Address management / basic question

Author
S
Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello developers,

I am a newby on IOTA development, and I would like to clarify a question (or maybe lack of understanding on my side).

to send and receive IOTAs, one needs to create new addresses in the wallet and attach them to the tangle, correct?
as long as an address is NOT USED to SEND, it can be reused to RECEIVE IOTAs as often as one wishes (no security issue involved), correct?
as soon as a single address is used to SEND, for security reasons it should not be used anymore to RECEIVE, let alone SEND IOTAs, correct?

Is there a possibility to "protect" a specific address within the wallet, so it cannot be (accidently) used to SEND IOTAs?

If this would be possible, one could create a single address to RECEIVE IOTAs (and publish this address generally), and create "SEND IOTA" addresses, whenever the need arises.

Or am I misunderstanding some basic concepts here?

kind regards
ruediger Schultz
Schultz IT Solutions

Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
SchultzITsolutions - 12 Feb 2018
Hello developers,

I am a newby on IOTA development, and I would like to clarify a question (or maybe lack of understanding on my side).

to send and receive IOTAs, one needs to create new addresses in the wallet and attach them to the tangle, correct?
as long as an address is NOT USED to SEND, it can be reused to RECEIVE IOTAs as often as one wishes (no security issue involved), correct?
as soon as a single address is used to SEND, for security reasons it should not be used anymore to RECEIVE, let alone SEND IOTAs, correct?

Is there a possibility to "protect" a specific address within the wallet, so it cannot be (accidently) used to SEND IOTAs?

If this would be possible, one could create a single address to RECEIVE IOTAs (and publish this address generally), and create "SEND IOTA" addresses, whenever the need arises.

Or am I misunderstanding some basic concepts here?

kind regards
ruediger Schultz
Schultz IT Solutions

@SchultzITsolutions
Thanks for the questions.

Incorrect. the address doesn't need to be attached to the tangle in order to receive funds at that address. The process of sending a transaction does the PoW necessary to attach the address anyway.

Yes.
Here's a quick explanation of how addresses work:
https://matthewwinstonjohnson.gitbooks.io/iota-guide-and-faq/how-addresses-work.html

Correct.

You could definitely write this into a custom wallet if you wanted this feature. Just program it to skip a certain index (or range of indices).

Read the link posted above that explains how addresses work. That might help you to clarify this question/understanding.

Hopefully that helps get you on the right track. Thanks for the questions.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search