Unable to fully recover missing iota

Author
ivosot
posted 2 Years Ago
HELP
HOT
Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
I like many others have a problem recovering my missing IOTA. I invested in IOTA shortly after the release and a few weeks ago found my balance at 0.
I installed the latest wallet 2.5.4 and started re-attaching and generating new addresses. After 10-15 tries I managed to get back 590 MIOTA, which was my very first purchase. I kept repeating the process to recover the remaining 1,000 MIOTA, but had no success. I went through the reclaim tool and to my understanding now I just have to wait for the 590 MIOTA to appear in the new seed I used with the reclaim tool,  as well as the remaining 1,000 MIOTA which are missing. The one thing, which troubles me is that I am not sure if my missing IOTA is securely stored somewhere and if this is going to work?

Can anyone please help me?
HELP
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
ivosot - 29 Nov 2017
Hello,
I like many others have a problem recovering my missing IOTA. I invested in IOTA shortly after the release and a few weeks ago found my balance at 0.
I installed the latest wallet 2.5.4 and started re-attaching and generating new addresses. After 10-15 tries I managed to get back 590 MIOTA, which was my very first purchase. I kept repeating the process to recover the remaining 1,000 MIOTA, but had no success. I went through the reclaim tool and to my understanding now I just have to wait for the 590 MIOTA to appear in the new seed I used with the reclaim tool,  as well as the remaining 1,000 MIOTA which are missing. The one thing, which troubles me is that I am not sure if my missing IOTA is securely stored somewhere and if this is going to work?

Can anyone please help me?
@ivosot It sounds like you've done everything correctly. Remember that the amount that you reclaimed (it sounds like you completed the reclaim process successfully?) won't show up until the IOTA Foundation gets around to processing those reclaims. They haven't started doing that yet. You can follow their official updates in the 'Reclaim Status' thread that's pinned in the General Discussion forum here

ivosot
ivosot
Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)Attached to Tangle (318 reputation)
@Winston When I completed the reclaim process I did see a notification "Proof transaction confirmed", which makes me believe I have done it correctly. I am only feeling unsettled, because somehow I managed to recover 590 miota through re-attaching  & generating new addresses, yet the same didn't work for the remaining 1,000 miota that I'm missing. Hopefully when the Foundation starts processing the reclaims I will see my full balance in the new seed.

Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
ivosot - 30 Nov 2017
@Winston When I completed the reclaim process I did see a notification "Proof transaction confirmed", which makes me believe I have done it correctly. I am only feeling unsettled, because somehow I managed to recover 590 miota through re-attaching  & generating new addresses, yet the same didn't work for the remaining 1,000 miota that I'm missing. Hopefully when the Foundation starts processing the reclaims I will see my full balance in the new seed.

@ivosot A few tips that I can suggest:
1. You might want to consider moving the 590 Mi into a new seed. I'm not sure how 'partial' balance reclaims will work, but I think I remember Dom saying that you should make sure your non-reclaimed balance in that old seed is 0 before the reclaims are processed. (processing of reclaims hasn't started yet, so you're still safe as long as you send those 590 Mi to a new seed this week I guess)

2. You can follow the steps for phase 2 of the reclaim that are laid out at the bottom of the original post of the pinned thread at the top of this forum. It sounds like you've only done phase 1 of the reclaim process so far - again, not a big deal at all. Just make sure to finish phase 2 sometime soon.

As always, post here with specific questions. There's no need to worry, but I know this whole thing can be tough to maneuver at times.
ivosot
ivosot
@Winston Thanks for the fast response. I have just a few followup questions:

1. When I move the 590 Mi to a different seed and bring the balance to 0 should I go through the reclaim process all over again?

2. If so, should I reclaim it in a different seed from the one I used for the previous reclaim?

3. If I do use a different seed wouldn't that confuse the reclaim process, as I would have submitted a reclaims in 2 different seeds?

