Is it normal to have two transactions show up in the iota wallet history for each single withdrawal...

Is it normal to have two transactions show up in the iota wallet...
Author
T
Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Everytime a withdrawal is made from the exchange it always shows two withdrawal transaction with same address in the iota wallet history, is this normal?

And in one of the single withdrawals, one of the two transaction shows as pending and never completed? Thanks in advance.
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (10K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @Truths,

thanks for your question.
If you could give us an address, we could look it up on a tangle explorer and see what you see in your wallet.

But it sounds like you’re looking at a transaction and its reattachment, which is a bit like a „clone“ or a „copy“ of the original.
Reattach is the process by which you "re-attach" your transactions to a different part of the Tangle, in the hopes of getting your transaction accepted.
As such, you are completely redoing the transaction process (tip selection and Proof of Work).
When you withdraw from an exchange, the exchange will take care of reattaching a pending transaction until it’s confirmed.
It could also be more than one or two reattachments if needed.
However, only one of them can ever confirm, the other(s) will stay pending forever.

So, if that’s what you’re seeing in your wallet: yes, it’s normal.

Alexa

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Alexa
Alexa
Truths - 6 Apr 2018
Thanks. Yes one of the first single withdraws from binance has two transaction showing up in the history, one completed the other pending forever however the second single withdraw made later, had two transaction showing up in the history as both being completed and not one being pending... Is this normal to have some binance or bitfinex withdrawals having both transactions in the history showing as completed and another showing a completed and forever pending transaction?

Now it's getting a bit confusing.
Could you maybe post a screenshot of your wallet's history?

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Alexa
Alexa
Well, if those two confirmed transactions are reattaches of the same withdrawal, I don't think both could be confirmed.
Otherwise you'd have the amount you withdrew from the exchange credited to your wallet twice, right? 
That's why I'm confused by your question and I'd be interested in a screenshot.
If you don't feel safe posting it here in public, you're welcome PM me if you want to.

Truths
T
Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)
So binance reattaches the withdrawal to the wallet?
Alexa
Alexa
Yes, as far as I know all exchanges do so.
When you withdraw from an exchange, they'll take responsibility for getting the withdrawal confirmed and in order to do so they'll reattach pending transactions. 

When you send to an exchange, it's the other way around and it will be your own responsibility to get your deposit confirmed.

Truths
T
And the reattached transaction that the exchange sends is always pending forever?
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Truths - 6 Apr 2018
And the reattached transaction that the exchange sends is always pending forever?

@Truths 
Only one of the duplicate reattachments will eventually get confirmed while the others remain pending forever, yes. So if there are 3 identical transactions in your wallet (the original withdrawal and two reattachments), you'll see one get confirmed and then the other two will be pending forever.

Truths
T
How about when a single withdrawal from binance has both transactions in the iota wallet history say completed and not one of the two pending?
Edited 3 Years Ago by Truths
Alexa
Alexa
Truths - 7 Apr 2018
How about when a single withdrawal from binance has both transactions in the iota wallet history say completed and not one of the two pending?

I'm still confused by this question and I'd still be interested in a screenshot or an address or a transaction hash to be posted here or via PM so we can take a look at this.

Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
The transaction hash and destination address would also be helpful here. We can take a look at a tangle explorer with you and everyone will be able to see what's going on. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search