Error! Private Key Reuse Detected! How to unblock your funds

Author
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Discord user "HBMY289" just published an awesome guide on Medium and he allowed me to share it with the Hello IOTA Forum community.
It's really worth the time to read both parts!
part 1: https://medium.com/coinmonks/private-key-reuse-detected-what-it-means-and-how-to-unblock-your-funds-383eeb8ca036
part 2: https://medium.com/coinmonks/private-key-reuse-detected-how-to-unblock-your-funds-3d75d182bbf7

Please keep in mind though that forcing a private key reuse by using the Command Line Interface (CLI) might put your funds at risk and should always be seen as last resort. Any other options should be considered first.

If you have any general questions, you can post them here or go check out IOTA's Discord #help channel.
That is also the place where you can find HBMY289 and other helpful community members if you need real-time assistance.
Here's an invite link: https://discord.gg/hgbDnBd

Thank you, HBMY289! Smile

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Alexa
Alexa
HBMY289 released a follow-up article about how to move funds from a used address in certain cases without having to use the CLI app: 
Link: How to move iotas from a used address by reattaching old bundles.

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Edited Last Year by Alexa
Research
R
Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)Attached to Tangle (276 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,
i´m not sure what to do now!
Situation:
I wanted to send some Miota´s to my Bitfinex account, so i send some my Bitfinex adress. I was a bit impatient and in my inexperience, i tried it a few times (4), without waiting for the confirmation of the transactions. The display shows invalid response, so i changed the Node (a few times), and reatached the transactions. Now i got 8 unconfirmed transactions, a ERRORTongueRIVATE KEY REUSE DETECTED report. When i try to reatache the transaction it shows "invalid response".

I generated a new Seed and tried to send 1 Iota, but: ERRORTongueRIVATE KEY REUSE DETECTED .

So what i have to do now to save my Miota´s?
Thanks for helping me!

Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Research - 8 Jul 2018
Hello,
Situation:
I wanted to send some Miota´s to my Bitfinex account, so i send some my Bitfinex adress. I was a bit impatient and in my inexperience, i tried it a few times (4), without waiting for the confirmation of the transactions. The display shows invalid response, so i changed the Node (a few times), and reatached the transactions. Now i got 8 unconfirmed transactions, a ERRORTongueRIVATE KEY REUSE DETECTED report. When i try to reatache the transaction it shows "invalid response".

I generated a new Seed and tried to send 1 Iota, but: ERRORTongueRIVATE KEY REUSE DETECTED .

Thanks for helping me!

@Research
Thanks for the post, and welcome to the forum.

Since you have a previous pending outgoing transaction, you won't be able to send a new transaction until the last one has gotten confirmation. Reattach the last "pending" transaction a few times per day until it finally gets confirmed.

gootbuy
g
Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)Attached to Tangle (213 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Research - 8 Jul 2018
Hello,
Situation:

Thanks for helping me!

hello sorry I have the same problem and maybe you already solved this case
a ERRORTongueRIVATE KEY REUSE DETECTED report. When i try to reatache the transaction it shows "invalid response".

Thanks for helping me!
Alexa
Alexa
gootbuy - 10 Jul 2018
Research - 8 Jul 2018
Hello,
Situation:

Thanks for helping me!

hello sorry I have the same problem and maybe you already solved this case
a ERRORTongueRIVATE KEY REUSE DETECTED report. When i try to reatache the transaction it shows "invalid response".

Thanks for helping me!

Hi @gootbuy,
welcome to Hello IOTA!

"Research" told me via PM that he fixed his issue by reattaching his pending transaction until it confirmed.

The Private Key Reuse Error is caused by either a pending transaction or by funds on an address of yours which has already been used for sending before. You'll have to find out which one it is in your case and the articles I linked in the OP are a pretty good step-by-step guide.

Please let us know at which point you get stuck or if you have any other questions!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search