Funds disapeared

Author
P
Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I have an Iota wallet. I looked at it today and saw this.. What has happened. I never made a payment to anyone Although I did try about a month ago to send a payment to a person beside me. ( I was showing them iota.) But those transactions got rejected although I cant remember the exact term that iota used used.

Where have my funds gone.. How can I get them back..

Possum
P
Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (72 reputation)
Oh god I think I found out what happened... I installed a desktop app (Linux) then sent 10.5 Iota over too it. But nothing arrived. That was weekss ago. Then 3 days ago the funds transfered. But I though the transfer didn't happen and discarded the seed for that wallet as my balance in my Android wallet were good.

Hmmmm

Well that what I think happened. But I want to research this.

I am recommending Iota to lots of people and what to know their iota will be secure....

Its a learning process. .But fun...

Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @Possum,

thanks for your posts!
I like your attitude! Learning is important, especially in Cryptoland! Smile

But it's very hard for us to tell what has happened when we can't see the actual transaction.
Could you give us a transaction hash or an address to look at on the tangle explorer?

In general, transactions don't get rejected. They either confirm or they don't and stay pending. They also can't be canceled.
I can imagine that the transfer you attempted didn't confirm within a reasonable timeframe and since you might not have actively reattached and promoted it, it just stayed pending for the time being.
But while one transaction is pending, the lightwallet won't allow you to send another one in order to protect your funds from private key reuse.

I think that previous snapshots just erased all pending transactions from the tangle. But those transactions would still have had half of the sending-addresses's private key revealed. When user's sent again afterwards, the security of the sending address would have been reduced. 
Maybe it's been decided for the snapshot that happened last weekend to get pending transactions confirmed now instead of erasing them to improve security.

But that's just a guess. A look at your transaction or address might show something else. 

Alexa

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Possum
P
Sorry for the late reply I needed to learn how to answer your request..

I found this

https://thetangle.org/address/YDVFSNTQXQC9XSXOVRCQUOWNSANEPOVZWGWQYGLCKD9CAPEXGVUSOHRBHKEACXNNSDEHUZQCSVICSLOUZ

I just don't have the absolute memory of sending these coins. But I must have,,,,

I wonder where they are?

Alexa
Alexa
@Possum

Thanks for the link!
Let's take a look at the outgoing transfer from April 30th: 
https://thetangle.org/bundle/RFPZDELZIV9QFZHSFHECKTYRNZAPOFBFOVSDCWKGHFQPTHJSHWI9HZTSYKTJDUBTTHLZTDQJXZAQBYRH9
We can see that 1i was sent somewhere, and the remaining balance got sent to another address that should belong to your seed: 
https://thetangle.org/address/EOPKRPBNXESWNYZCGOHVOLRBFY9FTGVXTGOPHUQTWFVWEAXXHCRQXZASNVQYVFOISAQ9IBSWJEWKW9JGD
Your funds are still on that address.
Do you remember making this transaction for 1i?
Can you see it in the addresses-list in your wallet?

I'm not familiar with the Android wallet. But you can use the same seed for the lightwallet.
Download version 2.5.7 from here: https://github.com/iotaledger/wallet/releases
Go to "Tools" -> "Edit Node Configuration" -> choose "Custom" from the Host dropdown menu -> paste  http://nodes.iota.fm:80  into the empty field -> click "Save" and then log in with your seed.

You should then see both addresses, YDVFS... and EOPKR...., in your list of addresses in the "History"-Tab and your balance should be ok again. If you don't see any addresses immediately, go to the "Receive"-Tab and generate and attach some addresses until they both appear.

Please let us know how this went...

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Possum
P
My funds are back...Thank you so much.....

I do remember sending the 1 i. it did turn up on another seed address

Fantastic... I would love to send you 1 Mi. This would be my first Iota transaction. I so need to get to use Iota. Can You send me a receive address..

I know 1 Mi isn't much but I need to get a feel for using Iota.. And follow it on the Tangle...

Once again.. Thank you so much for your help. It wasn't the $ value I cared about.. It was the mysterious loss .

Alexa
Alexa
Hey @Possum!

I'm happy that you found your "mysteriously" lost funds again! Smile
I can't explain why you had 0 Balance on your Android App.
It showed the transaction apparently, but not the correct balance, which is a bit weird.... 
However, I would strongly advice not to use that Android App for any serious amount.
Even if it's an "official" App (can't tell from the screenshot, never used it), it would still be Beta software.
Better wait for Trinity, it shouldn't be long now!

As we now know, your first transaction happened already ;-). For your second one, I'd like you to have a good start.
- I can see that you're not using the latest wallet version, so you should update to 2.6.7 first. 
- Go to „Tools“ -> „Edit Node Configuration“, keep the iota.fm node from before, but set Min Weight Magnitude to 14 and try CCurl as your Curl Implementation first. It'S just faster for most people. 
- If you want to send me a test amount (which can be just some IOTA, doesn't have to be millions of it!), you can use this address:
QJZDEUAMDLMLAYVNVJHL9EMAADVVSBMJSDJAFHNMCETUHOMYWIUYAFMXSSSDQFA9OGQGPDHMI99QSIFBXUVNEOVRTB
Check it on https://thetangle.org/ to see what's happening when you send.
It has some balance already from a nice redditor's donation, but it has never been used for sending, so that's fine.

