I accidently attached two addresses that are the same, is that unsafe? How do I cancel it?

I accidently attached two addresses that are the same, is that unsafe?...
Author
T
Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

I accidently attached two of the same address....

Is it unsafe? How do I cancel it?
LimePeach
LimePeach
Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (101 reputation)
No, that's fine, you can attach as many tangles as you want to your wallet, it will not affect your safety.
Truths
T
Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (73 reputation)
Thanks. The address that I accidently attached to tangle was the same as the previous recieve transaction. So how do I cancel it?
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Truths - 31 Mar 2018
Thanks. The address that I accidently attached to tangle was the same as the previous recieve transaction. So how do I cancel it?

@Truths 
There's no way to cancel a transaction (or an attachment in this case), but it doesn't matter. Multiple reattachments won't hurt anything.

Truths
T
So its okay for that repeat address that Iatrached to the tangle to be pending until admin or someone has ability to cancel it?
Alexa
Alexa
True IOTAn (9.6K reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi @Truths

nobody can cancel transactions or addresses, but you can just ignore this address.

The addresses that are generated from your seed will always be the same and they will always be in the same order.
So, for example if you've used address No. 5 before a snapshot, it always be generated as No. 5 again.
Your attaching this used address to the tangle is not an accident. In fact, you HAVE to generate all your used address before you can have any new, unused addresses to be generated. So it's perfectly fine to generate and attach all your used addresses and have them appear in the addresses-list in the "History"-tab of your wallet. We all have those and it's how it's supposed to be.

The important thing is to not re-use these addresses ever again to receive new funds to them!

Just generate as many addresses as you've used before a snapshot. Then only receive to addresses that are generated after your last used address.
In the future, the Trinity wallet will take care of all this automatically and there will be no need for the whole procedure after snapshots.
Until then, maybe this will help you understand: https://forum.helloiota.com/4659/How-do-I-prepare-for-a-snapshot

Alexa

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Truths
T
When exactly us trinity wallet coming out?
Alexa
Alexa
Nobody knows yet when exactly Trinity will be out. Updates are usually announced on Discord, Medium, Twitter and Reddit, so you almost can’t miss
it if there’s any news...
This is the most recent one: https://blog.iota.org/trinity-desktop-alpha-d41a0bbf934a

I wouldn't be able to help anyone without thetangle.org-explorer. If you feel like you want to support its developer Mathieu Viossat in maintaining his service, please consider a donation to the address shown here: https://thetangle.org/about. Thank you!
Truths
T
When you click the attach to tangle it shows a pending transaction in the history right? And its okay if you click on the attach to tangle button twice for the same address that was previously used to recieve?
Edited Last Year by Truths
Alexa
Alexa
Well, I’m not sure how you managed to do this, but it should really be fine.
Attaching an address to the tangle doesn’t reveal its private key, so there’s no security risk in attaching it more than once.
Attaching an address to the tangle therefore doesn’t count as „using“ or „reusing“ an address if that’s your question.

Just make sure not to receive funds to any address that ever had funds in it before.
If you’re not sure if an address had funds in it before, you can check the address history by pasting them in the search-field here: https://thetangle.org

CryptoKing
C
Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (171 reputation)
Oh wow how is it possible to attach two addresses to the same wallet?
Helga
H
Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)
Yes, it's possible. I also didn't know about it but my friend showed me. Actually I don't know for what reason it can be necessary to attach two addresses.
AnaMe
AnaMe
Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)
Helga - 6 May 2019
Yes, it's possible. I also didn't know about it but my friend showed me. Actually I don't know for what reason it can be necessary to attach two addresses.

both addresses were in his name, or names were different?
Helga
H
Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (14 reputation)
AnaMe - 12 May 2019
Helga - 6 May 2019

Both addresses as I remember
AnaMe
AnaMe
Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (59 reputation)
Helga - 14 May 2019
AnaMe - 12 May 2019
Helga - 6 May 2019

So, why is it necessary to attach two addresses? I don't get it
Crypt0Pro
Crypt0Pro
Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (84 reputation)
AnaMe - 19 May 2019
Helga - 14 May 2019
AnaMe - 12 May 2019
Helga - 6 May 2019

So, why is it necessary to attach two addresses? I don't get it

Maybe he made it by mistake, accidentally.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search