Thanks
Taylor Allen
Taylor Allen
Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)
ivosot - 1 Dec 2017
@Winston Thanks for the fast response. I have just a few followup questions:

1. When I move the 590 Mi to a different seed and bring the balance to 0 should I go through the reclaim process all over again?

2. If so, should I reclaim it in a different seed from the one I used for the previous reclaim?

3. If I do use a different seed wouldn't that confuse the reclaim process, as I would have submitted a reclaims in 2 different seeds?

Thanks

Hi @ivosot,
Allow me to introduce in your topic.
If you are confortable with scripts please run this one that will allow you to see all the addresses of your seed with balance. This way, you can check fast the addresses with funds and their category (AVAILABLE, KEY_REUSE or CURL_NOT_TRANSITIONED)
https://forum.helloiota.com/802/IOTA-Balance-Finder-Tool.
Regarding the reclaim process you can follow the guide attached. I hope it can help.

Attachments
Winston
Winston
@ivosot Just to follow up on what Taylor said:

Nope. You've completed the reclaim process, and the balance that's being reclaimed is in that same IOTA Foundation controlled address no matter what.

Nope. You've already completed the reclaim. I'm not even sure it's actually necessary to transfer that 590 Mi right now, like I mentioned, but it might be the smartest thing to do. Either way, your reclaimed balance will end up in your new seed.

Yep. No need to reclaim a second time.

Thanks for the questions.
Cryptofink
C
Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)
I have only ever done a single transaction into my wallet. It worked well and I could see my balance. Next time I looked it was gone. Since then I have spent over 12 hours of my time trying to find it. I have:
- downloaded light wallet version 2.5.4 - IRI 1.4.1.2
- re-attached to the tangle over 50 times
- followed link to addresses held by Foundation: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txtand
- found my address there: 
RWBYZDHTTSOSUOVIDNIYJSGAQZLDWAZXGSYAMEVQTGIY9G9EAFPUSGGKARLASGDTCCGJSKOUYQGOSRLAW; 1000000000; AVAILABLE
- Started the reclaim process - got all the messages saying it was a success including one saying that my IOTA was now available at a new and different address
- I have logged back into my new wallet with both my old and new seeds about a dozen times and .................NOTHING!
Please - what must I do??????????????????
Winston
Winston
Cryptofink - 1 Dec 2017
I have only ever done a single transaction into my wallet. It worked well and I could see my balance. Next time I looked it was gone. Since then I have spent over 12 hours of my time trying to find it. I have:
- followed link to addresses held by Foundation: https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txtand
RWBYZDHTTSOSUOVIDNIYJSGAQZLDWAZXGSYAMEVQTGIY9G9EAFPUSGGKARLASGDTCCGJSKOUYQGOSRLAW; 1000000000; AVAILABLE
- Started the reclaim process - got all the messages saying it was a success including one saying that my IOTA was now available at a new and different address
- I have logged back into my new wallet with both my old and new seeds about a dozen times and .................NOTHING!

@Cryptofink
Here are the instructions that pertain to your situation:
https://forum.helloiota.com/1587/Steps-if-your-balance-is-Available

It sounds like you're logging in with the wrong seed if you've generated that many addresses without seeing your balance pop up yet. Try typing the seed in manually and see if generating a few addresses works.
Cryptofink
C
Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (32 reputation)
Winston - 1 Dec 2017
Cryptofink - 1 Dec 2017

@Cryptofink
Here are the instructions that pertain to your situation:
https://forum.helloiota.com/1587/Steps-if-your-balance-is-Available

It sounds like you're logging in with the wrong seed if you've generated that many addresses without seeing your balance pop up yet. Try typing the seed in manually and see if generating a few addresses works.

Almost impossible to have put in incorrect seed. Suspicious that it happened at the same time everybody else's balances went missing!!!!!
Taylor Allen
Taylor Allen
Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)Forum Mod (3.3K reputation)
I just checked and your fund (1Gi) are still in your address.

https://thetangle.org/address/RWBYZDHTTSOSUOVIDNIYJSGAQZLDWAZXGSYAMEVQTGIY9G9EAFPUSGGKARLASGDTCCGJSKOUYQGOSRLAW

So you just need to keep regenerating addresses with the seed that you used to generate this addess (1 month and 2 weeks ago).