The Tangle seems to be slow these days, so it makes a lot of sense to promote your transaction right after sending and reattach it if it hasn't been confirmed after 30 minutes. Promote the reattach. Repeat until confirmed.... 
You find the Promote button (which will change to Reattach after a while) when you go to the History tab and click "show bundle" on your send transaction. You can also copy the bundle or transaction hashes into thetangle.org to look them up. You'll see they're all connected somehow. 

Have fun with your second transaction!
And let me know it you want me to send your coins back, so you can test how to receive too. Smile

Alexa  

Possum
P
Sorry: My funds disappeared again... Just as I was going to experiment and send you an iota...

I do believe iota is the answer. But it doesn't seem usable right now. I was sending Bitcoins around the net years ago until fees killed it off.

I will keep in-touch when I sort all this out...

Alexa
Alexa
Possum - 27 May 2018
Sorry: My funds disappeared again... Just as I was going to experiment and send you an iota...

I do believe iota is the answer. But it doesn't seem usable right now. I was sending Bitcoins around the net years ago until fees killed it off.

I will keep in-touch when I sort all this out...

Hey @Possum,
whenever funds seem to "disappear", even though there was no snapshot that would have caused this and you can still see your balance on the tangle explorer, it's always a good idea to change the node.
Every node can fall out of sync sometimes or be offline for some reason. Just try another node and it should be fine again.
IOTA is still being developed and what we're playing with right now will likely not be the final version. We can expect things to improve over time. Smile
If you want to send a test amount here's a different address (my other one has been used in the meantime):
OTZFAHA9JBJWQGSMDVLDGTRHIANWJLJTASNGXMBGUCCLCPAIRFGWWXZICVVDBJKEAOUHQNZQB9ALXIHZ9THBZDUAVW

Possum
P
Hey  Alexa,

I'm the person who keeps on loosing his balance. Well I got them back again.. ref.  lost balance

I've got the Trinity wallet installed on my S7.

I'm sorry for all my attempts to send you an iota. But can you give me another chance and send me a fresh receive address again so I can try again to send you an iota

Thx for everything

Alexa
Alexa
Possum - 3 Jul 2018
Hey  Alexa,

I'm the person who keeps on loosing his balance. Well I got them back again.. ref.  lost balance

I've got the Trinity wallet installed on my S7.

I'm sorry for all my attempts to send you an iota. But can you give me another chance and send me a fresh receive address again so I can try again to send you an iota

Thx for everything

Hi @Possum,
as long as you always find your balance again, it's all good. Smile
You don't really loose it either, sometimes it just doesn't get displayed correctly in your wallet. But it's always on your address on the Tangle. 
You can still use this address, it's not been used for sending yet:
OTZFAHA9JBJWQGSMDVLDGTRHIANWJLJTASNGXMBGUCCLCPAIRFGWWXZICVVDBJKEAOUHQNZQB9ALXIHZ9THBZDUAVW

Possum
P
Wow... I think I've done it this time..   Please let me know when you receive....

Thank You so much.....

Alexa
Alexa
Possum - 3 Jul 2018
Wow... I think I've done it this time..   Please let me know when you receive....

Thank You so much.....

Good morning, @Possum Smile
The transaction was confirmed when I woke up, I just slept through it all...
If you're up for some more testing, you can just shoot me a DM on Discord, so we can have a real time conversation if you want. Not now, but in the evenings or on the weekends. Let me know if you'd like me to send your Miota back!

Possum
P
Thx for everything Alexa. Its fantastic to see Iota becoming a viable tool / currency.

"If you're up for some more testing, you can just shoot me a DM on Discord"

Wow.. didn't even know about Discord... Now I Do.. cool.... If its OK I enjoy the forums. that way I get everything right...

Let me know if you'd like me to send your Miota back!

Its yours.. My way of saying thx....

If it OK can I send you the smallest iota coin.. I want to see if I can send them too..... I guess I would need another address...

Cheers Possum....

Alexa
Alexa
Possum - 5 Jul 2018
Thx for everything Alexa. Its fantastic to see Iota becoming a viable tool / currency.

"If you're up for some more testing, you can just shoot me a DM on Discord"

Wow.. didn't even know about Discord... Now I Do.. cool.... If its OK I enjoy the forums. that way I get everything right...

Let me know if you'd like me to send your Miota back!

Its yours.. My way of saying thx....

If it OK can I send you the smallest iota coin.. I want to see if I can send them too..... I guess I would need another address...

Cheers Possum....

@Possum
thank you very much! I'll take good care of this precious Miota! You can still use the same address for sending its little brother Iota if you want to.

It's great that you enjoy the Forum! I do too! BigGrin
But even if the real time chatting on Discord isn’t your thing, I’d really recommend that you register and turn on notifications in the #announcements cannel. It’s the official way for the Foundation to communicate any relevant info, like the upcoming snapshot on Monday. This way you’ll never miss anything important. So, just in case you reconsider, here’s an invite: https://discord.gg/hgbDnBd

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search