Does it make sense or no-sense

Author
E
IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Amendment to the discussion in “discord.tanglemath”

Consider the figure:
I think this is a legitimate tangle, seen by a node. If transactions B, and E have the same receiver address, it is illogical to argue that one can decide which one contains the end balance of the address. Any confirmation from here on will be based on uncertainty. Is any other interpretation possible?
der-Daniel
d
Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (1 reputation)
At this point it is not decided yet.
The tangle may grow from either tip A or tip C exclusivity (like from the genesis tx) by linking the same tx two times.

Enis Olgac
E
IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)IOTAn Pending (1.2K reputation)
der-Daniel - 21 Aug 2018
At this point it is not decided yet.
The tangle may grow from either tip A or tip C exclusivity (like from the genesis tx) by linking the same tx two times.

Looks like that the point I was trying to make was not clear enough. Doesn’t matter at all, because it became obsolete anyway.
I have been told that transactions do not carry end balance, instead the balance is kept in a database (hopefully a distributed one) accessible from any transaction. Besides that, there is another requirement, which may not be well known. Here is the statement:
“You can always send to an address regardless. If you want to spend from it then you must be referencing the transaction that supplied it either directly or indirectly”
I assume address in this context means an account (seed) and “referencing” means both transactions, spending and supplying, must be on the same path in tangle. Consequently “random walk for tip selection” along tangle, cannot be as random as random should be. Simply because eligible tips for one leg of the transaction is a subset of all available.
Even if, since simultaneous supply to, and spending from an account cannot be ruled out, it is not possible to obtain an ordered supply-spending chain. Nevertheless, a ledger is (by definition) about such a chain, but it is not new that tangle is not a ledger as consensus definition of a ledger would advice. A design patch (workaround, if you want to) is described in https://github.com/iotaledger/iri/issues/912, which after all is an allowance of spending on credit.

Edited 4 Months Ago by Enis Olgac
Enis Olgac
E
Sound of silence
could be very loud, at least from time to time. In my last post on Medium (here is a copy) 
Uncertain End-balance,

Besides the fact that it is not possible to calculate the end-balance of an account (address, seed) using Tangle, the question arises, whether this is necessary in the first place. During the discussion (in “discord/#tanglemath”) I mentioned in my earlier post, it was said that the end-balance of an account is kept in a database, which keeps all accounts as well as Tangle. It was also implied that as soon as a transaction is attached to Tangle the end-balances of spending and receiving transactions are updated. Consequences:

During this action at latest, the validity of a transaction must have been decided. If one cannot be sure about the validity of the source of information, how much worth is the resulting balance then?
  It is certain that the validity of end-balance of an account cannot be decided using Tangle. End‑balance means the balance after applying the last transaction, which in turn requires that the transactions must been time‑ordered. Otherwise the term “last” does not make sense.
  If the end-balance is not decidable, how can the validity of a transaction be decidable which is based on it, i.e. the amount of resources kept in the accounts end-balance at the point in time when the transaction is issued.

So why not to be happy with the end-balance which is kept in the database. If the last attached transaction was not honest (valid), so be it. Is this any worse than a “may be” end‑balance?

I am really anxious about Clara’s arguments for or against. I will also be thankful for any clarification, in case I am missing something.

I asked whether it makes sense to seek  validity of a transaction in the Tangle. I hoped @Clara
 would give a sound answer.

Am I having a serious flaw in my logic (common sense), or is there a hidden joke, which I can not understand?

Edited 2 Months Ago by Enis Olgac
Enis Olgac
E
A Small Case Study

Would you like to read about an approach which makes sense, and complies with the notion of "ledger"
Warning: I am the author, so this opinion may be biased

Here is your link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329029921_DAGs_Ledgers_and_Distributed_Ledger_Technology

Enjoy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search