I think my coins have been stolen

Author
C
Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think my coins have been stolen from my iota lite wallet, it certainly looks like it shows them going out. I only created the wallet recently it was 2.5.7? is this something had has happened a lot, I had 10129 my buy price was 1.09. any advice please?
HELP
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018
I think my coins have been stolen from my iota lite wallet, it certainly looks like it shows them going out. I only created the wallet recently it was 2.5.7? is this something had has happened a lot, I had 10129 my buy price was 1.09. any advice please?
 If there's an outgoing transaction that you did not make, unfortunately this means that your funds are now gone. Of course it's impossible for an outside observer like me to make this call unless I can look at the specific transaction on a tangle explorer.

There are many potential reasons that could lead to this situation, but the main one is a poorly or insecurely created seed. How did you generate your seed?
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018

Hi Craig,
welcome to HelloIOTA!

Can you give us the transaction hash of that outgoing transaction, so we can have a look at it?
A lot of thefts happened since end of January, mostly because people used some malicious website to generate their seeds.
You can read more about it here: https://medium.com/iota-demystified/what-happened-last-night-on-iota-b6157ade1e03
Can you remember how you created your seed?

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Craig'O
C
Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (28 reputation)
Alexa - 2 Jun 2018
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018

Hi Craig,
welcome to HelloIOTA!

Can you give us the transaction hash of that outgoing transaction, so we can have a look at it?
A lot of thefts happened since end of January, mostly because people used some malicious website to generate their seeds.
You can read more about it here: https://medium.com/iota-demystified/what-happened-last-night-on-iota-b6157ade1e03

Hi Alexa, this is the transaction hash VDS9ODLYDYQRCAKDMXQIRPKROFIVXATXDZXXLMNQKZTLMQRLQWQEJNYSW9SJGNY9YFEIQPPBEM9KFXZ9WPPLRZOMHA
I used this website to generate the seed www.iotagenerator.info, I did, however, change 15 letters so that is why I am confused, but I know now the site was the wrong way to go about, I have tried to report them to the company they got the domain from. I am also very annoyed with IOTA, I followed the link from their website to the download for the wallet and there were no warnings. event when I downloaded it there was no warnings. thanks for your help Craig
Craig'O
C
Winston - 2 Jun 2018
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018
 If there's an outgoing transaction that you did not make, unfortunately this means that your funds are now gone. Of course it's impossible for an outside observer like me to make this call unless I can look at the specific transaction on a tangle explorer.

There are many potential reasons that could lead to this situation, but the main one is a poorly or insecurely created seed. How did you generate your seed?

Winston - 2 Jun 2018
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018

this is the outgoing transaction VDS9ODLYDYQRCAKDMXQIRPKROFIVXATXDZXXLMNQKZTLMQRLQWQEJNYSW9SJGNY9YFEIQPPBEM9KFXZ9WPPLRZOMHA

is there no way of tracking them?

thanks Craig
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Craig'O - 5 Jun 2018
Alexa - 2 Jun 2018
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018

Hi Craig,
welcome to HelloIOTA!

Hi Alexa, this is the transaction hash VDS9ODLYDYQRCAKDMXQIRPKROFIVXATXDZXXLMNQKZTLMQRLQWQEJNYSW9SJGNY9YFEIQPPBEM9KFXZ9WPPLRZOMHA
I used this website to generate the seed www.iotagenerator.info, I did, however, change 15 letters so that is why I am confused, but I know now the site was the wrong way to go about, I have tried to report them to the company they got the domain from. I am also very annoyed with IOTA, I followed the link from their website to the download for the wallet and there were no warnings. event when I downloaded it there was no warnings. thanks for your help Craig

Hi Craig,

the bundle that is connected to the address you’ve posted shows that two of your addresses were affected: https://thetangle.org/bundle/FJVR9B9R9OWFHAHNKBXSYGJKYVBEZPFBEQAAFKNBKIDUJJDIOZYQWIXJI9ENJRDANLLLQVJA9PWUAWHXD
Therefore, it’s pretty clear that whoever made the transaction had access to your seed.
If it wasn’t you, it was most likely the creator of that generator website you’ve used.

I agree with you that a warning in the Lightwallet to not use any online generators could have probably prevented this from happening.
But I think the Foundation considers it common sense not to create a seed (or any „password“) on some website. Even more so after the January thefts had been discussed pretty much everywhere and they made a blogpost about how to properly create a seed:
https://blog.iota.org/the-secret-to-security-is-secrecy-d32b5b7f25ef

The new Trinity wallet will have a built in seed generator to prevent these things. I know this won’t help you though.

You can track where your funds are going to be transferred to on thetangle.org, but it will become very difficult once they get split into smaller portions and distributed over several addresses (which is what usually happens to stolen coins sooner or later). Tracking your funds also won’t help you that much, I guess. Even if you know which address they are at, you’ll never know whose address it is.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do now, except file a claim with your local (cybercrime) police and hope that the thief gets caught. 
If this ever happens, you’ll have to provide proof that those stolen coins belong to you. Even if you don't want to involve the police, please make sure to keep your seed and all evidence of where your bought your coins from and where you sent them to afterwards (for example safe your trade history and your withdrawal history from your Bitfinex account or wherever you purchased your coins). 

I'm very sorry that you've lost your funds! 

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Craig'O
C
Alexa - 5 Jun 2018
Craig'O - 5 Jun 2018
Alexa - 2 Jun 2018
Craig'O - 2 Jun 2018

Hi Craig,
welcome to HelloIOTA!

Hi Craig,

the bundle that is connected to the address you’ve posted shows that two of your addresses were affected: https://thetangle.org/bundle/FJVR9B9R9OWFHAHNKBXSYGJKYVBEZPFBEQAAFKNBKIDUJJDIOZYQWIXJI9ENJRDANLLLQVJA9PWUAWHXD
Therefore, it’s pretty clear that whoever made the transaction had access to your seed.
If it wasn’t you, it was most likely the creator of that generator website you’ve used.

I agree with you that a warning in the Lightwallet to not use any online generators could have probably prevented this from happening.
But I think the Foundation considers it common sense not to create a seed (or any „password“) on some website. Even more so after the January thefts had been discussed pretty much everywhere and they made a blogpost about how to properly create a seed:
https://blog.iota.org/the-secret-to-security-is-secrecy-d32b5b7f25ef

The new Trinity wallet will have a built in seed generator to prevent these things. I know this won’t help you though.

You can track where your funds are going to be transferred to on thetangle.org, but it will become very difficult once they get split into smaller portions and distributed over several addresses (which is what usually happens to stolen coins sooner or later). Tracking your funds also won’t help you that much, I guess. Even if you know which address they are at, you’ll never know whose address it is.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do now, except file a claim with your local (cybercrime) police and hope that the thief gets caught. 
If this ever happens, you’ll have to provide proof that those stolen coins belong to you. Even if you don't want to involve the police, please make sure to keep your seed and all evidence of where your bought your coins from and where you sent them to afterwards (for example safe your trade history and your withdrawal history from your Bitfinex account or wherever you purchased your coins). 

I'm very sorry that you've lost your funds! 

thank you for your kind post. rgds Craig
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search