In this process I sugest you to logout the wallet and check if MWM is at 14, input curl at ccurl and insert manually the node (customize) http://node05.iotatoken.nl:16265

Save, login again and regenerate addresses.

If this won´t work, you are inputing the wrong seed as Winston said.Triple check your seed and enter it manually.

ivosot
ivosot
Guys thanks for the great response, but I need a little bit of more help and getting back my 1Gi:
I found a match for all of my addresses, which I used for my transactions in the Sept Snapshot list (https://ipfs.io/ipfs/Qmeb4B5AEi5MWTreKPRtufBFRFWRVTpZkBpX6FeaXCAe3B). All of the addresses had "category":"NONE"}, behind them. I don't understand what that means. I found the missing iota in this address UMAWQEIGMQKGUZQYPDMGDGQAWITFGESMJKFFARULMOFYIWABZBKOLYSJM9QPOOIIYCNVAZNAPPYJJFQYB

I searched for this address in thetangle.org and it shows that the transactions were confirmed yet the balance is 0. Here is a link https://thetangle.org/address/UMAWQEIGMQKGUZQYPDMGDGQAWITFGESMJKFFARULMOFYIWABZBKOLYSJM9QPOOIIYCNVAZNAPPYJJFQYB

Can someone please tell me what does all of this mean and how can I recover this iota. I recovered my previous transactions by creating a lot of new addresses, but this transaction is not coming back to my wallet. I went through the reclaim tool after that and I'm not sure if I've done everything correctly. I submitted a new seed and my old seed. I'm not sure if I should've submitted the address with the missing iota or my actual seed.
Winston
Winston
ivosot - 5 Dec 2017
Guys thanks for the great response, but I need a little bit of more help and getting back my 1Gi:
I found a match for all of my addresses, which I used for my transactions in the Sept Snapshot list (https://ipfs.io/ipfs/Qmeb4B5AEi5MWTreKPRtufBFRFWRVTpZkBpX6FeaXCAe3B). All of the addresses had "category":"NONE"}, behind them. I don't understand what that means. I found the missing iota in this address UMAWQEIGMQKGUZQYPDMGDGQAWITFGESMJKFFARULMOFYIWABZBKOLYSJM9QPOOIIYCNVAZNAPPYJJFQYB

I searched for this address in thetangle.org and it shows that the transactions were confirmed yet the balance is 0. Here is a link https://thetangle.org/address/UMAWQEIGMQKGUZQYPDMGDGQAWITFGESMJKFFARULMOFYIWABZBKOLYSJM9QPOOIIYCNVAZNAPPYJJFQYB

Can someone please tell me what does all of this mean and how can I recover this iota. I recovered my previous transactions by creating a lot of new addresses, but this transaction is not coming back to my wallet. I went through the reclaim tool after that and I'm not sure if I've done everything correctly. I submitted a new seed and my old seed. I'm not sure if I should've submitted the address with the missing iota or my actual seed.

@ivosot Thanks for the post - you've come to the right place!
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/cyclux/2bb05d873c4ec6115cad1d100263d489/raw/612a49e46091586957448f6606ea981ab18022e7/snapshot_validation_20171023.txt
UMAWQEIGMQKGUZQYPDMGDGQAWITFGESMJKFFARULMOFYIWABZBKOLYSJM9QPOOIIYCNVAZNAPPYJJFQYB; 918670000; KEY_REUSE_OCT

Your balance is marked as KEY_REUSE. This means that you need to complete the reclaim process. There should be plenty of instructions for doing that floating around here, but let us know if you have any specific questions.
ivosot
ivosot
@Winston you advised me to move my 590Mi to a new seed, so I can proceed with the reclaim tool. I created a new seed and tried sending 10Mi just as a test run, but the transaction is pending for 24h now. I tried reattaching and rebroadcasting, but had no positive results. Without me being able to send 10Mi to a new seed I can't send the rest and reclaim the old seed. Any advice?
Winston
Winston
ivosot - 6 Dec 2017
@Winston you advised me to move my 590Mi to a new seed, so I can proceed with the reclaim tool. I created a new seed and tried sending 10Mi just as a test run, but the transaction is pending for 24h now. I tried reattaching and rebroadcasting, but had no positive results. Without me being able to send 10Mi to a new seed I can't send the rest and reclaim the old seed. Any advice?

