address 2“: 
https://thetangle.org/address/FCOWWHMZDRZAUEPE9AEUXKFPXKGNRIVSURZMOYTNVBIIFLCJCELTEMGEM9OSPQYQVYEHKGUSGAUEMTPZC

I see that you attached address 1 to the Tangle yesterday, so those 928.67 Mi should now show in your balance.
Unless you bought more IOTA than you had in December, you shouldn’t be missing 1 Gi now, but the 580 Mi from address 2.

The reclaim tool isn’t going to help this time. All your funds are still there and  all you have to do is to also attach address 2 to the Tangle.

If you saw your whole of 1.5 Gi balance when you logged in with your new seed after your reclaim was processed on January 6th, both addresses belong to the same seed. In that case, log in with the same seed as yesterday and generate and attach a few more addresses in the Receive Tab until your balance is complete.

If address 2 is from a different seed that you might have created in December, you need to log in with that other seed and then attach addresses until address 2 pops up.

Use the latest wallet version, which is currently 2.5.7. You can download it from here: https://github.com/iotaledger/wallet/releases
Other than that, there have been no significant changes.
Always make sure to connect to a synched node.
If you get „Connection Refused“ or „Request Error“ or something like that, change your node in Tools-> Edit Node Configuration.
Minimum Weight Magnitude is still at 14.

Please let us know how this went…

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
ivosot
ivosot
Alexa - 28 Jul 2018
ivosot - 27 Jul 2018
Hello @ivosot ,
You are totally right.

Kind Regards
Ivo

Hi Ivo,

welcome back! Smile
I haven’t seen Taylor around for a long time, so I’ll just take over with you if that’s ok.

I went through your previous posts and what I got so far is that in December you had around 1.5 Gi in total.
Those reclaimed funds and 10 more Miota you sent there on December 7th are now on „address 1“: 
https://thetangle.org/address/9BAOZFPANXISISFUWA9UWX9OQQHQYOGNFZGOSLPYSBRWYOZFFBAWFOKNDTIWXKWJEUHAYSDWGEMLXACXW

On December 8th, your sent the remaining 580 Miota from your old seed to „address 2“: 
https://thetangle.org/address/FCOWWHMZDRZAUEPE9AEUXKFPXKGNRIVSURZMOYTNVBIIFLCJCELTEMGEM9OSPQYQVYEHKGUSGAUEMTPZC

I see that you attached address 1 to the Tangle yesterday, so those 928.67 Mi should now show in your balance.
Unless you bought more IOTA than you had in December, you shouldn’t be missing 1 Gi now, but the 580 Mi from address 2.

The reclaim tool isn’t going to help this time. All your funds are still there and  all you have to do is to also attach address 2 to the Tangle.

If you saw your whole of 1.5 Gi balance when you logged in with your new seed after your reclaim was processed on January 6th, both addresses belong to the same seed. In that case, log in with the same seed as yesterday and generate and attach a few more addresses in the Receive Tab until your balance is complete.

If address 2 is from a different seed that you might have created in December, you need to log in with that other seed and then attach addresses until address 2 pops up.

Use the latest wallet version, which is currently 2.5.7. You can download it from here: https://github.com/iotaledger/wallet/releases
If you get „Connection Refused“ or „Request Error“ or something like that, change your node in Tools-> Edit Node Configuration.

Alexa, thank you so much for that quick respond and for the incredible detail in which you are helping.
I went through my records and you are right - In the final seed I used for my reclaim I had around 1.5 Gi and I was holding additional 0.4 Gi in a completely separate seed. I'm just going to keep reattaching until I get the missing 580 Mi.

Aside from that are there any other wallets worth exploring? I remember back in December people were working on an alternative wallet, but never heard anything from it.

Thanks Smile
Alexa
Alexa
ivosot - 28 Jul 2018
Alexa - 28 Jul 2018
ivosot - 27 Jul 2018
Hello @ivosot ,
You are totally right.

Kind Regards
Ivo

Hi Ivo,

welcome back! Smile

Alexa, thank you so much for that quick respond and for the incredible detail in which you are helping.
I went through my records and you are right - In the final seed I used for my reclaim I had around 1.5 Gi and I was holding additional 0.4 Gi in a completely separate seed. I'm just going to keep reattaching until I get the missing 580 Mi.

Aside from that are there any other wallets worth exploring? I remember back in December people were working on an alternative wallet, but never heard anything from it.

Thanks Smile

You're very welcome!
The new wallet is called Trinity and it's currently in public Beta for mobile.
The desktop version is on its way, too.
You can find all info important info here: https://trinity.iota.org/

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
cryptogodess
c
Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)
Hello,
After the snapshot on 9 of July I'm missing some of my funds and I can't figure any way of getting them back. After the snapshot I've created all the needed addresses and double-checked them, all are confirmed now but I still miss a part of my funds. It has happened before due to unconfirmed transactions (pending...) but this time all transactions are confirmed. 

Thank you for your help in advance! 

Alexa
Alexa
cryptogodess - 29 Jul 2018
Hello,
After the snapshot on 9 of July I'm missing some of my funds and I can't figure any way of getting them back. After the snapshot I've created all the needed addresses and double-checked them, all are confirmed now but I still miss a part of my funds. It has happened before due to unconfirmed transactions (pending...) but this time all transactions are confirmed. 

Thank you for your help in advance! 

Hi cryptogodess,
welcome to Hello IOTA!

Without any additional info my first guess would be that the node you are connected to is out of sync.
Please select a node from this list https://www.tangle-nodes.com/?sorts[load]=1&sorts[tls]=-1 and paste it as a Custom host node in Tools - Edit Node Configuration. 

Maybe generate and attach a few more addresses, just to be sure that you did it often enough. The attachments do not have to confirm, just don't bother with it.

You could also try the snapshot transition feature of Trinity if you want: https://trinity.iota.org

If it's still not correct, please post the addresses that should hold your balance so we can take a look at them on the tangle explorer.

Edited Last Year by Alexa
cryptogodess
c
Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (2 reputation)
Hello Alexa,

thanks for your reply. I've already tried different nodes and my balance was still incorrect. Now I've changed the node with one of the list and attached few more addresses and now my balance is correct! I thought I knew how the wallet was working... The new addresses that have been attached now are pending and have never been used by me...

Many thanks to you! 

Alexa
Alexa
cryptogodess - 30 Jul 2018
Hello Alexa,

thanks for your reply. I've already tried different nodes and my balance was still incorrect. Now I've changed the node with one of the list and attached few more addresses and now my balance is correct! I thought I knew how the wallet was working... The new addresses that have been attached now are pending and have never been used by me...

Many thanks to you! 

Awesome, I'm happy your funds appear now. Smile
You know, you might have used these 'new' addresses unconsciously. When you make a transaction and don't spend the whole balance on an address, the remainder gets send to the next empty address of you seed automatically and you wouldn't even notice. It's explained here: https://matthewwinstonjohnson.gitbooks.io/iota-guide-and-faq/how-addresses-work.html

You can just put these addresses into https://thetangle.org, see what balance each of them is holding and even backtrack via the bundle where the funds came from. Just try it, you can't break anything. Wink 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search