two factor autherication protocol

Author
D
Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)Attaching to Tangle (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
hi Iota Foundation,
            After the recent hack by malicious seed generating websites; I was thinking about a security protocol to stop this happening even if the hacker gets your seed. In theory there is a probability that a hacker can hard hack your password or private key or seed on their first guess. This may be a extremely low, but the laws of probability say it can be done. And the probability increases after every attempt. That's why I am writing to you. Is there any chance that you can add a type of 2 factor Authentication protocol on the wallet? Like google Authentication or SMS Authentication, or a type of notification system. That can be selected to be put in use or not.         
I really like your idea for a cryptocurrency, it will help a lot with internet shopping. No one can say they haven't have or don't know some one who has had their card details stolen at some point in time because of online shopping.

Thank you
WARRANT
Winston
Winston
Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)Forum Admin (33K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Drop Collision - 28 Jan 2018
hi Iota Foundation,
            After the recent hack by malicious seed generating websites; I was thinking about a security protocol to stop this happening even if the hacker gets your seed. In theory there is a probability that a hacker can hard hack your password or private key or seed on their first guess. This may be a extremely low, but the laws of probability say it can be done. And the probability increases after every attempt. That's why I am writing to you. Is there any chance that you can add a type of 2 factor Authentication protocol on the wallet? Like google Authentication or SMS Authentication, or a type of notification system. That can be selected to be put in use or not.         
I really like your idea for a cryptocurrency, it will help a lot with internet shopping. No one can say they haven't have or don't know some one who has had their card details stolen at some point in time because of online shopping.

Thank you

@Drop Collision
Thanks for the post, and welcome to the community.

It's not possible to add 2FA to cryptocurrency private keys or seeds in a trustless decentralized way. Bitcoin, Ethereum, IOTA, and all the rest can't use 2FA for this reason. Make sure to read up on this subject, because you'll understand why this is after spending some time with these protocols.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search