@ivosot Hm. Let's try to get that pending transaction confirmed first. Reattaching and switching hosts a few times per day should get it confirmed by the end of the week. And then you can reclaim I guess?
ivosot
ivosot
Just to clarify, do I keep reattaching the seed in the "receive page" of the wallet or do I keep reattaching the pending transaction in "history". Also every time I reattach the pending transaction I see a new pending transaction in "history". So far I already have 4 pending ones for the same 10Mi. 

When I change the host should I change the other parameters? I'm using 14 Min Weight Magnitude and Webgl 2 Curl implementation.
Taylor Allen
Taylor Allen
ivosot - 6 Dec 2017
Just to clarify, do I keep reattaching the seed in the "receive page" of the wallet or do I keep reattaching the pending transaction in "history". Also every time I reattach the pending transaction I see a new pending transaction in "history". So far I already have 4 pending ones for the same 10Mi. 

When I change the host should I change the other parameters? I'm using 14 Min Weight Magnitude and Webgl 2 Curl implementation.

Hello @ivosot
You should keep reattaching the pending transaction in history.
Try this:
Before login in the wallet with your seed adjust the wallet to these settings
-    Check if MWM is at 14
-    If the curl implementation is at webgl2 change it to ccurl
-    Choose one of these hosts http://88.198.230.98:14265 or http://176.9.3.149:14265
-    Save these settings
-    Reattach the pending transaction each 1 hour.

ivosot
ivosot
Thanks, I’ll try that. I didn’t know I have to wait an hour between reattachments so I’ve been reattaching one after another. Hopefully I haven’t made it harder.
ivosot
ivosot
Hey Guys,

I have the feeling that my problem keeps getting bigger and I get further and further from fixing it.

Here is what happened:

After I found my balance at 0 some time ago I reattached almost 30 times and got back 590Mi, but was still missing almost 1Gi. Here is the transaction containing the missing iota: UMAWQEIGMQKGUZQYPDMGDGQAWITFGESMJKFFARULMOFYIWABZBKOLYSJM9QPOOIIYCNVAZNAPPYJJFQYBXMLPSKTFA

I created a second seed and went through the reclaim process, but then I found out from Winston that my balance should’ve been 0 before reclaiming.

I created a third seed, because I thought I used a doggy seed generator for the second one and decided to send 10Mi to the 3rd one, before I send the full 590Mi

Ever since the 10Mi is stuck into “pending”. As far as I understand if I don’t complete the 10Mi transaction I can’t send the rest. And if I don’t send the rest I won’t be able to reclaim.

I’ve been switching between different hosts and reattaching this 10Mi transaction (9BAOZFPANXISISFUWA9UWX9OQQHQYOGNFZGOSLPYSBRWYOZFFBAWFOKNDTIWXKWJEUHAYSDWGEMLXACXWQIHHLDNQZ), with an hour in between as advised by Taylor. The transaction is not confirming and every time I reattach I creating a new pending transaction, with the same address.

So far I have 1 seed with 590Mi + my missing 1Gi, a second seed, which I used for the reclaim, as well as a third seed, to which I sent the 10Mi from my first seed.

Can anyone advice my on how to properly move the 590Mi into a new seed and reclaim again properly? Also do I have a deadline, which will make me loose the missing 1Gi?
Taylor Allen
Taylor Allen
Hello @ivosot ,
You are totally right.
You need to empty the old seed before be able to use the reclaim tool.
Please try to use this host that was announced today by Dom: https://nodes.iota.cafe:443
Reattach again 1 time each hour.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search