Does the GUI wallet automatically take care of generating new adresses when you take iotas out of...

Does the GUI wallet automatically take care of generating new adresses...
Author
f
Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I heard that it is important to never use the same address when taking iotas out of your wallet. I think I read somewhere that the GUI wallet takes care of this automatically, is it true? Do I have to do anything in particular for my iotas to be safe?

Thank you a lot!
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
@frs In short, no. You'll want to make sure that you're very familiar with how addresses work in order to avoid accidentally reusing one and losing your balance.

Everything to know about address reuse: (and how to avoid losing your funds!)
https://forum.helloiota.com/996/IOTA-Address-Reuse-Explained-for-Laymen
https://kb.helloiota.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50015.aspx
https://forum.helloiota.com/975/Address-Reuse-Discussion
frs
f
Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (37 reputation)
Thanks a lot! Smile
frs
f
Winston - 29 Nov 2017
@frs In short, no. You'll want to make sure that you're very familiar with how addresses work in order to avoid accidentally reusing one and losing your balance.

Everything to know about address reuse: (and how to avoid losing your funds!)
https://forum.helloiota.com/996/IOTA-Address-Reuse-Explained-for-Laymen
https://kb.helloiota.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50015.aspx
https://forum.helloiota.com/975/Address-Reuse-Discussion

I read all 3 links but I am still a bit confused since in the second one they say:

Perhaps you are now wondering “What if I make a payment to someone; do I need to worry about the safety of the rest of my IOTA?”

The answer would be, "No, the wallet takes care of everything, and your tokens remain absolutely safe."

So when I make a payment out of my wallet, the remaining iotas are moved automatically to another adress without me having to worry about it? Sorry to bother you, I am very new to Iota but I think it has amazing potential and just bought 400Mi last week Smile

frs
f
And so the dangerous thing to do would be to go in my transaction history, find an old adress and send iotasto it right? Thank you
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
@frs
'So when I make a payment out of my wallet, the remaining iotas are moved automatically to another adress without me having to worry about it?'
Your entire description in that comment is correct, and your statement here is correct as well. You fully understand the concept.

'Sorry to bother you'
No need to be sorry! Haha. This forum is for asking questions. Welcome to the project Smile

'And so the dangerous thing to do would be to go in my transaction history, find an old adress and send iotasto it right?'
Exactly. And the real danger is after snapshots when the wallet forgets all of its history, people generate and use the first address again (since they don't see that the balance is actually in their 8th address, and they've already used the first 7 addresses in the past!). Attackers can watch for this and steal funds from these reused addresses.

frs
f
Thank you very much!

So after a snapshot, I have to generate as many "new adresses" as I have made transactions until my balance is the correct one (the balance after the last iota sending)? 

How do we know a snapshot was made? You just notice that the balance is incorrect?

Thank you again Smile this truly is a great project!
Winston
Winston
So after a snapshot, I have to generate as many "new adresses" as I have made transactions until my balance is the correct one (the balance after the last iota sending)?
Yes. 

How do we know a snapshot was made? You just notice that the balance is incorrect?
The IOTA Foundation announces when snapshots are made, but you're correct in saying that you would also notice an incorrect balance (if your balance was not in the index 1 address. Note that if your balance was in the index 1 address, you wouldn't have to worry about address reuse since you wouldn't have spent anything from that wallet yet anyway, by definition.).

Thanks for these great questions! @frs
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search